Honda RTL 250 - Twinshock ???

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Honda RTL 250 - Twinshock ???

Postby sharvie » Fri May 13, 2011 7:04 am

Anyone know if this bike is a mono converted to twinshock, or was it built like this?

Steve
Attachments
RTL-twinshock.jpg
RTL-twinshock.jpg (31.36 KiB) Viewed 8747 times

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Honda RTL 250 - Twinshock ???

Postby David Lahey » Fri May 13, 2011 6:07 pm

I've seen similar or maybe the same bike in a photo posted on Trials Central a while ago and that one was an RTL converted to twinshock rear end. It sort of falls into the same category as Yamaha monos converted to twinshock rear end.

relax, nothing is under control

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Sat May 14, 2011 5:36 pm

Its a converted mono............which I think was done by a guy here in the UK who prepares speedway motors. RTL's dont handle that well though, and other than the exhaust, air box, and CDI unit, the motors are pretty much exactly the same as the TLR250, which would probably be just as good as the converted mono, with the above changes carried out.

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Sat May 14, 2011 7:00 pm

Thanks for your reply David and FM350, thought it was a converted mono. Looks like there would be some difficulties with the exhaust once two shocks are fitted.

Wonder what was done to mount the shocks at the top, as this section of frame is removable.

Steve

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

sybella
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Honda

Postby sybella » Sat May 14, 2011 7:10 pm

I'am pretty sure the cam is differenton the rtl,v tlr ,have noticed the motor is a lot smoother as well.does any one no of other changes to motor ?

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:59 pm

sybella wrote:I'am pretty sure the cam is differenton the rtl,v tlr ,have noticed the motor is a lot smoother as well.does any one no of other changes to motor ?

One thing I can remember when I had an 86' RTL was that the gold paint on the barrel gave Honda the green ligth to charge about £450 for it when a black one for a TLR was about £120...... Other than the paint there was no difference.
I've seen that bike around somewhere,cant remember if it was at a trial or at a show,cant see the point personally.Left as a mono it could be ridden in the over 50 mono class,wheras as a converted bike it only annoys riders on "proper" twinshock bikes.Plus what is its value ? As an RTL there is a good market price,as there is for a TLR250. As a conversion I think it would have dropped in value.
They look and sound lovely,but thats about it - there are much better bikes around.Maybe I'll now get around to finishing my XT225 engined Ty175 as my idea of what would have been if Yamaha had gone 4 stroke.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:29 pm

sybella wrote:I'am pretty sure the cam is differenton the rtl,v tlr ,have noticed the motor is a lot smoother as well.does any one no of other changes to motor ?

Cam is exactly the same as that used in the TLR250. Only major difference internally between the RTL and TLR250 motors, are that the RTL has a different kick-start mechanism, later RTL's have a bigger clutch, and crankcases are also different.

The RTL is much smoother though, and the main reason for this is the HRC designed exhaust system, which works a great deal better than any of the systems available today.

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Just got my TLR parts book back, so can now compare camshaft part No to the 89 RTL parts book.

TLR cam: 14101-KJ2-000
89 RTL cam: 14101-ND9-000
Something appears to be different

Steve

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:02 pm

The cams are exactly the same............I have compared them back to back! The ND9 number is an HRC part number, and as Jon V8 outlined earlier in regard to a cylinder barrel, some TLR parts were exactly the same but those with HRC numbers and awful lot more money!

Main reasons the RTL runs so much better than the TLR is due to far better exhaust and induction system, and a CDI unit which provides slightly different advance curve. Internally the RTL motors have a different kickstart mechanism, and have been tarted up cosmetically with magnesium side cases, but other than that they are pretty much exactly the same as TLR250.

lukesta888
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby lukesta888 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:01 am

Anyone on here pick up the RTL that just sold for over $8k on ebay ?

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”