Honda TLR

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

nipper
A grade participant
A grade participant

Re: Honda TLR Carbie Overflow

Postby nipper » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:40 pm

keychange wrote:One quick question - the carbie floods when I put the bike on side stand - it is fine when level. I have adjusted float twice and there is isn't much adjustment left - is there something else I should be looking at ?

The for sale section...... A good reliable TY :P

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:17 pm

keychange wrote:One quick question - the carbie floods when I put the bike on side stand - it is fine when level. I have adjusted float twice and there is isn't much adjustment left - is there something else I should be looking at ?

Leaking/broken/wrong length float bowl overflow standpipe
Bike leaning over too far
Wrong float needle
Wrong float
Float pivot not holding float properly
Float leaking
Fuel with wrong SG

relax, nothing is under control

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Re: Honda TLR

Postby tat ty » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:57 pm

Hey Andrew

Was it not a month ago that I suggested to just put fuel in it and ride it.

I rest my case.

If there is fuel pouring out of a carburettor breather when the bike is on the side stand, then I would guess there is a problem with the seating of the inlet valve.

All of Davids suggestions are totally valid, but I would look there first.

Take the carb off and strip it down. Give it a serious dose of spray pack carby cleaner along with compressed air, like at least half a dozen repeats, then reassemble it all. VITAL to install an in line filter in the fuel line, as any crap (there will be) coming through will reinfect.

If you have not yet, then you must clean the tank out. David will have suggestions on that. I put 6mm small bolts in with fuel and shake like buggery. Count them in and count them out. At least an hour and liquid refreshments to relieve the tediousness. I saw a suggestion on this site to incorporate a magnetic bit holder from a battery drill, which I think is a great idea.

I had a similar problem on the young blokes TY80 a couple of months ago (recent posting - THE NEXT GENERATION) and stripped the carby dowm out in the bush to find a strange globule of oil in the inlet valve. All praise to a standard issue TY250A tool kit.

A few years ago I did a carb clean on my TLR then rode it for half a day thinking it was a bit rough at potter speed; I came back home and found the mixture screw still in under fuel in the parts bucket I use for the job.

Regards

Alastair Farquhar
0409 603 880

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:11 pm

Alastair I didn't think it was particles in the fuel because if it does not overflow when upright, but does overflow when on the side stand, then the problem is more likely to be something other than particles holding the needle off the seat.
David
I also know that a friends TLR200 has an idle that slows markedly if the bike is leaned over on the stand compared with it being upright, so they may well have an inherent design feature in the carby that makes them sensitive to leaning over.

keychange

Postby keychange » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:30 pm

David Lahey wrote:

Leaking/broken/wrong length float bowl overflow standpipe
Bike leaning over too far
Wrong float needle
Wrong float
Float pivot not holding float properly
Float leaking
Fuel with wrong SG

After 5 months with a carbieholic Monty - this is not what I want to hear - I figure I will just carry half a house brick and prop up the side stand.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:56 pm

nipper wrote:

The for sale section...... A good reliable TY :P

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

keychange

Postby keychange » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:50 pm

gee thanks.

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:12 pm

I may just have to eat my words on this one.......... but time will tell !
EDIT 3.JPG

I recently chanced upon this TLR200, along with matching donor carcase and picked it up for less than I paid for a TLR mudguard recently.

Sight unseen, closer examination says that it hasn't had a hard life, but not a whole lot of maintenance either ...farm bike.

Perhaps 10 years since ridden.... original tyres, but though frozen slightly, chain and sprockets seem recent.

So far I have ascertained it has great compression and spark. I've rectified the frozen front brake (shoes look newish)
and made a new chain guide block. Everything else is there and functioning as it should. Had to rat a few nuts and bolts from the carcase,
but I somehow think this has happened before.

The tank is absolutely spotless inside, so I reckon its clean the air filter, clean out and polish all the carby bits,
grease and oil all the bendy flexy moovey bits, chuck some fresh oil in and clean the filter..............

AND AWAY WE GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just in time for the annual NSW Southern Highlands Twinshock Picnic Ride !!!!!!!!

Will my luck last ???

Alastair

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:55 am

LUCK IS HOLDING OUT !!!

A good days work and the old reliable Aerostart saw the TLR splutter into life second kick!

10 minutes of coaxing and twiddling and it sat there purring like a kitten.

Moment of reckoning and off we headed. Changes up and down through the gears effortlessly. Suspension soft but all works as it ought.

Really ought to put some air in the tyres after ten years.

Brakes ............ oops, forgot about that part.

Next weekend I think.

Alastair

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:35 pm

IDLE VARIANCE

Just read through all of this thread again.

The bike I have, once I got it running smoothly, purrred away like a kitten, but when on the sidestand started to rev more highly.

They lie over on the sidestand quite a lot and this causes the front wheel to flex around as you would expect.

If the throttle cable is routed as appears obvious then the flex causes the revving.

Because when ressurecting the bike you are yet to ride it, I think the problen isn't immeadiately apparrent.

I rerouted the cable above the frame tank mounts prior to fitting the tank and all became well.

Andrew, its been a while but how did things work out?

Alastair

0409 603 880

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”