Swiss cheese mod KT on UK ebay

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

garrison
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: KT250

Swiss cheese mod KT on UK ebay

Postby garrison » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:31 am

When drill presses attack?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KAWASAKI-KT-250-K ... 286.c0.m14

In this instance all the holes lined up in the swiss cheese model to allow the swiss chees mod... :shock:

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Re: Swiss cheese mod KT on UK ebay

Postby Westy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:45 pm

To save bugger all mass and now the bike looks terrible.
I know that's how weight loss was done back in the day but:
a) The cooling fins of the cylinder and head won't cool the engine as well as they should,
b) More dirt and rubbish will get into the front sprocket.
So for a weight saving of equal to the mass of little finger that bike probably runs a little hotter because of the fantastic fins.
I think I'll get my bike out now and drill some holes in the tyres and rims and even my spokes because we all know that the less unsprung weight you have the better performance you'll get.
Maybe if I drill some holes in the brake surface of my drums perhaps I'll get better braking because I'll get some cooling.
Why weren't there any holes drilled in the engine cover on the other side? By doing so you could have had a clutch and transmission with air cooled oil.
Remove the kick started and you'll save some weight. Hand grips... who needs those? Mud guards? Well mud guards collect mud and thus add more weight to your bike. Avoid mud and save mass and throw the guards away.
Sand all the paint off = less mass. Install one shoe in each brake = less mass. Remove 4th and 5th gears = less mass. Replace the seat with cardboard = less mass. Replace tank with a 1 litre water bottle = less mass. Remove some plates from the clutch = less mass. Install half the oil you need = less mass. Use a grinder to cut new tread into bald tyres = less mass. Replace air with Hydrogen in the tyres = less mass.
What else?

Is it time to ride yet?

garrison
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: KT250

Postby garrison » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:03 pm

I assumed it was for cooling, maybe it was done for weight saving after all. Carbon fibre name plate is a give away.

Personally, I find hollowed out or cross drilled spokes to be the best mod for unsprung weight. :-"

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:07 pm

Did you notice where the seller lives:

Item location: Dorking, United Kingdom

I suppose if you come from there you are a ..............Dork? :roll: :lol: #-o

(Sorry, couldn't let that one slip, my apologies to anyone from that part of the world)

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:30 pm

ha ha ha i'm glad you wrote that subs. It was my first thought. I typed it but didn't have the balls so i deleted it.

Less surface area = less convection. Holes = turbulence. Those mods = dork. Totally. Go the carbon fibre!

Is it time to ride yet?

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:55 pm

Actually, apart from all the work required in destroying a classic, my initial thought was how much of a pain it would be to clean after a muddy ride, its hard enough to clean fins on a air cooled bike thoroughly as it is without the holes!

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”