TY 175 fork preload spacers

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: TY 175 fork preload spacers

Postby David Lahey » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:32 pm

If it is a late model Sherpa T the front tyre would hit the frame and the exhaust pipe.
Your frame might be different. The increased trail would make the steering geometry worse for trials

relax, nothing is under control

Reid
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY175
Club: CVMG Montreal

Postby Reid » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:40 pm

This is quite interesting to me because I have just picked up a set of TY250 forks and triple clamps for my 76 TY175.
Nice to know the front wheel will work etc. Just a couple more questions.

1. Will the stock front fender of the TY175 bolt right on to the TY250 forks or do I need to set up a different fender?

2. Do you need to drop the TY250 forks 20mm in the clamps like the stock forks to make it turn, or can you run the TY250 forks flush even though they are the same length?

3. tytrials recommends going to longer shocks and setting the stock forks to flush. As I am about to order shocks, should I go with the longer shocks or standard length if I am going to use the TY250 forks.

Greatly appreciate all the info! Great forum!

Reid

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:04 am

Reid wrote:This is quite interesting to me because I have just picked up a set of TY250 forks and triple clamps for my 76 TY175.
Nice to know the front wheel will work etc. Just a couple more questions.

1. Will the stock front fender of the TY175 bolt right on to the TY250 forks or do I need to set up a different fender? TY250 and TY175 front mudguards are the same

2. Do you need to drop the TY250 forks 20mm in the clamps like the stock forks to make it turn, or can you run the TY250 forks flush even though they are the same length?
It depends on how you set up the sag on the TY250 forks. The way it steers will depend on the height of the front of the bike with rider aboard. A good place to start would be with the 20mm sticking out the top.

3. tytrials recommends going to longer shocks and setting the stock forks to flush. As I am about to order shocks, should I go with the longer shocks or standard length if I am going to use the TY250 forks.
Yes you can retain the standard steering rake that way, and increase ground clearance and wheelbase.
I don't know how much longer tytrials is suggesting. Most TY175s I'm familiar with are set up with 340mm shockies and the fork tubes 20mm through the clamps, which provides a steeper steering rake than the standard setup (standard TY shockies were about 320mm). Some people want their bike higher off the ground and some want it the same height or lower (for kids to more easily ride). Some want sharper steering than standard. What is it that you want?

Greatly appreciate all the info! Great forum!

Reid

relax, nothing is under control

Reid
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY175
Club: CVMG Montreal

Postby Reid » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:17 pm

"Some people want their bike higher off the ground and some want it the same height or lower (for kids to more easily ride). Some want sharper steering than standard. What is it that you want?"

I want both! LOL!
I'm pretty happy with the way the bike turns with the stock forks dropped 20mm in the clamps and the standard length shocks, but it could always turn better.
According to TrailandtrialsUK, the stock shocks are 340mm in length and they recommend 360mm. They also recommend dropping the forks flush in the triple clamps with the longer shocks. I'd like a little more ground clearance than the way I have it set up at the moment (stock forks dropped 20mm in the clamps and stock rear shocks), so I may go with the longer shocks and play around with fork height and sag.

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Postby Starky » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:58 pm

I will buy in here.

I just got a set of 360mm Betors from Trail and Trials in the UK. I dropped the front forks down so the tube is flush with the top of the triple clamp. The bike certainly feels higher. I rode it for the first time today. Clearance is great. I can just ride over the logs I practice on where before I would wheelie over.

As for quicker steering - I am not sure yet. There is a different feel about it but I think it is pretty much on par with what it was before. The front end did wash out a little but again I think that was me not the bike. I think I will keep playing with it a little more, but I am happy with it.

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”