TY250 Taper Bearings - Steering Head

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

TY250 Taper Bearings - Steering Head

Postby Stanm » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Hi Folks
I have purchased tapered steering head bearings from Ebay and they appear to thick. Has anyone else had this problem??

I have taken out the bearings and races for top and bottom. Refitted the new bearings and it appears they are 4mm or so to thick.

It will be a bitch to remove the bearings without cutting them.

Can some one advise where they have purchased bearings that work.

Ps: I don't think tapered rollers will make the bike perform better.I might just put the rollers back in! Comments??

Cheers

Stanm

Darren Robinson
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: ty250D/ beta 300 t4
Club: trials club victoria

Re: TY250 Taper Bearings - Steering Head

Postby Darren Robinson » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi stan
use the standard bearing they work fine getting the new race out just run a a weld around the inside of the race and it will come out easy .
Darren P.S see you in t/shock this year

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:51 am

Stan I have bought a few sets of tapered bearings for TY250 steering. They have all fitted fine.
One set was from the local Yamaha shop and they were packaged as Link products steering head bearings A18
The other sets were bought via the internet from pyramid parts or via their eBay shop
The upper bearing should be 11mm thick
The lower bearing should be 13mm thick

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:08 am

Both the original type of bearings and tapered rollers will fail quickly if they get wet without being protected from corrosion.
If the bearings are protected from corrosion, the tapered roller design will outlast the original type many times due to the increased contact area of the rollers compared to balls reducing the risk of deforming of the contact surfaces. That is why motorbike manufacturers moved to fitting the tapered roller type during the late 1970s.
Tapered rollers do not provide any steering performance advantage over the original type of bearings as long as they are in good condition ie the friction is the same. Both types have no free-play when adjusted properly.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:16 am

A few years ago I priced the original Yamaha parts to replace all the balls and races and the total was similar to a set of tapered roller bearings ie somewhere between $70 and $90

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi David & Darren
I bought my bearings from P&K Bearings which have the Pyramid parts logo so they are the same company.

The outer races are stuck in the steering head so I can only measure the bearing bit. Bottom is a bit over 14mm and top is 12.25. Looks like mine are to thick. I have contacted pyramid parts to see what can be done.
Thanks for the tip Darren I think it will definitely be wrecking job to get the bearing races out in any case. Look forward to catching up at the Vic rounds.

So as David mentioned you guy confirm the thickness before you buy.

Cheers

Stan

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi Guys
Just letting yo know. Pyramid parts are going to replace the bearings with 11 & 13 thick bearings. I have bought a few things from them and looks like they back up there product. I will let you know how the fitting of the new ones goes.

Cheers

Stan

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Postby Starky » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:33 pm

I simply got the sizes and the number I needed from my manual and went into our local Bearing Service Centre and bought a few extra. I think from memory for 10 -12 dollors. I have purchased roller bearing off the internet but why bother when you can get the balls locally for next to nothing? :|

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi Just a follow up on the steering head saga.
Removed the bearings by cutting with a die grinder and not much pleasure destroying new bearings. For the new set I die ground out two diagonally opposite slots in both the top and botton outer race seat in the steering head to facilitate easy removal of these races if necessary.
I then installed new bearings and found the steering head nut still only went on one turn.A slight improvement. Top bearing supplied was 12.25mm and bottom 13mm. Not to happy about that!!
Slept on it and decided to grind the bearing races with a surface grinder. Result bottom bearing 11.6mm and top bearing 11.5mm. Nut then went on 3 turns. Now I am happy.
If I had known this in the beguining I would have just greases my balls and got on with it!!
I recommend anyone looking for bearings to ensure the top is 11mm and botton 13mm or better less.
Cheers

Stan

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”