TLR Engine Reassembly

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Triumph
Club: Wester districs trials club

Re: TLR Engine Reassembly

Postby TriCub » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:28 pm

Normaly those type of cracks happen when there is a build up of silicon sealant in the hole and it can't get out when the bolt is tightened up and the result is a crack caused by the hydraulic pressure. Make sure that there is nothing in the hole and make sure the bolt is not to long for that hole as well. Or if it's in the cover just forget what I just said.
I have welded up lots of cases and covers with a similar problem so it should be able to be fixed if you can find a competent alloy welder near by , or because its only one hole you could just "v" it out from either side and JB weld it. You would have to be carefull when doing it up but I'm sure it would last for years.

keychange
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: TLR/Cota247

Postby keychange » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:49 pm

" "v" it out from either side and JB weld it" - given I don't know how sound the engine this solution sounds good - the crack is in the cover - doesn't quite go all the way but clearly visible from both sides . When you say V it - how deep and how wide would you suggest.

Thanks

Andrew

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby TriCub » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:06 pm

Sort of depends were it is but if it in a section across the gasket face you need to get the JB to seal the crack against the gasket face. You could grind from the inside almost all the way through with a 90deg V at the edge and taper it back to almost nothing at the end of the crack. Sand the metal either side of the crack and then put a bit of tape arcoss the gasket face to act as a wall then apply the JB with a liberal overlap. When dry you can file the gasket face flat. Don't forget to clean the whole area with a solvent that leaves no residue like acetone or similar before applying the JB.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:38 am

If its a small crack I would tend to prepare the case for welding, and get someone to TIG it up. Repairs made to cracks in the casing itself, often work fine if epoxy is used, but mounting broken mounting holes are something else entirely, and epoxy repairs may fail when the case is next removed. Welding something like that woudnt take more than 10 minutes if the part has been cleaned up properly, and is worth looking at before using epoxy.

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:59 am

Preparation of a crack for Tig welding is best left to the person who is going to do the welding - if that is decided as the best way to repair it.(And it needs to be someone who is recommended,not just out of the phone book)I've got a TY250 TS whose crankcases were repaired with JB weld or similar a long time ago.Its not an engine I use at the moment,but the repair is good,certainly not worth re-doing.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:23 am

Cleaning oil and dirt off the casing is really all thats needed for this type of repair Jon. Personally if someone brings me an engine part covered in oil and dirt, it very often takes longer to clean the part up than actually doing the job, which means its going to cost them double.

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby TriCub » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:08 am

You guy's from UK don't seem to understand our geography here. Keychange lives in Dorrigo which is quite a distance from the nearest town of Coffs Harbour and there may not be anyone experienced in TIG welding motorcycle cases. He could get in his car and drive to my place and I could weld it for him in about 10 minutes but it would be about a 12 hour round trip. So a little bit of JB is his best option and if doesn't work he hasn't wasted much time. He could also stick the case in the mail but he would have to pack it up , drive to his nearest post office and then wait for a couple of weeks for it all to turn around.

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:12 am

I think I would tap and screw on a patch[if possible] then seal it with some 2 part putty or weld. Have you a picture of it? 8)

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:44 pm

Tricub,its easy to forget the big distances in Australia,which is why the tube of JB weld has to be the best first option for Keychange.Maybe backing that up by looking for a spare on E-Bay.I'm lucky that I have my own Tig set and do repairs like this all the time for local riders and garages etc.But if I didnt have it even here in the UK its not easy to find anyone to do a tidy job on a cracked casing for a reasonable sum and in time for a weekend ride etc.
I never ask people to clean or prep stuff for welding as they never get it clean enough,and if I ask them to vee the crack out it always arrives with a canyon where a hairline crack was - which could have been welded up with no filler rod at all...
Planning a small road trip next year from Perth out to Kal in my brothers 1925 14hp Bean roadster - maybe a as a shakedown run for a future Nullabor trip ?

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:48 pm

TriCub wrote:You guy's from UK don't seem to understand our geography here. Keychange lives in Dorrigo which is quite a distance from the nearest town of Coffs Harbour and there may not be anyone experienced in TIG welding motorcycle cases. He could get in his car and drive to my place and I could weld it for him in about 10 minutes but it would be about a 12 hour round trip. So a little bit of JB is his best option and if doesn't work he hasn't wasted much time. He could also stick the case in the mail but he would have to pack it up , drive to his nearest post office and then wait for a couple of weeks for it all to turn around.

Yes I guess that does make things very difficult............finding people to repair casings properly here isnt that easy though, and when it comes to magnesium or Ti repairs difficult/impossible in lots of cases.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”