Basket Cases

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Re: Basket Cases

Postby Greg Harding » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi Everyone,

David, you have bought to my attention another part that I would like to have for the KT. This one has lost his mate, does anyone know where to find another? It wouldn't worry me if it's cracked and or has mounting lugs missing, if so they would be a perfect match.
IMGP6087.JPG

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:16 pm

Greg, this one looks to be quite a good match, but is currently about 1100km away from your workshop. Would you like it posted or wait until it can be transported another way?
Attachments
IMAG0478.jpg
IMAG0479.jpg

relax, nothing is under control

yamaico
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby yamaico » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:16 am

New to the trials scene but wanted something to take to CD9, and managed to pick up an old CT3 Yamaha off a mate for free that had been sitting out in the weather for a number of years. Surprisingly, the motor was in great condition and still on standard bore.

DSC00242a.JPG

Stripped the bike down to the frame and then set about modifying it with the help of some invaluable input from David Lahey and John Cuff (JC1), which included lowering the seat rails, pulling the head angle in, increasing the ground clearance, changing the trail and repositioning the footrests.

DSC00255a.JPG

DSC00308a.JPG

Wanted to use the original CT tank so cut 25mm out of the centre and made up a screw-in cap to replace the flip-top original.

DSC00291a.JPG

The pipe was a source of much discussion, and ended up making one with a long header pipe, shallow diffuser, steep baffle cone and fitted a baffle tube inside. Made an aluminium muffler packed with fibreglass to keep it nice and quiet.

DSC00314a.JPG

The CT frame has a centre backbone so the pipe was made to run down the side to the swingarm pivot and back up, and tucks in quite nicely. Made the obligatory rhs sidestand.

DSC00320a.JPG

DSC00322a.JPG

Made a linkage for the gearlever as my left foot is not 1 metre long.

DSC00379b.JPG

Rebuilt the engine just with bearings, seals and gaskets and a standard piston and rings ($20 off ebay). Rebuilt the wheels, painted the frame, tank and guards (the green may offend, but it's what I had in the shed), made the seat and got it covered outside. The front guard is off a softtail Harley with the original CT mounting brackets and the rear guard is a fibreglass Montesa Cappra replica.

DSC00384a.JPG

DSC00380a.JPG

Total cost was under $600 as I used a lot of bits and pieces out of my junk pile. I gave it a run yesterday and it pulls nicely from nothing and seems to work quite well. All in all, a good fun project.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:58 am

That looks fantastic Pete especially that cool exhaust

relax, nothing is under control

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:34 pm

Looks a very good job for that money, and the only thing that could be improved upon is the very long front pipe to silencer connecting tube, which will tend to stop the bike revving out fully and will reduce top end power a bit.

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:20 am

If I can find a wreck like that will you build me a bike like that for $600 ? I'll be over in the new year to try it out ! =D>

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:09 am

This year there were a couple of Fantams (Fantic top end on Bantam crankcases) competing in the Scottish 2 Day "65" event. I would guess that without the costly modern frame, and required billet alloy parts, a clubman type Fantam could be built very cheaply.

yamaico
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby yamaico » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:06 am

FM350 wrote:Looks a very good job for that money, and the only thing that could be improved upon is the very long front pipe to silencer connecting tube, which will tend to stop the bike revving out fully and will reduce top end power a bit.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Do you mean the header pipe or the stinger pipe, and what length should it be exactly? Does it really matter if top end power is reduced - I was really looking for bottom end power, which it seems to have .
David Lahey wrote:That looks fantastic Pete especially that cool exhaust

Thanks to your help David.
Jon V8 wrote:If I can find a wreck like that will you build me a bike like that for $600 ? I'll be over in the new year to try it out ! =D>

No problem, I'll get started tonight :D

JC1
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bul, KT, TY
Club: wdtc

Postby JC1 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:56 am

It looks a real treat, Pete. A credit to you.

Glad to hear it rides nicely too.

"Men are never more likely to settle a matter rightly than when they can discuss it freely"

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:03 am

If you are satisfied with how it runs then no problem, but on small capacity motors the ability to rev out fully is often helpful.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”