M49 Wins Twinshock Masters

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: M49 Wins Twinshock Masters

Postby David Lahey » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Thanks Guy I had no idea that english was not your first language. I'm impressed.
Has anyone worked out what the bike is that the oldest-looking rider is on? (the bike that is being worked on in the beginning of the film)

relax, nothing is under control

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Postby Guy53 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:36 am

Oup's, sorry at the beginning of the '' film '' video, the speaker says the are seven, probably they count the one that was filming, and I look again an can't find the model on the first shot of that video, but since everyone else is riding a Bultaco... maybe an early model ???
Guy

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:39 pm

Yes it is the photographer's bike, because that bike is the one the photographer is sitting on while filming in one of the early shots, and there is only one brief shot of it being ridden, all the other bikes are there waiting as the unknown bike arrives, and that particular shot was taken from a location very close to the other bikes, while the other riding shots are much wider and more distant generally.
The name of the bike is visible on the magneto cover in the shot where the gearshift lever is being fitted. It is hard to read but has quite a few letters in it.
I reckon it is a european (probably Czech, East German or Russian) because the shift shaft goes through the middle of the kickstart shaft, the quality (fine detail) in the magneto cover indicates it is a pressure die-casting rather than gravity die cast, and the fuel tank style looks like something off a CZ or MZ. It could equally be a brand that was popular in France but not well known outside of there. It could even be Italian!
Another clue is the way the swingarm is made from steel pressings spot welded together. This makes the swingarm look Japanese to me, but then again Japanese bikes in the 1960s were an amalgam of many other bike manufacturers ideas.

brownie
TA Supporter
TA Supporter
Bike: Bultaco's
Club: denman

Postby brownie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:49 pm

The name of the bike is visible on the magneto cover in the shot where the gearshift lever is being fitted. It is hard to read but has quite a few letters in it.

Zundapp ??

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:29 pm

Good eyes Ross. Yes it does look like Zundapp cast into the magneto cover. I haven't yet been able to find a still photo of a late 1960s Zundapp bike that has concentric kick and shift shafts. I did find that there are plenty of photos of SACHS motors from the late 1960s that do have that arrangement.

brownie
TA Supporter
TA Supporter
Bike: Bultaco's
Club: denman

Postby brownie » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:25 am

Lots of different Zundapps here
http://www.flickr.com/groups/682570@N21/pool/

My old laptop, and internet connection here in Walgett is a bit slow to look through them but they seem to have made a lot of different model bikes and scooters

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All

Ross

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”