Honda TLR

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

keychange

Honda TLR

Postby keychange » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi I have just inherited a very neglected TLR had been left exposed to the elements for god knows how long, I'd say at least 2 years maybe more - it all there and amazingly the engine turns over easy with compression and the oil was amazingly good. Do you think it is worth restoring or am I digging another cash hole for myself

The corrosion is amazing :( I have no idea what model it is the only designation I can read is MD09E Engine number is 1005839 . I am guessing it's the 82 model but I have nothing a but few photos to base that on. I used to have an XR200 - are they the same engine? If so parts should be reasonably accessible - although I note it is only rated at 13.4 hp - I thought the XR200 was a lot more than that.

I'm going to need some help with this - does anyone have a manual of any sort. (UPDATE _ I have downloaded excellent copy of manual ) The carbie is Keihin PW22 and by the looks I need a full gasket kit and probably seat. It appears to work smoothly ie: the slide works well as does the choke. Like every part of the bike corrosion is bad can someone recommend where to start ie: carbie and engine cases.

Are any other parts compatible with other models ie: chain tensioner, brake shoes etc. AND can someone tell me how to remove the rear wheel?? Is there a trick? I removed the main nut but the axle is stuck solid. There is a smaller nut on the rhs bit it won't shift for love or money. ... this could become another epic UPDATE - a litre of WD40 and a half metre extension on the socket handle finally shifted the axle
Attachments
TLRCorrosion.jpg
TLRleft.jpg
TLRday1.jpg
TLRday1.jpg (73.3 KiB) Viewed 7206 times

keychange

Re: Honda TLR

Postby keychange » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:53 pm

More questions - the inside of the tank is badly corroded although doesn't appear rusted - just scale etc - what is best way to treat this.

From memory Honda 4 strokes can't run without a battery - is that the case or is there a work around. It's a lot of weight and expense for bike whose lights will end up in a box. UPDATE - I got the battery to take a charge - amazing :)

Are the shocks rebuildable . They move ok but no dampening happening. They are Showa KJ2-003 shocks

Cheers - Andrew

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:28 pm

Hey Andrew

If the oil is good, put an in line filter in between tank and carb, throw some petrol into the tank and ride the blood thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have one which has been with us since infancy and all it gets is a piece of fencing wire up the exhaust for the annual wasp purge.

It is the weapon of choice when nothing else starts after 2 (yes 2) kicks and dawn is approaching!!!!!!!!!

Many a trout stream has been reached prior to sunrise!

They can't be killed.

Alastair

keychange

Postby keychange » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:47 pm

Alastair

Inspirational stuff - but it does need some parts - and some TLC. I will take my time and hopefully have some fun in a few months

Cheers

Andrew

keychange

Postby keychange » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:57 pm

Can someone give me a year for this bike - engine no etc are in first post

thanks
Andrew

Andy
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:22 pm

It will be a 1983 model most likely.

I have a spare tank which is clean.
I'm in the UK right now for family reasons but will be back next week.
Send me a PM in due course and we can work something out.

Cheers

Andy

keychange

Postby keychange » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Rear sprocket is a little loose even though bolts are as "tight as" - I haven't seen this large circlip arrangement and I don't have clip pliers large enough to remove it. Does the movement (maybe 2 mm) indicate a problem within?

Thanks

Andrew

Bigem
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Looking!

Postby Bigem » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi Andrew,

The large circlip holds the sprocket with its four sprocket fixing bolts onto the hub. The hub contains four press-in bushes part #41212-KJ2-000.

If there is that much movement, its usually the pins(part #90128-382-670) or the bushes that are worn beyond limits.

If you leave it the way it is, it WILL damage the hub. They usually crack then chunks come out. Seen a thousand of the bloody things do this way back when Honda fitted these hubs to practically every 100-200cc 4-stroke bike they made.

It definitely needs attention.

I would say 1982 is on the money.

Andrew

keychange

Postby keychange » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Andrew

How do you tell which is worn - or is it a case of replace both at 4 euros each pin :( and I can't find the bushes any suggestions?

Andrew Hunter

keychange

Postby keychange » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Last Monday I ordered an idle jet , fork seals and chain tension block form CMS in Netherlands they now advise dispatch date should be 13th September :(

Can anyone suggest an alternative reliable source for these and other parts

Andrew

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”