The K(T)ing is dead, long live the K(T)ing!

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Scorps
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: 1976 KT250
Club: Maryborough Riders

The K(T)ing is dead, long live the K(T)ing!

Postby Scorps » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Howdy Y'all,

Sorry for the melodramatic title, but has been a hell of a week for the KT.

I decided to bust out the KT for my first ride in over a year - take a drive up to Calliope for the RTC trial. Some genius didn't turn off the fuel a year ago, so the KT is flooded like Qld in January. Finally get it started and the first backfire splits the seem on my lovely ceramic coated exhaust, and leaks a litre of lovely black goo down the pretty white frame.

Luckily, I have 40 of every part, so in goes a new exhaust and all is well in KT world.

Now I had a lovely drive to Gladstone, a nice dinner with friends and a great sleep ready for my big return ride. Is only a small turnout, but still a great atmosphere. Getting a lot of lovely admirers on the KT, and feeling pretty chuffed. Starts easily, warms up nicely, and off for a warm up ride.

First bank, all of 40cm high, everything goes decidedly wrong:
The right footpeg bracket is Kaput!

It is lucky for me that Ang Sophios is injured (though not lucky for her), and gratiously lets me borrow her 200 Beta, so the day isn't a total write-off.

Now, the KT is fully stripped, and in the shop getting this repaired, along with a few things that were overlooked in the original build.

But, as nice as the white looks, it is a major pain to keep clean. So its time for a new paintjob. I will be keeping the forks, wheels, and engine the same, but the frame, tank, and swingarm is all getting the once over.

I am open to any suggestions from everyone on the board as to what I should do.

Here is a pic as she was to give you an idea:

Cheers,
Your friendly Neighbourhood KawiMan,
Scorps

Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children.
1981 Fantic 240 Professional
1976 Kawasaki KT250 (x2)
1975 Kawasaki KT250
1975 Kawasaki KT250

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: The K(T)ing is dead, long live the K(T)ing!

Postby David Lahey » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Mark Casswell told me you were doing the frame in fluoro orange. Don't tell me you were having a lend of him!

relax, nothing is under control

Scorps
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Scorps » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:19 pm

Howdy Y'all,

That is a definite contender David - I was thinking of making a bike based on the orange tank and sidepanels I got off a KT I bought from Mark Beechy. I guess a little bit of a tribute to him, in doing the frame and swingarm fluorescent orange.

The only downside is we already have a fluoro orange twinshock in town in Mark Levinge's TY175.

Also tossing up a yellow frame, a 70's Kawasaki Purple frame, or a Sherco Blue frame.

Have a few other wild ideas, but I'll only keep those close to my chest for now.

Cheers,
Your friendly neighbourhood KawiMan,
Scorps

Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children.
1976 Kawasaki KT250 (x2)
1975 Kawasaki KT250
1975 Kawasaki KT250

Hunty97
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 2012 Beta EVO 250
Club: Rocky Trials Club

Postby Hunty97 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:33 pm

Such a shame. :( its such a awesome looking KT. I like the idea of the fluro orange :D

Hope to see you next trial. :thumb:

The only way to ride is on the backwheel.

ianrogers
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Beta Beta
Club: SQTA

Postby ianrogers » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:43 am

Burn it and buy a monoshock ya big shiela! Apart from being pretty, they were crap when they came out 35 years ago and I doubt very much that they have matured with age.
Apart from preparing for your retirement, where have you been these past 2 years you big unit? Your riding number still hasn't been retired in anticipation of your triumphant return you know!

"The older I get the better I was"

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:38 am

Diddly401 if you weren't such a girl's blouse you would be on a twinshock too

relax, nothing is under control

Tim Barwick
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Tim Barwick » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:38 pm

Kawasaki's might not be the best twinshock bike to ride but on a looks factor they win everytime nothing even come close but that is in green.
Orange benny wtf are you thinking ??? that bike looks awesome as it is please no orange

Bigem
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Looking!

Postby Bigem » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Its far too pretty to change the paint scheme on.

Scorps
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Scorps » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:10 pm

Howdy Y'all,

Ian, you are a cheeky old blighter, I couldn't ride a Mono, because it is easy enough to make all you old ladies look bad on the KT..

Just been working, and fishing, and little else, never enough time for bikes in my week off. Though, I am planning on making down for the Invitational, if I can shuffle my Roster a little - my number will still not be needed as I will ride the other Kawi in Division 3.

Tim (or maybe John), I agree the white looks great, but it is a nightmare to clean, and it is suprisingly hard to colour match for chips and scratches. I still got one more to refurbish, and another to build (plus the half finished Fantic) so will see about another white one.

Cheers,
Your friendly Neighbourhood KawiMan,
Scorps

1976 Kawasaki KT250 (x2)
1975 Kawasaki KT250
1975 Kawasaki KT250

ianrogers
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Beta Beta
Club: SQTA

Postby ianrogers » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:49 pm

Fair comment but it is good to see you contributing to the forums again. They just haven't been the same without you're rapier wit not to mention making reading posts about twinshocks close to something resembling interesting for a change. Hi David! :wink:
Bit of a shame that the "Invitational" has been and gone for this year, we dedicated it to and have now renamed it the Jeff Gough Invitational from here on in but you know that you are always welcome anytime you fancy a bit of down home SQTA hospitality.
See you soon bro and do keep the refreshing drivel flowing.

"The older I get the better I was"

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”