New Pinky

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: -
Club: -

New Pinky

Postby bird » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:29 pm

Final got up my first trials bike - YamahaTY250R Pinky mono. Fairly original condition, but needs some serious TLC which I'll get stuck into over winter. Keen to connect with any other TY250R or similar owners in the Brisbane area who might be able to help with advice and any know-how in the future – I'm sure to need it! :) Cheers. bird.
Attachments
photo 8.JPG
photo 8.JPG (36.34 KiB) Viewed 3285 times

Don Duck
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Fantic 240
Club: MTCQ

Re: New Pinky

Postby Don Duck » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi Bird,
Great choice for your first trials bike, super reliable, easy to ride and very forgiving.
But I'm a bit biased, :-" I've owned a '86 TY250R since '96, it was also my first trials bike.
I've decided to compete in the Air Cooled Mono class this year on it, after the last few years riding in twinshock on my Fantic 240.

Just a point of interest for you, MTCQ (Motorcycle Trials Club of Queensland) run a "TY Challenge" interclub event in July.
Come and say G'day at our Easter Two day event at Undullah, or even enter if you have got your self sorted!

http://www.trials.com.au/content/index. ... &Itemid=17

Below is a link to a video of last years "TY Challenge", on our FaceBook page, my son Kyle is riding my 250 mono.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Motorc ... ?sk=videos

Cheers
Don Rolands
President MTCQ

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby bird » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks Don, appreciate your good words and invitation to future events. Got a bit of sorting to do yet with the bike, but will make an effort to attend the TY challenge to see how it's really done. Cheers, bird.

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:47 pm

Probably the best trials bike ever made - certainly one of the most reliable and long lasting.(Which is why most of them ended up as farm bikes here in the UK.)
When its sorted out you will have a brilliant bit of kit to enjoy for many years to come - excellent choice !

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby bird » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence, JonV8. I'm looking forward to many rides ahead. Cheers.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:02 pm

Very good bikes, seem to remember I had 4 of them! If you still have the OE steel bars though its worth changing them (very flexible!), and if you want to make the bike easier to start, then shorter kickstart from a TXT Gas Gas makes things better.

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby bird » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Cheers re the kickstarter. You're right, it's not the best design feature. I'll try moving it back a notch, once I get the nut undone, which isn't budging at the moment. This bike has been sitting in a damp environment for a while, so most nuts and bolts are proving difficult. Bring on the WD40!

AndrewT
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Beta

Postby AndrewT » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:42 pm

I've had a few TY Monos over the years (350S, 250R & 250R Pinkies & still have a good original Pinky that I rode in SA B grade until last year - my one has a shorter Yamaha Alloy kickstart - many of the 250's had these so you might be able to find one on ebay etc - they are much easier to use than the steel one and a bit lighter too. :shock:

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”