Post your, Backyard Practice Sections

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Re: Post your, Backyard Practice Sections

Postby sharvie » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:21 pm

David Lahey wrote:I found these photos that my wife took last year at one of the practice areas at home. This practice area was created a few years ago when a very strong gust of wind blew a branch out of an iron bark tree and it fell just right on a compound slope next to my shed. These photos don't really show the potential of that little area.

I take it the slope on this section is quite steep, pics often don't show how things really are. Nice section, it is good to have somewhere to play just at the back door.
Steve

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Postby Greg Harding » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

Steve, what a great idea this thread is, didn`t want to miss out on it so here goes!

Another variation of a balance beam, there are four of these all colour coded, this one is "C"grade!

SHERCO SURF, OK you got me, this was ridden by lots of people at the Queensland Titles last year and at a few Bucca Trials. However this photo was taken at home in my front yard when a few people rode at my place before the Bucca Trial last year. Why do we have to hide our obstacles in the backyard????? Also I am confident that the photographers were over 12 and not pregnant! Sorry about my blatent disregard for the rules, this is a long running problem of mine! At least they are twinshocks, I think that's the only thing I got right!

When I first saw photos of your TLR with the red plate and in imaculate condition, I assumed it was just colour matched with the bike! Your great action shots definitely proved that assumption wrong! Great to see that you ride and don`t hide!
Attachments
Gregie.jpg
IMGP2922.JPG

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:01 am

Hi Greg,
It was Mark’s idea to start this thread after he & David visited my place last year in November.
Wouldn’t mind having Sherco surf in my backyard, looks great. I am thinking there must be many more Trials tragics out there with back yard practice sections; it would be good to see some more suburban examples.
The red plate is only relative to twinshock, don’t see myself competing on modern sections at this level. The Denman Twinshock club has sections for all grades; there is a level of difficulty to challenge everyone.
Seems as though the posting rules were meant to be broken
Steve.

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

Reinald
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: SWM TL320 1982
Club: WDTC

Postby Reinald » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:57 am

Ok lets see if I can jag all the rules this time.
compressed trials swm 07102010 001.jpg
compressed trials swm 07102010 002.jpg
Old cane tram sleepers held together with garden hose and nails.
comp trials swm 07102010 003.jpg
compressed trials swm 07102010 004.jpg
compressed trials swm 07102010 008.jpg

I'd rather be a D grade participant than an A grade spectator....

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:31 pm

Yep, these ones must be eligible. Good to see the house & car in background, true backyard (front-yard??) practice sections. Nice forward then reverse pics.

I reckon the neighbours must be a little puzzled as to why anyone would build or ride on weird looking obstacbles.

Steve

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:11 pm

About the neighbours - we had new neighbours build a house a few years ago with a splenid view over my practice area and they were perplexed when they saw the bare areas amongst the contrasting green bits in the gully and hillside where I have been practicing for 15 years.
Despite the bloke being an motorbike Enduro and downhill MTB competitor, the closest he came to working out what he was looking at was that maybe we had goats that had made the clear bits. After moving in he soon worked it out when we had a trials riding practice afternoon with three of us riding.
We are very lucky here to be surrounded by petrol-heads who don't mind a bit of muted background two-stroke noise. I don't want to push things though so we avoid riding noisy bikes (4 strokes) here.

relax, nothing is under control

Andy
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Andy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Juniors also need to hone their skills. Here's the boychild playing around this morning on his TLM.
Over log.JPG

.......and a bit of thinking time
stationary balance.JPG

before annoying mum by removing the paint on the wall..... :shock:
brick wall.JPG

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Postby Greg Harding » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:31 pm

MORE FRONTYARD OBSTACLES

Mark, great idea of yours for this thread! Hope this is right, you are the SWM rider in the photos? Also I like your idea of holding the bundles of sleepers together with garden hose, does this allow them to move when you ride them? Always disconcerting when things move, makes it interesting!

Steve,SHERCO SURF is popular and not everyone will ride it, your welcome to come and ride it and others whenever you're in Coffs. If you can`t bring your bike, at least bring your riding gear as I have spare bikes. Haven`t ridden at Denman yet, hope to next year sometime.

Some more balance beams, clubman and "B" grade or his and hers if you like! Similar to "C" grade one which displays how light weight the TL250 is!

Andy, you might recognise Donna`s TLM220, we are very happy with it!
Attachments
IMGP3720.JPG
IMGP3721.JPG

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:56 pm

Thought I had better post some variations on the backyard sections while I am still able to take advantage of rule 1.7, part 2

Thanks for the offer to ride the Sherco Surf Greg, I would like to take that up. See how I go?

Cameron, good to see your backyard sections

Steve.
Attachments
Sml log 1.JPG
Small log
Sml log 2.JPG
Sml log 3.JPG

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant