Honda TLR

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

keychange

Re: Honda TLR

Postby keychange » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:38 pm

I have removed the front sprocket which is very lose - not on the drive direction but left to right across the engine. I have what I thought was a details owners manual but I can't find a diagram of the drive sprocket so resort to CMS.nl exloded view of Reflex 200 86 model (see below) and its completely different to what is currently on my bike - refer pictures below - my sprocket has no fixing plate and no oil seal on the drive side - in fact the sprocket is held on with a rather flimsy circlip - surely that's not right. I can see the holes for the fixing plate but I can't figure what the plate does what is it fixing to - how does it hold the sprocket onto the spline?
Attachments
drivesprocket.JPG
drivesprocket.JPG (30.39 KiB) Viewed 5836 times
counterspr.jpg
counterspr.jpg (45.7 KiB) Viewed 5836 times

Andy
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:36 am

The bracket is fixed with two 6mm bolts with blind heads. either drill a small hole and use a screw extractor or just create a slot in the head of the bolt and screw it out with a flat blade.
IMG_0943red.jpg
IMG_0943red.jpg (29.92 KiB) Viewed 5805 times

keychange

Postby keychange » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:03 pm

I found this at http://www.tytrials.co.uk/trailandtrial ... TL125.html - so it appears to be correct but mine doesn't have the washer thus the excess movement

For fitting Talon front sprocket which has a shoulder so cannot accept the bolt on tab.

Washer goes behind the sprocket with the circlip at the front.

For all years & models of Honda TLR200 including Reflex
Attachments
circlip.JPG
circlip.JPG (28.48 KiB) Viewed 5785 times

keychange

Postby keychange » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:48 pm

keychange wrote:Last Monday I ordered an idle jet , fork seals and chain tension block form CMS in Netherlands they now advise dispatch date should be 13th September :(

Can anyone suggest an alternative reliable source for these and other parts

Andrew

Well I have started reassembling and I think it will end up looking quite reasonable (not concourse by a long shot) I have everything I need except for the few things from CMS !!! - very frustrating given I ordered them a month ago. I bought an another idle jet ( jet kit ) from USA ordered 1st of Sept and it arrived today - the Dutch have much to answer for.

shaunb
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby shaunb » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:18 am

Reminds me of the line from one of the Austin Powers movies:

"There are only 2 things I hate, intolerant people....and the Dutch".

Cheers

Shaun B

keychange

Postby keychange » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:58 am

Shaun

Yes Austin and I have a lot in common - I shink the dutsch are foin in shmall doshes - very, very shmall doshes.

UPDATE - Literally as I was writing this post I heard our mailman pull up outside - he drives like a maniac and usually the exhaust is hanging off so it's easy to tell when he's coming .... and sure enough my parts from the wonderful Nederlands have arrived - now off to the shed and get this thing assembled :)

keychange

Postby keychange » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:02 pm

Turns out the seals I ordered from CMS are dust seals - their parts view is ambiguous. Would have been nice if someone could have told me the oil seals are freely available here :(

keychange

Postby keychange » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:56 pm

It's 90% reassembled I just have to connect the brakes and front mudguard - it looks better than it did.

Alas no spark :( There is power to the coil fluctuates up 18volts - but nothing coming out. Ross Brown lent me a Clymer manual and it has colour wiring diagrams. I am not reinstalling the lights so I haven't connected the regulator - I have tried wiring it as per the no lights diagram and as per original but no spark. The Clymer resistance test for the coil is very ambiguous does anyone have a simple fool proof test that I can do ( I have a decent multimeter)

keychange

Postby keychange » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:05 pm

One of my son's was coming to visit from Brisbane so last 48 hours have been full on to get the TLR back together - I gave up worrying about the spark and just assembled it , filled it with fuel and first kick away she went - purring - its sooo quiet. Carbie kept flooding - isn't it great being able to remove float bowl and adjust float level without removing the carbie. Anyway this afternoon we were able to go for ride - my Monty did it its high idle stuff but apart from that went fine. The TLR went like a dream although the the back brake is non-existant and the suspension is much too firm - I might let the air out of the forks. I have two manuals and neither agree as to fork oil capacity - I used 190cc - any advice on this would be appreciated.

The final assembly was a bit rushed so I will tidy everything up and post some pics soon - but I am delighted with my new toy.

keychange

Re: Honda TLR Carbie Overflow

Postby keychange » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:24 pm

One quick question - the carbie floods when I put the bike on side stand - it is fine when level. I have adjusted float twice and there is isn't much adjustment left - is there something else I should be looking at ?

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”