Parts for TY 250 C

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

pcurtis
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: sherco
Club: Wollongong

Parts for TY 250 C

Postby pcurtis » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi all

A friend of mine wants to do up his TY 250. Not exactually sure what he needs yet but where's the best place to get parts from.

Where's the best place to get the front forks rechromed. We are in outer western suburbs Sydney

Regards Peter

gazam
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TY175, TY 250
Club: LRMTC, MTCQ! SQTA

Re: Parts for TY 250 C

Postby gazam » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi

I just had a set of TY forks rechromed by Rad in Qld. http://www.radhardchroming.com.au/

They seem to charge a standard rate of $150 per leg.

They did a great job. :D

pcurtis
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: sherco
Club: Wollongong

Postby pcurtis » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:03 am

Thanks Gazam

Do you remember roughly how much they cost

Peter

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:01 pm

Here in the UK its often cheaper to buy a used pair of modern 38mm forks from Ebay, than mess around getting OE re-chromed.

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TY175, OSSA MAR
Club: WDTC

Postby Mark K » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:01 pm

FM350 wrote:Here in the UK its often cheaper to buy a used pair of modern 38mm forks from Ebay, than mess around getting OE re-chromed.
Hi FM350,
Here in Australia if a person wants to compete in trials in any of the Motorcycling Australia affiliated clubs they need to comply with the General Competition Rules in the Manual of Motorcycle Sport. Under those rules a bike such as the TY of the original poster would fall into the category of "Post Classic" more commonly known as Twinshock. In those rules twinshock is a sub-set of Classic, and as such shares most of the rules and principals.

For anyone who has never seen them I'll copy a couple of the most relevant bits here :

23.5.0.1 The eligibility and dating of Classic Motorcycles shall be considered in terms
of major and minor components and the period of the motorcycle shall be the
period of the latest major component.

23.5.0.2 Major components are:
a) All engine and gearbox external castings,
b) Frames,
c) Brakes,
d) Wheel hubs,
e) Forks, and
f) Carburettors

23.5.0.4 Major components that were manufactured outside the period, but which are visually
indistinguishable from period components shall be eligible for that period.

23.5.0.5 All other components shall be considered as minor components.

23.5.0.6 Minor components may be modified or updated provided that they remain
visually compatible with the period being depicted.

Now the reason I said all of that was so that I could say this.......
FM350, Why is it that nearly every time you offer any advice on old bikes you seem to be recommending modifications which would use parts from outside the era of the bikes, and render them ineligible for competition here ... and yet at the same time you drive everyone crazy with your complaining about the unfairness of including in competition highly modified bikes incompatible with the era being depicted. Why do you seem to practice the opposite of what you preach?

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:21 pm

Mark K wrote:Now the reason I said all of that was so that I could say this.......
FM350, Why is it that nearly every time you offer any advice on old bikes you seem to be recommending modifications which would use parts from outside the era of the bikes, and render them ineligible for competition here ... and yet at the same time you drive everyone crazy with your complaining about the unfairness of including in competition highly modified bikes incompatible with the era being depicted. Why do you seem to practice the opposite of what you preach?

For the very same reasons in another post I accused him of Trolling, and this again and again is another example. If anyone else is sick of reading FM350 off topic comments, or repeated viewpoints in nearly every topic he posts his comments in, feel free and contact a moderator or administrator as I did, more feedback to them will stop this repeated rot.

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Mark K wrote:
FM350 wrote:Here in the UK its often cheaper to buy a used pair of modern 38mm forks from Ebay, than mess around getting OE re-chromed.
Hi FM350,
Here in Australia if a person wants to compete in trials in any of the Motorcycling Australia affiliated clubs they need to comply with the General Competition Rules in the Manual of Motorcycle Sport. Under those rules a bike such as the TY of the original poster would fall into the category of "Post Classic" more commonly known as Twinshock. In those rules twinshock is a sub-set of Classic, and as such shares most of the rules and principals.

For anyone who has never seen them I'll copy a couple of the most relevant bits here :

23.5.0.1 The eligibility and dating of Classic Motorcycles shall be considered in terms
of major and minor components and the period of the motorcycle shall be the
period of the latest major component.

23.5.0.2 Major components are:
a) All engine and gearbox external castings,
b) Frames,
c) Brakes,
d) Wheel hubs,
e) Forks, and
f) Carburettors

23.5.0.4 Major components that were manufactured outside the period, but which are visually
indistinguishable from period components shall be eligible for that period.

23.5.0.5 All other components shall be considered as minor components.

23.5.0.6 Minor components may be modified or updated provided that they remain
visually compatible with the period being depicted.

Now the reason I said all of that was so that I could say this.......

I am not sure the rules in Aus are likely to help reduce the cost of building or maintaining an older bike, and may well tend to make the sport less accessible?

Here in the UK its possible to buy used modern 38mm forks from Ebay for around £75, while the cost of restoring OE parts in poor condition is likely to be double that.

Maybe the time is ripe to look at changing the rules to help reduce cost, and make the sport more and not less accessible to more people?

The rules relating to ITSA in the US are just about the best I have seen, and maybe its time to move on from the type of whining and back biting that seems so common on trials related chat forums, and look toward making changes for the better?

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:20 pm

Tee-Why wrote:
Mark K wrote:Now the reason I said all of that was so that I could say this.......

For the very same reasons in another post I accused him of Trolling, and this again and again is another example. If anyone else is sick of reading FM350 off topic comments, or repeated viewpoints in nearly every topic he posts his comments in, feel free and contact a moderator or administrator as I did, more feedback to them will stop this repeated rot.

I wonder do you personally have an unlimited amount of money, and would be able to easily afford a "P65" or twinshock frame kit costing £2K, cassette forks at £1.2k, billet hubs £600 etc etc etc? In terms of trying to get me banned from the forum, it would seem you are not happy with the fact that anyone who has views differing from your own, should be allowed to express them?

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:04 pm

Mark explained how the Aussie rules would mean that fitting 38mm forks to a twinshock would be a no-no.

There are also practical and financial reasons why substituting 38mm forks on a TY250 twinshock is not likely to be a path chosen by someone trying to economise on the cost of getting their TY250 twinshock with rusty forks ready to ride:
While 38mm trials forks may be readily available in the UK, they are not readily available or cheap in Australia
Freight on a set of forks from the UK would probably double the cost of the item
If a set of Yamaha TY250 twinshock triple clamps was bored out to 38mm, there would be very little metal left around the tubes
It would cost $$$ to pay a workshop to machine out the clamps to 38mm
Again with TY250 twinshock triple clamps, the trail dimension would become very small with the (leading axle) 38mm forks
A new mudguard and mounting bracket to suit the different fork tube spacing would be needed ($$$)
A brake link attachment would be needed to be added to the new slider to suit the drum brake ($$$) and the disc caliper mount may need to be machined off $$$
If the triple clamps from the donor bike were used on the TY250, modification of the steering stops and steering stem to suit the Yamaha frame would cost $$$$.

For the original enquirer, the cost of new standard-size tubes ex the US is about the same as for getting the old ones rechromed in Brisbane (including postage). Last pair I had done at RAD Hard Chroming were $300 plus postage and COD fees of about $40, and they are terrific.

relax, nothing is under control

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Postby Guy53 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:35 pm

David, to lower the cost of installing 38mm tubes on a TS TY you only have to buy a milling machine, a tig/mig welding machine and for insurance a lathe ( with a gap bed ) , Oh yes learn to operate those machines.

Guy :wink:

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”