Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Re: Basket Cases

Postby Bully fanatic » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :Bultaco:

brent j
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: RL250
Club: Darwin motorcyle club

Postby brent j » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:06 pm

Greg Harding wrote: Very interesting Brent, back in 2015 I was using increments of 15 mm and in 2020 you are using increments of 20 mm! Excellent explanation photos with great depiction, you certainly have an eye for detail! There is a fair bit of effort that goes into these modifications, a lot more than I think most people realize. All this time I thought I had the patent on adding random flatbar/ plate to the bottom of saw horses to take out the rock? You have reminded me about the Ups and Downs of modifying bikes......

Thank you for the comments Greg. I've able to do the work fairly quickly so far thanks to your photos and advice. Yes there is a LOT of work in this even when you follow someone else. I was able to take big steps (or cuts) as you'd done the work in the first place.

The photos of the "Sqeamish" have certainly added to my enthusiasm but it's still going to be a few months before I'm finished.

I actually broke one of my own rules on the weekend. I fitted footpegs and brackets taken from a DRZ250. I made the mounts adjustable for height and added the brake lever bracket to the RHS mount so the brake would move with the peg.
BUT, I mounted the brake without the swingarm fitted so of course it fouled on the swingarm when I tried to fit it. DOH!

brent j
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby brent j » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:52 pm

Here's an example of why one off projects take so long. I need to fit the footpegs in a different position to std. I got some pegs and mounts from a Suzuki DRZ250. I wanted to have a couple of options for height. I made brackets with two sets of holes, 20mm apart. First thing, do they clear the swingarm in both positions? Will the kick start lever clear them? Is there clearance for the brake pedal and will the kickstart clear that?. Will the kick start clear in both positions? Will the brake pedal give sufficient movement in both positions? To eliminate the need to change adjustment in either position I fixed the brake pedal pivot to the footpeg bracket so the pedal moves with the peg. Now the back wheel is fitted, due to the extra 45mm in the swingarm the brake anchor arm had to be lengthened to suit. As the wheel is moved back and forward in it's adjustment the brake backing plate rotates and so changes the angle of the cable. This must be accounted for to prevent the cable from being kinked. With the wheel at max rear and the brake adjusted I need to set the front cable anchor. This will be mounted on the brake pedal bracket as well. You need as much as possible mounted as you add each piece and check it against every other piece on the bike.
Attachments
Brake stuff.jpg
Brake stuff.jpg (77.71 KiB) Viewed 2810 times

brent j
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby brent j » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:55 pm

The front of the tank has been trimmed and needs to be radiused and welded. The tank was too long since the frame has been shortened by 35mm between the front and rear tank mounts. I haven't changed the mounts on the tank but have moved the mount on the frame forward. While I can weld the tank easily I'm not prepared to take the chance as I don't know when it had fuel in it last or what residue may be left in it. It also weighs about twice as much as it should. Off to the tanker repair place this week.
Attachments
Tank mods.jpg
Tank mods.jpg (19.14 KiB) Viewed 2810 times

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Final Drive Ratios

Postby Greg Harding » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:19 pm

Hi Everyone,
brent j wrote:Here's an example of why one off projects take so long. I need to fit the footpegs in a different position to std. I got some pegs and mounts from a Suzuki DRZ250. I wanted to have a couple of options for height. I made brackets with two sets of holes, 20mm apart. First thing, do they clear the swingarm in both positions? Will the kick start lever clear them? Is there clearance for the brake pedal and will the kickstart clear that?. Will the kick start clear in both positions? Will the brake pedal give sufficient movement in both positions? To eliminate the need to change adjustment in either position I fixed the brake pedal pivot to the footpeg bracket so the pedal moves with the peg. Now the back wheel is fitted, due to the extra 45mm in the swingarm the brake anchor arm had to be lengthened to suit. As the wheel is moved back and forward in it's adjustment the brake backing plate rotates and so changes the angle of the cable. This must be accounted for to prevent the cable from being kinked. With the wheel at max rear and the brake adjusted I need to set the front cable anchor. This will be mounted on the brake pedal bracket as well. You need as much as possible mounted as you add each piece and check it against every other piece on the bike.

Brent, can I add to your list as I am not sure where you are up to with regards to gearing and shock length? Are you going to choose 428 or 520 chain and sprockets? Just my opinion but 520 is my first choice on any 200 or bigger as there are less pivots to wear out. Working out final drive ratios and shock lengths will give you an idea where the chain will be in relation to swingarm pivot at all points through travel and that is fairly critical. The SQUEAMISH has 54T and 11T 520 chain which is about the right ratio for me as it gives me a hard to stall 1st gear for picking my way through tight/rough stuff. When it is a bit short like when punching up something, I simply use 2nd. As you know, the lower the final drive ratio, the closer the gears become and gearing is a personal choice thing like pretty much all of the variables! The shocks are 358 mm between centre's NJB Trik shocks and I am Very happy with them!

Another thing that I have learnt is IF you buy a good quality chain and look after it, you rarely need to adjust the chain tension which is helpful to know when you are setting up a bike. CZ chains used to be my first choice (Hello Geoff) as they have/had holes punched in the inside plates and flat on top and bottom that ran really smoothly over the chain tensioner. However the importer stopped bringing them in and my supply dried up unless someone else knows where I could but them now? So what I am saying is if you work out ratios, chain type and shock length, you can fairly accurately predict where the axle will be, remembering that half link chains are available.

As for the brake stay/anchor arm, it is something that I have played with as well and some of my bikes have 2 as I found the second attempt can work better. Not so critical on a :suzuki as it uses an inner/outer cable so there is no variation of pedal height through travel.

Here is a photo of my spare 520 sprockets, 39T to 55 T:
1585450647176.jpg
1585450647176.jpg (113.74 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

Yeah I know, Government cutbacks so only 1 photo!

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Kurt
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Montesa, SWM, Ossa
Club: TMTC

Postby Kurt » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:52 am

All you need now is a derailleur for 520 chains and you're laughing

Kurt
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Kurt » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:33 pm

To Indulge Greg, Here is the SWM TL320 bare frame weight. 7.7Kg on the scales.
IMG_0947.jpg
IMG_0947.jpg (767.53 KiB) Viewed 2527 times

I'm in the process of giving the blonde cougar a well deserved facelift.

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: GG & Fantic.
Club: Trials Club of Qld.

Postby Rod » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:10 pm

Hey Kurt, can you divulge what BLUE you have chosen to match the SWM Pernod Blue ?
I've was told some time ago that the Suburu WRX metallic blue from years ago is close, I got a can mixed up at the auto shop ages ago and it is indeed close but not spot on, curious if you know of a better match ? I have also found Toyota "Tidal Blue" to be close but a little too much metalic I thought. Cheers, Rod.

Kurt
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Kurt » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:43 pm

I am going to use the Subaru Blue and see what I think.
The metallicness part might not look right but I’ll see when it’s finished.
A bit of sparkle might make her like me more

I wonder if you emailed Pernod Ricard if they would tell you what their blue colour code is?

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:44 pm

Kurt, to you she may be a blonde cougar. To me she is a very hot babe 8)

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”