TLR Engine Reassembly

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

keychange
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: TLR/Cota247

Re: TLR Engine Reassembly

Postby keychange » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:58 pm

Soldering beer cans is about the limit.

Thanks Pop - it does sound too good to be true - but maybe worth gambling $50 or so to try and see if I can learn the knack. Meanwhile it is JB for the job ;)

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:48 pm

Never tried alloy soldering myself, but seen plenty of demonstrations where cracked side cases are repaired in less than 5 minutes. Looks a good way to repair low stress parts, and as its a low heat process I would guess things made from pot metal can be repaired?

keychange
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby keychange » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Really pleased to announce that my TLR is up and running. I gave it a very good workout this weekend in preparation for next weekends 2 day event with the Coona club.

The engine is running smoothly and quietly.

Thanks to everyone for advice and comments.

Cheers

Andrew

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:44 am

Excellent, news,its always a pleasure to ride a bike with a smooth running engine that does all you ask of it.

keychange
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby keychange » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:00 pm

UPDATE - not long after last post the engine started to become very smoky - lots of heavy blue smoke and smell of oil. Initially it improved when warm but by the time I went down for the Coona trial in October it was pretty bad, lacking power and stalling too easily .

The general opinion was rings although I thought they were ok - I had a suspicion that the head gasket could be blown and allowing oil into the chamber so I pulled it apart again and checked. It has taken me a while but finally replaced base and head gasket with a addition of very light smear of three bond reassembled and running clean and smooth with good power - let's hope it lasts - I will give it a good run next weekend.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”