Conflicting dates for Twinshock and Classic

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Geoff Lewis
A grade participant
A grade participant

Conflicting dates for Twinshock and Classic

Postby Geoff Lewis » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:50 am

Hi All, After just coming back from the NSW Twinshock and Classic Championships at Denman I wonder how it comes about that two very important events on the Twinshock and Classic calendar can come up on the very same date. The Denman event was absolutely fantastic and the location was one of the most beautiful spots I have ever ridden at. However, numbers were quite low for an event of this stature no doubt in part because of the conflicting dates. I hope that next year a real effort can be made that this does not occur again. Even though I retain my title as the least popular entrant at a Denman event I fully intend to ride this trial again next year and encourage any twinshock and classic rider or enthusiast to do the same as the organiser Andy ran such an excellent trial. There were some awesome bikes and some awesome talent in 'A' grade on display. 10 sections next time too I hope. There was a really original Rigid 'Jimmy' on display during the day on which the owner could not compete as it ran out of sparks but I was so impressed by it's appearance that it has encouraged me to add a special 'Best Rigid' award at the Victorian Twinshock Challenge which will be held on the 7th October this year. I will post some photos of the event when I can get one of my sons to help me to do it.
Regards Geoff.

GO CZ!

logan
C grade participant
C grade participant

Re: Conflicting dates for Twinshock and Classic

Postby logan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi all,
I agree with everythying geoff has said! an absolutley fantastic event run by the denman crew!!!

i had a fantastic time,the sections were great and a great time was had by all!

I truly hope that next year this event will attract more riders from near and far and will be looked upon as it should be as a very prestigeous event.

I also wish that every state would follow suit and run a classic and twinshock state title as a separate event with the same format A,B and C grades as this would allow for more riders on

modern bikes to take a break from the comforts of brakes power and suspension and come and a have a proper good time on old crusty bike,

or not so crusty what ever smokes your tyres? this would also allow

for more riders to compete in modern classes aswell, a boost for both sides i recon, anyway only my two cents worth!

in a nut shell, awesome trial with awesome people and well worth the trip! hats off to denman club for job truly well done!!!!

Goughy

p.s. maybe the w.d.t.c powers that be could run a similar format for the twin shock masters and give another twin shock and classic trial the prestige it deserves!

Clive.Agi Halls
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TRS 125 x- Track
Club: Oakleigh & STR

Postby Clive.Agi Halls » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:46 pm

]Well Geoff sounds like you enjoyed it up in the Hunter, I was really keen to go but only returned from a drive to Gosford 4 days before the event & it was just too much to head back up the Hume again so soon. Will try to be better organized next year. Good to see you promoting Twin Shock trials at Broadford in the latest Old Bike Australia magazine, nice easy sections for a fun ride ? Go CZ upside down, love it.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Here in the UK the decline of what was formerly a very well supported national P65/TS championship series, after modern bike classes were added to boost the numbers is very plain to see (14-15 TS entries out of 120!), so I would suggest trying to keep ancient and modern events separate if at all possible.

Unfortunately adding modern classes to make up the numbers, rather than providing sections which older riders on less capable bikes can cope with, is starting to become more and more common in the UK now, which is a shame as it means less able bikes rarely get ridden, and older riders need to go modern or pack in.......................

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:19 pm

FM350 wrote:Here in the UK the decline of what was formerly a very well supported national P65/TS championship series, after modern bike classes were added to boost the numbers is very plain to see (14-15 TS entries out of 120!), so I would suggest trying to keep ancient and modern events separate if at all possible.

Unfortunately adding modern classes to make up the numbers, rather than providing sections which older riders on less capable bikes can cope with, is starting to become more and more common in the UK now, which is a shame as it means less able bikes rarely get ridden, and older riders need to go modern or pack in.......................

Here you go again - instead of keeping on moaning about it,why dont you DO something about it ?
To keep this thread on track I would like to add that avoiding clashes with dates for other clubs is by far the most difficult job I have as trials sec to Bath classic MCC.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Without any rules twin-shock here in the UK is almost certainly going to go down the tubes in exactly the same way as "P65", where all the major events are dominated by recently built bikes costing around £10k to build. An obvious knock on effect is harder sections designed to cater for riders on the recently manufactured bikes (even at club trial level it seems), with this meaning less entries from those with more authentic and less capable bikes.

On the one hand here in the UK we have organisers who are quite prepared to very vocally oppose the idea of cheap easily obtained converted air cooled mono's being ridden in the TS class, yet seem to be quite happy to allow modern day "P65" machines costing £10K+, to compete against relatively authentic P65 bikes. Personally I feel that if someone wants to spend £10K+ on a "P65" or TS bike thats fine, but these are to all intents and purposes modern machines, and a specific class should be introduced to cater for them.

As to avoiding clashing dates with other clubs, why not think about working directly with them and organising events jointly, and maybe even putting together a local series of events? Never quite been able to figure why co-operation seems to happen very rarely here in the UK, but I guess its due to the same reasons there are no rules, and event organisers seem dead set against the idea of anything likely to reduce costs and make the sport more accessible to those who maybe dont have £10K to spend on building a competitive bike?

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:59 pm

As to avoiding clashing dates with other clubs, why not think about working directly with them and organising events jointly, and maybe even putting together a local series of events?

That's a little harder in Australia when we are 1000's of km's from each others clubs / states / riding areas!

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
The Hell Team Trials Store
whoever@thehellteam.com
http://www.thehellteam.com

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Obviously Paul, but here in the UK you may have 3 or more clubs catering for classic riders all based within a 50 mile radius, and personally I find it surprising that there is little or no co-operation between them.

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:36 pm

This after all is a thread about our trials in australia lets keep on topic!

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
The Hell Team Trials Store
whoever@thehellteam.com
http://www.thehellteam.com

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Surely the thing thats missing in the UK (co-operation between clubs) is something thats worth looking at very carefully, notwithstanding where in the world this might be going on? There dont seem to be many negatives to suggest clubs working together wouldn't be a good thing, and while I guess running events jointly in Aus would probably be impossible, working together regards dates and promotion of events etc, seem quite feasible?

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”