TY250 Forks Improvements

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

TY250 Forks Improvements

Postby Stanm » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:56 am

Hi
I have searched forums and have not come up with a decision about my Fork setup.
At the moment I have standard springs and have tried 10w to 10/w30 oil grades. I use 185mm oil per leg. Rear shocks are Betor.
It is hard to control the bike on successive bigish obstacles.

So I am thinking to buy try some new aftermarket springs. Any feedback on these would be good.
I have seen some positive comments on Magicals but cannot get on their site.
BJ racing ones??
WES??
Ones from Germany??
Others??

Also heard of a mod to to damper rod. Any comments on this Please.

I have a set of fork I will experiment with and let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Stan

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: TY250 Forks Improvements

Postby David Lahey » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:56 pm

I bought a set of B&J Racing TY250 springs and tried them on my hot rod TY175 (TY250 forks), TY250A (TY250 forks), Godden Majesty (TY250 forks) and KT250 (KT250 forks). They improve the resistance to bottoming on big hits, but I was not happy with them on any of the bikes mentioned except the KT250. They seem to be too stiff in the first half of the travel for my taste, and there does not seem to be enough rebound damping to deal with the extra stored spring energy ie they make TY250 forks even more boingy than they are with standard TY250 springs. If you use heavy oil (and I have tried oils of increasing viscosity from 10WT fork oil up to VMX80 which is a light gearbox oil) to get the rebound working better, the compression damping on sharp hits makes for an unpleasant ride.
The KT with the B&J springs is good as far as bottoming resistance and the action in the first half of the travel when compressing is also OK. I suspect this might be because the KT carries more weight on the front end than any of the Yamahas I tried them in. The KT is a little bit boingy but I am reasonably happy overall with it. The KT forks have different damper rod holes to the Yamaha TY250 damper rods, but are otherwise very similar inside.
I haven't played with the holes in the TY damper rods or tried cartridge emulators.

relax, nothing is under control

Geoff Lewis
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Geoff Lewis » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:04 am

Hi Stan, I borrowed a pair of B+J progressive springs from Mark Beachy some time ago to try to improve the awful action of my CZ forks but came to the same conclusion as David. They made the initial compression too hard and there was no improvement elsewhere. Darren Robinson has some in his TY and that felt pretty good but I don't know what else he had done to the forks, I would suggest you persist with the Majesty magicals angle but go the whole hog with the dampers ,springs and special fork caps. This will give you some adjustability to suit the conditions as well.Surely some one out there has tried these products and could give some feedback.
Regards Geoff

GO CZ!

riffraff
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby riffraff » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Good post mate I am looking at shocks for my ty and appreciate the info

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies so far. I had another ride today with the 10/W30 oil in the forks. Seems to handle the big hits with more control no bottoming out but take a bit out of you at the end of the day. Not ideal but i believe it is an improvement on the 12 w I had in the forks.
Looking forward to some more feedback.
Cheers

Stan

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi
No getting much response to this post so emailed the Magicals in the UK.
No response to the email and their web site has been down for at least a week.

Can anyone help with a contact.
Or another option for fork upgrade

Cheers

Stan

Buelligan
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Cota 4RT Race
Club: AJS + AMTRA

Postby Buelligan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:14 pm

I have put Magicals progressive springs and pre-load adjusters in my TY250 forks with 10Wt oil for a vast improvement in action , Give Magicals another go , willbe worth th effort.

Darren Robinson
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: ty250D/ beta 300 t4
Club: trials club victoria

Postby Darren Robinson » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:27 pm

I used bj springs with 10 w oil found alot better smooth both ways

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi Guys
You can get Magical springs from France Trial Classic. However the guy knew nothing about the Damper rods. I found this post On Trials Central

"The springs themselves are good but it is the whole package that makes the difference.
If budget is an issue I would buy springs and damper tubes and use standard caps.
The damper tubes are the best bang per buck investment.
I have the caps in basically the non preload condition so am not really using what they are designed for."

Magicals site still not up. Anyone know where I could get Damper rods and springs???

Cheers

Stan

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”