How to build a pre65

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

yorkshireracer
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Suzuki TS250

Re: How to build a pre65

Postby yorkshireracer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks David. Are there any Aussie classic trials magazines that would be worth having a look at ?

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:35 pm

yorkshireracer wrote:Thanks David. Are there any Aussie classic trials magazines that would be worth having a look at ?

There are no Classic trials magazines produced here that I know of. There are articles about Twinshock and Classic trials in VMX magazine, which is produced in Australia for a worldwide audience. Here is an Aussie Facebook page that you might be interested in
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#! ... 983026287/

relax, nothing is under control

Andy M
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Andy M » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:24 am

There is an ex grass track speedway frame builder in the UK who has been building Bantam and a few C15 frames. in recent years. My Bantam was a std frame modified by him so still in the spirit etc, although currently running Marzocchis.

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 0623_n.jpg

Finished bike...

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 5606_n.jpg

The mag you want is....

http://www.trialmag.net/09/07/2012/clas ... e-issue-3/

Andy M
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Andy M » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:35 am

Also not wanting to go off topic, I had this until recently, a modified Chinky XL125 clone. Rode quite well but built to a budget. Then the bikes were supplied as mono with disc brakes so they stopped doing them. I have a donor bike to do myself one day... Sold it to concentrate on building my TLR.

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 3340_n.jpg

Takhli44
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY 175

Postby Takhli44 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:44 am

[quote="yorkshireracer"]
Are there particular parts that people find difficulty getting ? Anything from petrol tanks to footrests.

You may want to take a look at RL250 Suzuki tanks, the first ones were made of beer cans and were crap. They later switched to steel and were pretty good. Don't know if there is a market as there don't seem to be very many RLs around.

Don't let competition get in the way of having fun.

Geoff Lewis
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Geoff Lewis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:49 am

Hi All, To answer Yorkshireracer as to the demand in Australia for frame kits I think one would need to look at the numbers of riders actually competing here. In Victoria we usually have one competitor in Classics who must then ride in Twinshock because one entrant doesn't constitute a class. There are then usually two or three people competing in Twinshock, sometimes this blows out to four!(Gasp) I venture to guess this is not going to be a large customer base for replica frames and parts. Things are better in other states I hope
The current rules in Australia also dictate that the parts would have to be pretty true replicas of period components and as such I suppose that the only frame that might do OK would be a Majesty style frame as it would be in demand world wide as well. I do not know if there is a patent or copyright on such a frame (someone else might know) A true copy of a Cub frame or Bantam frame would seem pointless as they are simply awful and most owners modify the geometry anyway. A very high quality James style competiton frame was available from England some time ago but was extremely expensive I believe. It still puzzles me that the revived Greeves company in the UK started building new old trials bikes but of a design which was not eligible to be used in pre 65 as it was based on a bike you couldn't buy until 1966. How was that ever going to work? High quality bolt on or weld on footpeg brackets (not the crap ones that come with the aftermarket wide pegs from UK) would be a good idea as I need some.
Regards Geoff.

GO CZ!

oldslowcoach
C grade participant
C grade participant
Club: wdtc

Postby oldslowcoach » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:34 am

Re-Cubs and Bantams, Geoff is correct, why fabricate an exact copy of something readily available and not particularly good? Two options,
1) either make parts to speed up conversion of said bikes to trials spec, ie: cub top frame tubes, petrol and oil tanks in alloy, chain guards, alloy bash guard shaped to engine and frame, footrest plates and footrests
2) Make a new twin shock geometry frame to suit Cubs and Bantams that takes twin shock donor forks wheels etc for use in twin shock class

For the twin shock class, why not make a modern geometry and stronger TL 125 frame? Plenty of ropey old TL125’s knocking around with bent frames. Wider footrest to suit standard frame would not go amiss

One point to consider, I think all of the above is readily available from UK. The landed price of NZ stuff in Australia would have to be cheaper for Australians to consider deviating from the usual UK suppliers

osc

Andy M
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Andy M » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:07 am

oldslowcoach wrote:Re-Cubs and Bantams, Geoff is correct, why fabricate an exact copy of something readily available and not particularly good? Two options,
1) either make parts to speed up conversion of said bikes to trials spec, ie: cub top frame tubes, petrol and oil tanks in alloy, chain guards, alloy bash guard shaped to engine and frame, footrest plates and footrests
2) Make a new twin shock geometry frame to suit Cubs and Bantams that takes twin shock donor forks wheels etc for use in twin shock class

For the twin shock class, why not make a modern geometry and stronger TL 125 frame? Plenty of ropey old TL125’s knocking around with bent frames. Wider footrest to suit standard frame would not go amiss

One point to consider, I think all of the above is readily available from UK. The landed price of NZ stuff in Australia would have to be cheaper for Australians to consider deviating from the usual UK suppliers

osc

All the above is available and quality kit it is too from the UK. Obviously freight has got to be the killer for you over there. Problem the availability of donors here in the uk , they are thinning out rapidly. Still some out there but it's finding them. Turning out exact replicas of std frames would be a waste of time because they all need tweaking for trials. As I said my Bantam frame was modified, engine moved over, new trials sub frame, foot peg mounts etc.bottom cut out for bash plate. All this could have been done back in the day and therefore in the spirit.

Andy M
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Andy M » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:47 pm

The Cubs are for sale in the UK..... 6k each.

http://www.willbrown.co.uk/adz/

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”