Flatslides on Twinshocks

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

OKOAustralia
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Any I can find

Re: Flatslides on Twinshocks

Postby OKOAustralia » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:31 am

let me throw a 'curve ball' here

the Keihin PWK28 and the OKO Flatslide are not actually pure flatslides

Joe Henderson
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Fantic 240
Club: Trials Club of Canberra

Postby Joe Henderson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:54 pm

Oh no, OKO,

Now you have done it!

We must brace ourselves for at least five different views and definitions of what "flat" means.

I reckon that the slide in an OKO "Flatslide" is actually an oblate,semi barrel with conical section facets.

I looked at the slide closely and there is not a perfectly flat surface anywhere on it!

Formula 1 team lawyers would have a field day.

Meanwhile I have a roundslide on my bike and am feeling pure, poised and ready for the new season.

Unlike the bike, which is now coughing and spluttering while managing, at intervals, to run both rich and lean, run-on and idle in an erratic manner, whilst stalling in the sections at the drop of a hat!

Old carbs, I love them!

Eligibility crises when they won't make a difference, I love them!

Actually riding the bike, talking shit with all the other riders, enjoying the sections, watching the best riders in Australia perform, cleaning a section, not hurting myself too much, having a beer in the pool at the end of another blast of a Sunday, and listening to my missus ask "don't you think that you are a bit old for all this" ... I really love it!

Regards,

Joe Henderson

sybella
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Honda

Postby sybella » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Its not like there is 50 twin shocks turning up to each trial,instead of making it hard for people to enjoy the sport i enjoy ,we should be making it as easy as possible for people to experience the joy of twin shocks .Drum breaks and two shocks is plentyto deal with . please

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:10 pm

I reckon some of the weak excuses for justifying the buying of a replacement carby in choosing a flatslide are pretty weak, when you can buy a brand new jetted round bore carby off the shelf for a similar price - eligibility correct.

We are by the way, riding competition motorcycles in a trial, which does happen to be guided by rules (MOMS). Sure its not for sheep stations, but for fun also. I would like also to see more bikes out there being ridden too, but the carby would not be the only reason most old bikes sit idle in sheds, or the lack of at trials.

We just dont want to going in this class as where the UK scene has ended up with hybrid bikes of all periods and mods. The American vintage trials and VMX seem to be able to control the authenticity well enough, and that scene is alive and well.

For all those who still want a flatslide carby (on a twinshock), I will tell you where you can stick it - on a bike in the aircooled mono-shock class where it should not be a problem! :mrgreen:

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

sherpa
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gasgas/sherpa
Club: pacific park

Postby sherpa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:35 pm

I am still not sure why all the fuss about this issue. As stated before a flatslide is $170, possibly the cheapest thing you are going to spend money on. They are cheaper than a new tyre or a set of handlebars or shocks. They are available to anyone at an affordable price. You can choose to embrace technology and make your twinshock just that little bit better to ride and add to its reliability. I am sure everyone is using nylon lined cables, side pull throttles, latest model gas shocks, and even radial tyres. You could however use your old cables and throttles and period correct dunlop 2 ply tyres, but I have yet to see anyone take up the second option. I can speak for anyone who rode in the seventies or eighties, a radial michelin is going to be a much much bigger improvement than any carbie. I wont even get into tubless tyres or X lites

Joe Henderson
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Fantic 240
Club: Trials Club of Canberra

Postby Joe Henderson » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Oh Dear,

Here we go again!

I notice in the Supplementary Regulations for the 2012 NSW Classic and Post Classic mototrials Championships That the Denman Club have allowed any carburettor to be used on any bike for this event.

May I thank the club from the bottom of my heart for making this concession.

Now my bike, unfettered by worn-out and unreliable Italian castings, jets, floats and choke mechanisms, will start, run, and perform like it was designed to do waaaaaay back in 1982.

Unlike the rider who, whatever he is allowed to use or get replaced, will never again perform like he was evolved to do waaaaaaaaaay back in 1956.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Whoever took the decision, I want to marry you and have your children!

As an aside, I wonder if the club has an official stand on old, fat and ugly riders in skintight spandex riding suits?

I only ask because I have one lurking in a gear bag somewhere and I want to look as much like Kyle Middleton as I can at Denman in July.

Regards,

Joe Henderson.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:03 pm

Joe yes it is great to see that about carbies for Twinshocks in the Supp Regs. I hope it appears in next years MA MOMs too.
Your spandex idea/threat/warning/question reminded me of a trial I rode to in the 1990s where a rider forgot to bring his riding pants. He had everything else except the pants, and rode the entire trial with only satin boxer shorts/pajamas covering his nether regions - and no, it wasn't me

relax, nothing is under control

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Here in the UK we have a situation where there are no real rules covering P65 or TS, and its possible to build a brand new ground up money no object "P65" bike to ride in the Scottish 2 day event, but have to fit a very poor Amal or Villiers carb to it, in order to satisfy those writing the rules for this event, who apparently dont know that modern cro-moly frames, cassette forks, magnesium hubs, 32 spoke rims with billet hubs, werent actually available to the general public before Xmas 1964!

Its a very good thing to have rules and machine classes which encourage more entrys as well as reducing costs, but less helpful to have decrees on things like carbs that seem to have been drawn up by someone who may never have ridden a trials bike fitted with a worn out 30-40 year old carby, and like the "rule" makers in Scotland are concerned only minor details which are pretty much completely irrelevant!

Gary B
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Gasser ! TLR 250, TY
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby Gary B » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Joe, is that a promise or a threat about the 1 pce suit ????
Either way I will have my camera in hand at Denman just in the hope that "Super Frantic Joe" may apear :shock:

Gary B. from Wollongong MCC.
Now the Old Man in "Team Boniface"
:?

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:50 pm

FM350 wrote:Here in the UK we have a situation where there are no real rules covering P65 or TS, and its possible to build a brand new ground up money no object "P65" bike to ride in the Scottish 2 day event, but have to fit a very poor Amal or Villiers carb to it, in order to satisfy those writing the rules for this event, who apparently dont know that modern cro-moly frames, cassette forks, magnesium hubs, 32 spoke rims with billet hubs, werent actually available to the general public before Xmas 1964!

Its a very good thing to have rules and machine classes which encourage more entrys as well as reducing costs, but less helpful to have decrees on things like carbs that seem to have been drawn up by someone who may never have ridden a trials bike fitted with a worn out 30-40 year old carby, and like the "rule" makers in Scotland are concerned only minor details which are pretty much completely irrelevant!

And you building and selling this is going to help ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170853022606? ... 26_rdc%3D1
Attachments
Twinshock.... Mono.jpg

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”