TLR Engine Reassembly

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Triumph
Club: Wester districs trials club

Re: TLR Engine Reassembly

Postby TriCub » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:57 pm

Jon V8 wrote:Tricub,its easy to forget the big distances in Australia,which is why the tube of JB weld has to be the best first option for Keychange.Maybe backing that up by looking for a spare on E-Bay.I'm lucky that I have my own Tig set and do repairs like this all the time for local riders and garages etc.But if I didnt have it even here in the UK its not easy to find anyone to do a tidy job on a cracked casing for a reasonable sum and in time for a weekend ride etc.
I never ask people to clean or prep stuff for welding as they never get it clean enough,and if I ask them to vee the crack out it always arrives with a canyon where a hairline crack was - which could have been welded up with no filler rod at all...
Planning a small road trip next year from Perth out to Kal in my brothers 1925 14hp Bean roadster - maybe a as a shakedown run for a future Nullabor trip ?

Perth to Kalgoorlie in a thing like that. That's will be quite a trip.

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Triumph
Club: Wester districs trials club

Postby TriCub » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:12 pm

FM350 wrote:
TriCub wrote:You guy's from UK don't seem to understand our geography here. Keychange lives in Dorrigo which is quite a distance from the nearest town of Coffs Harbour and there may not be anyone experienced in TIG welding motorcycle cases. He could get in his car and drive to my place and I could weld it for him in about 10 minutes but it would be about a 12 hour round trip. So a little bit of JB is his best option and if doesn't work he hasn't wasted much time. He could also stick the case in the mail but he would have to pack it up , drive to his nearest post office and then wait for a couple of weeks for it all to turn around.

Yes I guess that does make things very difficult............finding people to repair casings properly here isnt that easy though, and when it comes to magnesium or Ti repairs difficult/impossible in lots of cases.

Magnesium is a bit of a challenge but with the correct pre and post heat, the correct filler rod it's not to bad. Sometimes if it's to old and corroded it is impossible to repair though , corrosion just seems to go all the way through it . Other thing is the fact that it's flamable and on one ocastion after a big repair on a speedway car diff housing with lots of grinding dust all over my bench, a large area went up in flames with a spark from the MIG. Not to much damage from the fire ,more a mess from the water I used to try and put it out. Taught me to clean up the bench after doing any Mag repairs though.

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:12 pm

Andrew.

PM sent to you

Alastair

keychange
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: TLR/Cota247

Postby keychange » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Yep thanks guys I will give the JB a go on the weekend. The image below is not my engine I am just using it to show where the crack is ie: the lower front bolt. The crack goes through for most of its length but not all the way so the piece has not broken off - it may do so when I try to groove it which I think may not be a bad thing as then I could get a good coverage of the JB rather than just surface groove . I was also thinking of adding a small patch of aluminium flyscreen on the inside as a reinforcement and lay a thin cover of JB over that (obviously not on the face).
Attachments
clutch.jpg
clutch.jpg (30.31 KiB) Viewed 7777 times

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Key,I would only work on the outside and drill some tiny holes and screw on some patches with the smallest screws you can find[ask your dental surgeon about the small screws]then seal it all with the JB. :-"

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:41 am

The other option is that would probably work fine for this repair is zinc based solder.............http://www.techno-weld.co.uk/product.html

Thats a UK based seller, but the zinc solder products seem to available pretty much everywhere in the world, and should be perfectly ok for a repair where strength is not crucially important.

keychange
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby keychange » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:16 am

FM
zinc based solder
thanks for the suggestion it looks interesting - we have the Durafix product in Australia which looks the same although I have no experience with it. I will definitely buy a kit even though I plan to use the JB at this stage simply due to time issues - but the zinc solder looks like a perfect solution for broken barrel fins and countless other aluminium mishaps. I know my soldering is much better than my welding ;)

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Epoxy will probably work, but I would suggest prepping the case , applying the JB and then actually fitting case to the motor and tightening the mounting screws as this is the best way to avoid any leaks due to the broken part not being level to the rest of the case.

keychange
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby keychange » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:13 pm

fitting case to the motor and tightening

yep that sounds fair enough - thanks for that ;)

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Just be carefull with those soldering rods, you have to get the whole part to the same temperature before the rod melts and sticks,Iv never been able to do it and neither has anyone else. Soldering beer cans is about the limit. :shock:

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”