Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Re: Basket Cases

Postby Bully fanatic » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:29 pm

I had forgotten about that bike David. It was very interesting though. I can remember there being a few 10 tooth front sprockets being around for a Bultaco many years ago in a 520 size but all the dealers said don`t use them. Just go up in teeth on the rear. I think that is why where are none of those around these days. :Bultaco:

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:13 pm

Graham I'm really happy with the 12T 428 sprocket. I've been doing lots of test and tune with the :Bultaco: M49 lately getting the bike and myself ready for the Qld Titles. I've done a few tankfuls of riding over the past month and am getting quite good with left foot braking and dare not ride a :kawasaki :yamaha :montesa right foot brake bike until after this event.

relax, nothing is under control

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Re: Honda CREATION

Postby Greg Harding » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:47 pm

Hi Everyone,
David Lahey wrote:
Greg Harding wrote:For some reason I think you asked me another question BUT I have forgotten what it was David?

No you haven't :shock: you are just avoiding it :roll:

Ah, after a reread, I found it:
David Lahey wrote: What I'm keen to hear about is what you have found about the way the bloody :Honda: compares with the TLR200 from a rider's perspective.

Well David, you have ridden the BLOODY :Honda: AND you have an excellent memory so let's start with a Virtual ride:
1593601931965.jpg
1593601931965.jpg (151.92 KiB) Viewed 2218 times

What I'm keen to hear about is what you you think of the brakes?????

Graham, going smaller on the front of a :Bultaco: doesn't make much sense because of how far back the swing arm pivot is. Going bigger on the rear helps to alleviate the clearance problem even if it creates a new problem with the low side of the chain rubbing on crossmember between frame rails, just my thoughts.

Oh and just for the record and trying to avoid the EYE-TAL-JET / IT- AL-JET confusion! :italjet:

It is TLAhhhhhhhhhhhh

Now say it out loud
TLAhhhhhhhhhhhh

And again louder so I can hear
TLAhhhhhhhhhhhh

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Honda CREATION

Postby David Lahey » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:50 pm

Greg Harding wrote:Hi Everyone,
David Lahey wrote:
Greg Harding wrote:For some reason I think you asked me another question BUT I have forgotten what it was David?

No you haven't :shock: you are just avoiding it :roll:

Ah, after a reread, I found it:
David Lahey wrote: What I'm keen to hear about is what you have found about the way the bloody :Honda: compares with the TLR200 from a rider's perspective.

Well David, you have ridden the BLOODY :Honda: AND you have an excellent memory so let's start with a Virtual ride:
1593601931965.jpg

What I'm keen to hear about is what you you think of the brakes?????

Graham, going smaller on the front of a :Bultaco: doesn't make much sense because of how far back the swing arm pivot is. Going bigger on the rear helps to alleviate the clearance problem even if it creates a new problem with the low side of the chain rubbing on crossmember between frame rails, just my thoughts.

Oh and just for the record and trying to avoid the EYE-TAL-JET / IT- AL-JET confusion! :italjet:

It is TLAhhhhhhhhhhhh

Now say it out loud
TLAhhhhhhhhhhhh

And again louder so I can hear
TLAhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well a virtual ride on the Hardwood T L ahhhhhhh is probably a good thing because if I had a real ride down there in the lush mountain terrain, I'd be worried about getting more bullet holes in the tank. Have you been riding too close to some hemp production facilities again?

relax, nothing is under control

brent j
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: RL250
Club: Darwin motorcyle club

Postby brent j » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:49 pm

The motor is ready to go back into my RL250. I got hold of a TS250A motor with the TM style clutch release and magneto cover. It also had the oil pump so I'm reusing that to feed oil only to the LHS main bearing then from the slinger to the catcher on the crank and onto the big end. The TS crank was in great shape and had the oil feed gear in place.
I'm only using the fixed delivery oil line so the other one has been diverted back into the feed line from the oil tank to prevent a build up of pressure.
Attachments
21 RL oil pump.jpg
21 RL oil pump.jpg (72.39 KiB) Viewed 2019 times

brent j
B grade participant
B grade participant

Today is a good day!

Postby brent j » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:10 pm

Who's a happy boy then?????????
Attachments
guards.jpg
guards.jpg (233.54 KiB) Viewed 1965 times

brent j
B grade participant
B grade participant

RL250 fork length

Postby brent j » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:51 pm

Can someone get a measurement for me off a std RL250 please.

I’d like to know the distance from the front axle to the top of the fork leg with the forks fully extended.
With the bike on a stand and the front wheel just off the ground would be great as it’s a repeatable reference for me.

My bike appears to have SP250 fork legs and they could be longer than RL, I’m trying to work this out.

Thanks.

JC1
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bul, KT, TY
Club: wdtc

Postby JC1 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:50 pm

From centre of axle to top of stanchion tube (not the cap), forks fully extended, 79cm

"Men are never more likely to settle a matter rightly than when they can discuss it freely"

brent j
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby brent j » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:37 pm

JC1 wrote:From centre of axle to top of stanchion tube (not the cap), forks fully extended, 79cm

Thank you JC1

JC1
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bul, KT, TY
Club: wdtc

Postby JC1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:48 am

Brent, I just went back to p228 and the pics of your bike and you are correct in thinking they are not RL forks on it. The RL sliders are quite different shape at the bottom, above and below the axle. Also RL forks have the oil drain screw at the back not the side and do not have a lug on LH slider for the brake cable.

"Men are never more likely to settle a matter rightly than when they can discuss it freely"

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”