Twinshock Masters Conondale 31 Oct 2010

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Twinshock Masters Conondale 31 Oct 2010

Postby David Lahey » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Great fun event once again and some photos to come later on

All the way home today I was thinking about the large number of Honda trials bikes at Conondale this year - is this a trend? For many years the humble TY twinshock range has outnumbered everything else by a fair margin but this year there seemed to be Hondas everywhere. Using a swag of photos I took during machinery examination, here is my count of each brand that was actually entered in the trial. If anyone else has better numbers please post them up.

This first lot of numbers doesn't include any of the bikes that were there for show, as spare bikes, for sale or for discussion and advice.

Bikes ridden in trial:
Honda total 14 (8 TLR200/250, 1 TL125, 1 CT185, 2 TLM50, 2 TLR200/250 sidecar outfits)
Yamaha total 13 ( 12 TY175/250, 1 TY250 sidecar outfit)
Montesa total 5 (2 247, 2 348, 1 349)
OSSA total 2 (2 MAR)
Fantic 240 total 2
Bultaco total 2 (1 M92, 1 M199B)
Kawasaki 1 (KT250)
Suzuki 1 (TS185ER)

Other twinshock trials bikes seen there but not ridden in trial (from memory) (for sale/sold/for show etc)
Bultaco M199
Bultaco M198
Suzuki RL250 sidecar outfit
Honda XL? TL? 125
Honda TLM50
Honda TLR250
Kawasaki KT250

relax, nothing is under control

Twinshock
B grade participant
B grade participant

Re: Twinshock Masters Conondale 31 Oct 2010

Postby Twinshock » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:54 pm

David, you dissapoint me that you failed to mention the 5 Triumph Tiger Cubs that were actually competing, two of them with the dreaded square barrels.
Excellent event with good twinshock / classic sections, and with the size of the entry a clear message to organisers that is the way to attract guys and gals into the sport, well done WDMTC.
Rog G

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:20 pm

Twinshock wrote:David, you dissapoint me that you failed to mention the 5 Triumph Tiger Cubs that were actually competing, two of them with the dreaded square barrels.
Excellent event with good twinshock / classic sections, and with the size of the entry a clear message to organisers that is the way to attract guys and gals into the sport, well done WDMTC.
Rog G

Hey Roger yes it was a great fun trial and there were plenty of Post-Classic Twinshock bikes running around.

Just think how the Classic pre-65 class might grow from six? bikes if the upcoming rule changes didn't exclude people with non-British pre-65 bikes.
David

Twinshock
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Twinshock » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:24 pm

Just Spanish David, oh, and don't forget the Keihin carbies. Why don't you start a class for them called Pre 65 Euro's and then you can finish the one you said you were building.

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TY175, OSSA MAR
Club: WDTC

Postby Mark K » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:58 am

Hey David,
after thinking about this for all of about 1 minute, I must say that I can't really comment on the changing trends of numbers of brands of twinshock bikes ridden competitively, but I will say that there are 2 things which may have an impact on the results of any type of bike being ridden.

Firstly, as we discussed on the day, with muddy bog holes, wet roots, and mossy rocks, there is the importance of the state of the tyres fitted.

Secondly, and far more importantly in my opinion is the state of the nut that holds the handlebars.

In my humble opinion pretty much any bike entered in the twinshock class would have been capable of winning it, regardless of the name painted on the tank. I don't for a moment believe I was beaten by a better bike. But I do know that I was beaten by a significant number of better riders.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference, and for some perverse reason, I still like my ugly little orange beastie.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:42 am

Twinshock wrote:Just Spanish David, oh, and don't forget the Keihin carbies. Why don't you start a class for them called Pre 65 Euro's and then you can finish the one you said you were building.

Because I'm not interested in excluding anyone (meaning non-Euro bikes) from a class.
I'll finish my 1963 Bultaco when it would be welcomed into Classic class. No point spending squillions on something just to look at it.

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Triumph
Club: Wester districs trials club

Postby TriCub » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:44 am

David, that's quite remiss of you to not include the two Triumph's that had the square Heads and barrels in the twinshock numbers. It's clear that they are not pre65 and should have been competing in with the other post65 twinshock bikes.

Twinshock
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Twinshock » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:30 am

George (Tricub)
I was wondering when you would chime in with some words of wisdom, check your facts first though buddy !
Over and out

brownie
TA Supporter
TA Supporter
Bike: Bultaco's
Club: denman

Postby brownie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:42 am

Twinshock wrote:Just Spanish David, oh, and don't forget the Keihin carbies. Why don't you start a class for them called Pre 65 Euro's and then you can finish the one you said you were building.

Yeah Pre65 Euro that would be a big class
Why not Australia becoming a trendsetter by having a Pre68 instead of Pre65, open to all brands it would stop a lot of bitching over square barrels,keihin,amal mk1, Bultaco ETC hopefully.
M10-M27 Bullies aren't any more competitive than the bikes getting around now so there would be nothing to fear but wouldn't it be great seeing a Bully whipping those pommies ar#es ,probably work in reverse for the pommy fans
Ross

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Triumph
Club: Wester districs trials club

Postby TriCub » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:12 pm

Twinshock wrote:George (Tricub)
I was wondering when you would chime in with some words of wisdom, check your facts first though buddy !
Over and out

Roger,
This is not the thread to argue about eligability but I have checked my facts and are clearly stated in my later posts on the eligability of the offending components and if you have come up with some new evidence by all means post it.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”