Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

outforfun
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: WDTC

Re: Basket Cases

Postby outforfun » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:17 am

Greg, I have a bit of information about our conversation Re fuel in tankers. I had a chance to talk with a Shell tanker driver and he informed me that all of the individual tanks are labeled with the contents. Thus reducing the risk of cross contamination of fuel types....

I still don't like the stuff we get now compared with the old super I used to run in my car....

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:13 pm

Why limit yourself to just making a new replica fuel tank from HARDWOOD when you can create this:

https://www.facebook.com/RidiculousRide ... 641424613/

relax, nothing is under control

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:18 pm

Bluddyell! Someone's STILL on farcebook! :P

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

steel fuel tanks

Postby David Lahey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:54 am

I am starting to work on a couple of TY250A (steel) fuel tanks and was curious to see if I could tell if there was any bog in one of them.
The nice-looking one is original paint and has never been rusty inside - 2389 grams.

The yuk yellow one is dented and looks like some of the dents have been pushed out using a tool inserted through the filler hole. It has a coat of yellow put over the dented areas with the :yamaha decals masked off by a previous owner. From what I could tell by looking at where I could see under the yuk yellow, the original paint is still underneath. It looks like it has never been rusty inside - 2386 grams.

The unpainted tank has been rusty both inside and outside and been treated with acid and had pinholes soft-soldered all by previous owners - 1810 grams.

From this I'm fairly sure the yuk yellow tank has no bog and the unpainted tank is not very robust.

My plan is to pull a sharp dent out of the yuk yellow tank and redecorate it. Still deciding what look to give it.
Attachments
IMAG5602(1).jpg
IMAG5602(1).jpg (894.86 KiB) Viewed 4722 times

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

TY250A tank repair

Postby David Lahey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:01 pm

The yuk yellow tank has cracks in the usual location
Attachments
IMAG5601.jpg
IMAG5601.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 4722 times

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:56 pm

Well you could cut the yuk tank open and then panel beat all the dents and finish it all to a file finish and then paint it all. Only after you have welded it all back up of course. Fresh paint and welding don`t go together very well for some strange reason. Not too sure why? Or you could make a mould and make a lovely fiberglass tank the same shape and not be affected by rust ever again. Or you could just thow the lot in a bin and replace all of the bits with :Bultaco: parts and live happily ever after! Just a suggestion! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Italjet Myths

Postby Greg Harding » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi Everyone,
David Lahey wrote:It's interesting that the dye only coloured the plastic where the UV damage was

David Lahey wrote:I'm thinking maybe 100 grams of orange dye from the petrol has become incorporated in the plastic, which does make it look nicer, but you would be the first person I've ever heard propose that adding weight to a fuel tank was something to celebrate

Wait a minute David, you said poly pipe has 3% CARBON and that is why it is BLACK! Now you are saving 10% ORANGE dye only gives a slight tint of orange! Could you be Wrong? Interesting how I can say Wrong when not referring to me!
And then:
David Lahey wrote:Now I know that it has the standard size pilot jet, "runs fine when cold" + "starts fine when cold" + "when warmed up fully, stalls at random and won't start" + 34 years old motorbike = failing capacitor (usually)

Complete opposite, bang on the Money!
Let me explain:
Last Friday I simply removed the standard capacitor and fitted a :suzuki LJ 50 one that I had here near the head stem under the tank. Test rode fine and I breathed a sigh of relief as we were about to drive to Tamborine for LRMTC Club Trial. What an excellent day at a nice green Venue! I always like Trials with a water splash. The :italjet: didn't miss a beat and started first kick all day so pretty sure problem solved. And then this weekend just gone, we rode the SQTA Trial at Busbys Flat, I rode the :italjet: around on Saturday checking sections. All fine but after riders briefing on Sunday when heading off to the first section, the clutch cable snapped at the perch so I had to do a Ross Grimsey:
Ross Grimsey wrote:The guy who won the australian title in 1978 rode all day with no clutch because of broken cable and he just started the bike pushed it and slipped into gear and kept going, it was no big deal any of the top riders of the day could have done it but I cant imagine it happening today even in a twin shock event

Well Ross, not a Twinshock event but a Twinshock bike now without a clutch lever and the cable tied to the bars. It is amazing how much I use the clutch now that I have had to go without. The :italjet: was probably a good bike for it to happen to as it has a fairly heavy flywheel effect, smooth rideable power delivery and enough power to tow a box trailer through a Creek Crossing. Today's sections are fairly tight on a half blue "C" and half yellow "B" Division 2 line and I got caught out a couple of times pointing at a tree or rock with a forced stall. Very challenging but rewarding to get clean rides with a little planning and thinking on your feet. Another excellent Trial at another nice green venue and the :italjet: didn't miss a beat. So after I replace the clutch cable, I think I have ironed out all of the problems, I might even invest in a genuine Tomaselli clutch lever and perch to match the front brake?
1524478743735.jpg
1524478743735.jpg (100.39 KiB) Viewed 4540 times

1524478805094.jpg
1524478805094.jpg (124.21 KiB) Viewed 4540 times

1524478841750.jpg
1524478841750.jpg (133.59 KiB) Viewed 4540 times

1524478968089.jpg
1524478968089.jpg (129.46 KiB) Viewed 4540 times

So many :italjet: Myths and I think the only one totally confirmed was:
The GREEN on GREEN model with GOLD rims doesn't get much Love!

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:36 pm

Well done Greg. You would be correct in thinking that Tomaselli levers have a very good leverage ratio. The only one better is an Amal lever. I nearly have that M 49 I have been working on back together now. Just need to paint the tank and airbox cover. I`ll get some photos up very soon. The only thing which looks a bit iffy is the owner didn`t want me to pull the wheels apart so the hubs are a bit ordinary and I`m not hand polishing between the spokes. He can do that.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:08 pm

No surprise that clutch cable on the :italjet: Feather broke. From memory it was on it's last legs a couple of Easters ago. That one is a sweet bike to ride.
What is about the Green and Gold :italjet: that makes the difference?

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: GG & Fantic.
Club: Trials Club of Qld.

Postby Rod » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:12 pm

I didn't think you could still get Tommaselli levers and perches as per original, I thought they got absorbed by Domino years ago ?
Please let me know if you know otherwise. Cheers.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”