TLR200 frame mods

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Gippslander
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Looking
Club: Not yet

TLR200 frame mods

Postby Gippslander » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:55 pm

Hi,

I'm new here -- and new to trials -- too old for MX so time to see if I have another life!!!

Have a TLR200 project bike -- bone standard, have been reading about a bit steeper head stem angle, footpeg move and a slightly longer swing arm -- any suggestions or are they ok as is?

Any fork mods that are recomended?

What shocks are good -- I am 13 1/2 stone.

Any other mods that are "usual practice" to any component?

Reason I ask is that it's getting the full rebuild over winter and I might as well have a go at things whilst it's apart.

Thanks

Michael

Gippsland

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Re: TLR200 frame mods

Postby PA » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:02 am

Gippslander wrote:... it's getting the full rebuild over winter and I might as well have a go at things whilst it's apart.

Ride over Winter, do your rebuild over Summer.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:13 pm

PA you look different somehow

relax, nothing is under control

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:34 pm

David Lahey wrote:PA you look different somehow

Err, I fell in the toilet.

brownie
TA Supporter
TA Supporter
Bike: Bultaco's
Club: denman

Postby brownie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi Micheal,

they are a pretty good bike to start with the only mods I'd do are
Widen the footpegs see BJ Racing US site to get the idea
400 mm shocks see trail and trial UK betors seem a good deal
Higher handlebars for us older folk
The tank seat units from Shedworks UK look pretty good but expensive by the time you get them here
All in all the sort of bike thats enjoyable to ride with very little maintenance to do, more time for riding
Talk to you soon
Ross

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:54 pm

The footpegs lowering mod is really for ergomonics sake if the rider is relatively tall or has a crook back. Higher bars have the same effect. If the rider has short legs, lower footpegs would be the last thing they would want as their bum would then hit the rear guard and seat with greater frequency when unweighting the rear end.
Steepening the steering is something that some TLR owners have done while others can't see the point. It has the effect of making the steering lighter when the bike is stationary. Depending on how the angle change is achieved, it may also shorten the wheelbase and change the front-rear balance.
Lengthening the swingarm will improve stability when driving up steep hills and when turning from across a slope to up the slope. It will also change the front rear balance and mean that you will have to make the front wheel take a wider line in tight turns. Its not a coincidence that the best twinshock trials bikes ever made have a range of wheelbases that is relatively narrow. Compare your TLR200 wheelbase with the best twinshock bikes (Fantic, SWM, Bultaco....) and judge for yourself.
Of course if you steepen the steering by making the adjustment up at the steering head, you will need a longer swingarm to get back to the original wheelbase, and then have to move the footpegs rearwards to get them back where they were to begin with, relative to the wheels!

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”