From Modern to Twinshock... what a gas!

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

keithj
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Gas Gas 250
Club: OMCC

From Modern to Twinshock... what a gas!

Postby keithj » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi folks,

Just wanted to relay my experience today at the Victorian Winchelsea trial.

I gave up my usual ride ('09 TXT250 Gasser) for a TY175.

I should say I'm not a complete TY virgin - a very beat-up TY175 was my first bike as a kid, which I punted through the bush around Ulladulla NSW for a few years as a teenager.

This one however was expertly prepped by Geoff Lewis, and arrived in the factory Yamaha truck (Geoff's yellow van) driven by Tim, as Geoff was crook.

So after 15 years on various Gas Gas's in C+ grade, I rode the 200m to the first section, and decided C grade lines were probably the order of the day, as the classic/twinshock lines looked "too easy".

Well. Was I in for a surprise...

The 175's are not exactly renown for their acceleration capabilities, and this first section involved a steep decent followed by a sharp LH turn and even steeper hill climb. About 3/4 to the top, a wrong line chosen, and that was that. 5.

The next section had C grade doing all sorts of tight turns over large-ish boulders. I decided then that the Classic/TS line was now "probably about right" so reverted to that line for the rest of the day, until I got used to the whole "doesn't go, doesn't stop" way of riding.

And did I enjoy it? Did I what! The Classic lines were far more flowing and really suited to the older bikes. Even though the Classic line had maybe only 1 or 2 markers in the whole section, I found myself putting as much or more thought into the line for each section as I would in C+. I found it critical to pick smooth flowing lines for best chance of a clean.

By the end of the day I thought I probably had enough of an idea on how the bike rode, to have a go at some C grade lines. But by then I was worn out... there is so much more body language required on these bikes compared to a modern.

Thanks heaps Geoff for the bike; maybe I'll brave that Tiger Cub one day... :D

Keith.

-> Mouse Magnet <-

Geoff Lewis
A grade participant
A grade participant

Re: From Modern to Twinshock... what a gas!

Postby Geoff Lewis » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:33 am

Hi Kieth, Only when you can snatch the pebble from my hand (and have a complete Frontal Lobotomy to lose any sense of fear!) will you be ready to ride the Tiger Cub, Grasshopper.

GO CZ!

Clive.Agi Halls
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TRS 125 x- Track
Club: Oakleigh & STR

Re: From Modern to Twinshock... what a gas!

Postby Clive.Agi Halls » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 am

Hi Keith I too thought the sections for Twin Shock were' too easy' but enjoyed the day immensely.

In fact the flowing lines as you say suited the twin shock abilities & you never knew when a lack of thought would bring you undone.

I managed to find enough energy to try the blue lines in some sections after the event & they were hard, perhaps even for moderns?

I think if this level of section setting for Classic / Post Classic is maintained we will see a lot more old bikes out of the shed & being used as they should. Lots of them out there & its often an easy way in to the Trials scene without much outlay. I have been contacted by 2 or 3 people recently all expressing interest in having a go but worried about it being too hard.

For novice twin shock, or those riding super restored examples, they can ride the white line perhaps just on a rec. licence, we need to be able to get the info out there so potential riders know what the possibilities are.

Anyway a great day out at Winchelsea & fun to ride a new venue on the banks of the Barwon river.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”