Breaking news: Yamaha TY250A finally requires work on motor

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Breaking news: Yamaha TY250A finally requires work on motor

Postby David Lahey » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:32 pm

After 37 years my TY250A finally needed something done to the motor. I checked the local dealer and they told me it was out of the warranty period so I had just better go home and fix it myself! Thats pretty rough - has anyone else been knocked back on warranty work on their TY250 twinshocks lately?
Anyway, once I recovered from the concept of having to repair a Yamaha motor, the part was ordered and today after work the deed was done. I'll try and get the photos in sequential order.
Attachments
PA130058.JPG
undoing flywheel nut
PA130064.JPG
trying to show witness of oil that had come past crankseal
PA130066.JPG
trying to show oil witness on seal lip
PA130067.JPG
large self tapper screwed into punched hole
PA130069.JPG
easy out
PA130072.JPG
Last photo - sorry - camera battery went flat

relax, nothing is under control

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TY175, OSSA MAR
Club: WDTC

Re: Breaking news: Yamaha TY250A finally requires work on motor

Postby Mark K » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:57 am

Mine's not too much younger than your's. I'll have to check when my warranty is due to run out.

But on a slightly different note, apparently you don't seem to like the idea of dirty old fuel / oil mixture leaking into the points / flywheel area, and dirty old flywheel compartment air being sucked into the crankcase. Some people just have no sense of adventure !!!! Gee, if this trend keeps up you'll end up wanting to use clean fuel, and lubricating the chain. Where will it all end?

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:04 am

I agree Mark, he doesnt use it that much does he?
It must be his trophy TYa, it's too clean!

Feet up, as always!

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:48 am

I think the engine case could do with a serious polish. You've let it go for a while by the looks of those photos. Especially in photo number 4.

You could also consider running your tyre pump though a 1 micron filter. The fewer particles in your tyre tubes the lighter the bike will be.

Is it time to ride yet?

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:36 pm

Westy wrote:I think the engine case could do with a serious polish. You've let it go for a while by the looks of those photos. Especially in photo number 4.

Yeah you are right Westy. I've let it go for 37 years to be precise

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Mark K » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:36 pm

Stu wrote:..........It must be his trophy TYa, it's too clean!

But Stu, I like a nice clean bike. I even washed mine last year ........ and also the year before that !!!!

So, David, how does it run now? Does it now have so much power it nearly rips your arms out of your shoulders when you unleash its ferocity?

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Mark K wrote:
Stu wrote:..........It must be his trophy TYa, it's too clean!

But Stu, I like a nice clean bike. I even washed mine last year ........ and also the year before that !!!!

So, David, how does it run now? Does it now have so much power it nearly rips your arms out of your shoulders when you unleash its ferocity?

Stu the reason it looks clean is because there was a bucketing down of rain at the end of the TY Challenge a couple of months ago and my TY250A was on the trailer being towed through the downpour - perfect timing hey? By the time I got home the next day (600km also through rain), the mud had mysteriously disappeared.
I am a never keen to wash a bike because the washing itself can cause problems so, unless a bike gets muddy, it doesn't get washed. A bit of dust here and there I reckon they still look fine.
Mark you can judge for yourself at Conondale - have a test ride. I reckon you will be on a TY250 in quick time once you test ride one. But no I couldn't tell any difference in the way it ran today after work. I mainly changed the seal to avoid getting oil on the points and I think there might be a bit of submarining at Conondale and oily water on points is even worse than oil on points.

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:05 am

David,
the TY challenge is high on the list of trials to do next year, any idea when it will be on? Denman 2 day trial is on there also! We will be travelling around alot next year, so look out!
My TY is still in a decent condition, but may benefit from a few additions soon...

Feet up, as always!

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:04 pm

How about additional features such as a sandwich holder and a built-in DVD player. I think you sould also install a cup holder.

Is it time to ride yet?

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Mark K » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:14 pm

David has gone to considerable effort to pictorially document a technical procedure for our benefit, and here we are making light of his efforts.
Westy wrote:..... I think you sould also install a cup holder.
That's just being silly Westy. Nobody who was at all serious about their twinshock would consider installing a cup holder. If David was all that concerned about his liquid refreshments he'd be better off running a sidecar, and installing a bar-fridge.

Stu, to the best of my knowledge MQ have not yet approved the 2011 Qld Trials Calendar, so keep watching here for it to be published, but if I was you, I'd make sure to keep the 24th July free from other committments. I rode in the TY Challenge last year, and had a really enjoyable time.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”