Aussie Pre65 Titles Debacle Again.

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Aussie Pre65 Titles Debacle Again.

Postby David Lahey » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:44 pm

shaunb wrote:I hope someone can answer one query for me though. There was what I thought was a triumph there on Sunday (Cub?) that had a white tank but the tank looked like it was off a TLR Honda? I dont know the rules for the Classic class but thought that was a bit odd, are fuel tanks free or would this have been considered OK under the guidelines for the comp? It was a great looking bike, I am just interested in what the go is on that aspect.

Cheers

Shaun B

Yes Shaun there are no limits on what sort of fuel tank can be used on either Twinshock or Classic class trials bikes.
Yes it is a bit odd to require so many other parts of the bike to appear to be of the correct era yet to have no requirement that one of the main visual identifiers of a bike (the fuel tank) to be free of limitations.
At the moment the Australian rules for Classic Trials class are in a state of flux and there are widely divergent views on what parts should be controlled and what should not.
Thanks for the posting - it is great to hear feedback about the bikes we ride and how they are percieved by spectators.

relax, nothing is under control

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Triumph
Club: Wester districs trials club

Postby TriCub » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:01 pm

ShaunB.

The rules for this year can be found at the link below.
http://www.ma.org.au/fileadmin/user_upl ... OMS_23.pdf
You will notice that fuel tanks are minor components but still must in keeping with the period. I haven't seen the bike so I will not coment.

The sections for the classics are a difficult thing to get correct but when a large proportion of the field pull out or DNF then they are to hard. In 2005 I won the title and lost 8 pionts for the 2 days but the winner for this year lost 48. I don't how many I would have lost because even though I have a pre65 carb on my bike the organizers banned it from the competion even though the 2010 rule book mentions nothing about Jap carbs on English bikes. Most riders in the classic class like a bit of a chalenge but the bikes are over 45 years old and parts are hard to come by so we like to ride things that don't damage the machine or the rider.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Geoff Lewis
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Geoff Lewis » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi Gristy and others, Yes I look forward to riding with you and Col again in Tassie. I think we can all agree it was bloody fantastic. The hospitality shown by the Tasmanians to the mainlanders was exemplary. I highly recommend this trial to all Classic and Twinshock riders as the scenery is great and the sections spot on. Back to the issue. I simply do not agree with the originality issue. For example, the only BSA bantam PRODUCTION trials bike as far as I have read was a 125 ridgid horror that you would be lucky to even get to the sections today. The bantam as we know is, or was, almost the backbone of Classic trials in Australia. All the sprung frame Bantam trials bikes were either factory specials or more importantly owner modified in the era.( Others may be able to shed more light on this) Can any one imagine using one with the steel tank and lights and chrome mudguards still fitted? Worse than that the 19 inch front and back wheels with 2.75 inch wide tyres with standard gearing and ignition? Want to kill classics quickly? Thats the way to do it! Anyone want to fit Lucas ET ignition back on their cub? Well you will if you want to pay your entry and don't want to ever finish a trial.Put the gearing back to factory standard? With no primary reduction? 35 mph in first? Great idea! Dont allow replica frames and find yours as rotten as a chop and hope you can find a better one somewhere or stop riding. Fit the 20inch front wheel back to your c15 and then try to buy a trials tyre to fit. Leave on the fixed footpegs and then try to get through scrutineering. Restore your bike back to standard and find it is so crap to ride in modern sections you just leave it in the shed and never ride it again and go surfing instead! The future of Classic trials will then be assured!
Regards Geoff

GO CZ!

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Triumph
Club: Wester districs trials club

Postby TriCub » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:35 am

Don.
I'm still waiting for an answer to my questions from a few posts back.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”