Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Basket Cases

Postby David Lahey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:40 pm

I remember the piston was bought from Don Newell and was from a rare model Bultaco (not a 340 Sherpa T or a Pursang). I think I might have written it in the bike's log. I'll have a check and repost.
26mm carby is big enough for that Alpina. It goes like a shot. One thing I was surprised about was that the inlet pipe that I took off was made for a bigger carby than the flange mount 27mm AMAL concentric that was on it. The hole in the inlet pipe was 30mm. The inlet pipe I put on to suit the spigot mount carbies was 28mm bore. No idea what it is off but it fits perfectly so may be from a later model 350 Alpina.

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:55 pm

I didn't write the piston type in the bike log (just the cost - gulp!), but the name el Tigre comes to mind. I do remember it must have been for a bridged exhaust port motor as there was an oil hole in the front side

JC1
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bul, KT, TY
Club: wdtc

Postby JC1 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:29 am

David,

It was probably a 360 El Montadero or Bandito piston. El Tigre was a 250 engine (same as Metralla engine)

"Men are never more likely to settle a matter rightly than when they can discuss it freely"

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks John - El Montadero is ringing a bell

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:40 pm

Ok today I decided to try my luck with yet another carby on the Alpina. It is a new VM Mikuni I bought for my Majesty, but could not get to work properly on the Majesty (TY250D motor). It was advertised as being supplied jetted ready for that motor but I know that the late Mark Beechy and I tried for months (Mark bought one too) to get them working well. I gave up eventually and bought a swag of new parts for the standard Yamaha OEM Mikuni and it then ran like a dream.
For the Alpina first off I checked the Mikuni book and discovered that the "pre-jetted" Mikuni I had bought still had the off-the-shelf standard needle and needle jet (the expensive bits), but at least it had been rejetted with a smaller pilot jet and smaller main jet. Anyway I experimented with various mains and pilots today on the Alpina and ended up having success everywhere except in the range where the pilot jet is important. It was still lean on a 40 and the biggest pilot jet I had was a 40 and standard is a 60 so I hope to get a 60 and a 50 from the local bike shop and see if one of those works.
I'm sure Graham will be happy that this Mikuni is a 28mm and that yes it feels even more powerful at the top end than with the 26mm KT250 carby. If the new 28mm carby works OK with the pilot jetting sorted out, it will probably be staying on the Alpina. The KT250 carby is destined for service on my M198 Bultaco (another basket case)

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:24 pm

David, Just to let you know that any inlet spigot off any of the Bultacos will go on any other Bully so the one you took off could be off any model. The El Montadero was the trail version of the El Bandido and used more or less the same engines but had lights. I am working on an El Bandito at the moment getting it ready to race for next year but I don`t have to pull the head and barrel off it so I can`t have a look inside it. A lot of the high performance Bullies used little holes in the exhaust port side of the piston to help lubricate the hot side of the barrel. Graham.

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:29 am

My poor TY is looking a bit like a basket case with the barrel off being checked,measured and honed ready for the new rings to fitted onto the piston soon...

Feet up, as always!

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:22 pm

Stu wrote:My poor TY is looking a bit like a basket case with the barrel off being checked,measured and honed ready for the new rings to fitted onto the piston soon...

Yes bikes do look sad when they are apart. Its a good time of year to do things to them though because it is usually too wet or too hot to go on a decent ride.

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Honed and ready for the rings!!!

Feet up, as always!

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TY175, OSSA MAR
Club: WDTC

Postby Mark K » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:45 am

David Lahey wrote:(IN REPLY TO GREG'S PHOTO)
........ I couldn't help but wonder .............
My first idea is: Something to do with .......... Ok maybe not
Next idea: You were wanting to ..........
Next idea: You were in town having .........
Next idea: You really think the ...........
Next idea: You have ridden (and won) ........

David, I suspect you are trying to read too much into this. I have a different and much simpler theory. I reckon that if you thought that people would believe you had that hardware, and a big banana, then you'd want to show it off too.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”