rl250

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

oldestbones
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: rl250,ts185

rl250

Postby oldestbones » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:08 am

Just purchase a 75 suzi RL250 to add to the barn of bikes. Hoping to find two bits of information.
what do I need to do to add lights to the bike.
are there any mods or things that can be done to make it a bit sharper in tight turns. I was thinking of like raising the forks or lowering the rear.
Oldestbones.
flying horse mrd.jpg
flying horse mrd.jpg (12.8 KiB) Viewed 5772 times

OldestBones

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Re: rl250

Postby Bully fanatic » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Hello oldestbones, to sharoen the steering up you would have to go the other way. Raise the forks in the triple clamps or raise the rear end with longer shocks. This will do what you want. The RL`s are long though. As far as lights go you would just have to find the lighting wires and hook them up. I am not really sure on them though as they probably had a power regulator in there somewhere. Graham.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:01 pm

Welcome oldestbones. I suggest you make contact with Scorps on this forum for info on RL frame mods. He has the inside info on his Dad's RL250 with a modified frame that handles and turns like a dream.

relax, nothing is under control

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:05 am

Most twin-shock bikes with leading axle forks, will handle a great deal better with the fork angle modified to 25 degrees. In general the older the bike the more chopper like the head angle is going to be, so effects of changes on things like Bultaco's and KT's will mean a really noticeable improvement.

oldestbones
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby oldestbones » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks for the thoughts gents. I was thinking about changing the mounting position for the rear shock and make it a bit more angular with the top toward the front and lower which would lower the swing arm effectively bringing the rear end up higher.
any thoughts there mate?

OldestBones

oldestbones
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby oldestbones » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:31 am

FM350 wrote:Most twin-shock bikes with leading axle forks, will handle a great deal better with the fork angle modified to 25 degrees. In general the older the bike the more chopper like the head angle is going to be, so effects of changes on things like Bultaco's and KT's will mean a really noticeable improvement.

I was looking into a front end modification but that all seems like a bit of work to change the angle 1 or 2 degrees. the only way I could do that would be to cut the neck support and re-weld.

OldestBones

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Steering geometry on the Exacta and later Beamish RL's is so far out, that cutting the frame is really the only way you are likely to be able to make a noticeable difference.

oldestbones
Junior participant
Junior participant

Re: rl250 Scorps

Postby oldestbones » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:39 am

David Lahey wrote:Welcome oldestbones. I suggest you make contact with Scorps on this forum for info on RL frame mods. He has the inside info on his Dad's RL250 with a modified frame that handles and turns like a dream.

Thanks for the direction to Scorps. I put out a PM to him and hope we make contact to learn more of what has been done to his Dad's bike. Realize that this classic will never be to the grade of best but certainly know it can be better. Currently, the bike is sitting in a heated barn way up north near Lake Ontario. Hope to pick it up in a few weeks when the weather breaks.

At least its old bones are not shaken from the cold.
Oldestbones

OldestBones

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:12 pm

The bike should have everything installed for running lights. All you need are the lamps and a switch on the front brake lever. Mine has a battery box (original) that I didn't use. I run the lights 12V AC. The AC makes the tail light blow. I made an LED tail light and it works perfect.

Is it time to ride yet?

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”