Honda TL 250 Trials Rebuild

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

NonstopRoss
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TL250
Club: Waitemata

Re: Honda TL 250 Trials Rebuild

Postby NonstopRoss » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:59 pm

FM350 wrote:Back in the 70s there was a UK produced (Fraser) trials bike fitted with the 4 valve XR/XL 250 motor, and while it was much more powerful than a TLR motor, it was also very heavy and much bulkier than the CB125 based TLR................pretty nasty piece of kit really, and better suited to trail riding.

Courtesy of The Twin Shock Shop of the UK. 4-valve head and twin header pipes.
http://www.thetwinshockshop.co.uk/bikes ... humb_l.jpg

It all started with a KT250 that was so light that it once floated away during an ambitious river crossing.

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm not sure that bike at the Twinshock shop has the right engine in it,the 250,(305 when I bought it) motor mine had was the earlier 4v engine like the TL250 earlier in this thread.The only picture in print I know of for a 250 Fraser is in the Four Stroke Finale,the story of Honda trials book.Mine looked exactly like the one in that picture.It may not have been the best trials bike in the world,but I really regret selling it.(When I advertised it it TMX I couldnt believe the response it drew )

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:57 pm

The Fraser pictured was fitted with the XL250 trail bike motor as standard, and had a short chain driving a sprocket on the swinging arm pivot, from which drive to the rear wheel was taken. All in all the Fraser bikes were not that great and seem to be made out of very poor ERW tube, which was brazed together to make big gaps resulting from poor joint fit up, easy to overcome.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”