Does anyone remember Highland Park?

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

shaunb
C grade participant
C grade participant

Does anyone remember Highland Park?

Postby shaunb » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:52 pm

Just wondering if anyone recalls the motorcycle park that was located at the northern end of the Gold west of Pimpama in the 70's?.

I recall it was called Highland Park, not to be confused with the residential suburb of the same name near Nerang on the Gold Coast.

I used to ride my KT there with my Dad around 1977/78?

From memory it had a flat track, a motorcross track and miles and miles of trails, plenty of good trials practice spots too.

MY recollection was that it was off a road that ran directly off the old highway, heading west at Pimpama, probably Upper Ormeau Rd?.

Just wondering if any Gold Coasters or Brisbane riders remembered it?

Shaun B

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Does anyone remember Highland Park?

Postby David Lahey » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:20 pm

Hi Shaun yes I remember it well but my riding friends just called it Ormeau except one of them who called it ormone or maybe hormone. I blew up the gearbox on my IT175D there one day while riding on the MX track. That would have been in 1978 or 1979.
David

relax, nothing is under control

sharpie
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 2011 Sherco 250
Club: Oakleigh & SQTA

Postby sharpie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi Shaun,
Check my ealier post on going for a ride cos if you are interested my plan is to spend a couple of hours Sunday afternoon at the place you sound to be describing, let me know if you are keen.

Sharpie.

shaunb
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby shaunb » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:32 pm

Sharpie

I am thinking that is the place. I have had a look on google maps/earth and I thought it was around about where there appears to be a quarry.

Sounds like the usual BS from neighbours, though MX bikes and similar appear to be the problem not the trials riders, a shame as usual.

Wont have the TY going this weekend but might take a drive out for a look Sunday arvo.

Cheers

Shaun B

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”