fitting tubeless Michelin rears to tube type rims

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TY175, OSSA MAR
Club: WDTC

Re: fitting tubeless Michelin rears to tube type rims

Postby Mark K » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:32 am

Jon V8 wrote:We couldnt get IRC rear tyres here in the UK for a while,but they seem to be available again now.Never found out why it was ..............
I'm reluctant to post this, in case I was told wrongly, but IRC is a Japanese company,and I was told that they were just somewhere up the road from where the Fukushima Power Station was. I had heard that they got earthquaked, tsunamied, and radiated. Whether that's true or not, the timing of the shortage certainly coincides with that crisis.

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi
I got an IRC sent from RockymountainATVMC in the USA. I was surprised the post from them from the US was cheaper than UK. All up it cost me from memory about $165_australian.
I have always found Dunlop Tubless tupe a bit better to stay on but if its a skinney Ty rim it need the Tube type.
Delivery was also pretty good.

sales@rockymountainatvmc.com

Hope this helps

katostrom
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TY175
Club: Denman

Postby katostrom » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:58 am

I have been sourcing all my tyres from RockymountainATV for the last two years, road, duelsport, knobbys and trials and generally (but not always) they can be a fair bit cheaper than local supply and freight can be as little as $20 each with an order of four or more. Delivery is usually less than one week
They currently have michelins, IRC, Dunlop and Pirelli trials in stock (Michelins are not that cheap now though)
Agree well worth a look if you can't get local what you need.

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:09 am

Hey katostrom
That's still no help for those looking for "Tube type" rear tyres. After just having a look on their site, they don't have any either! (in Michelin, Dunlop, or IRC). I'm sure this current supply issue is not just confined to Australia, it seems like it is also a problem with US and UK supplies.

Saying that if anyone is in need, we still have supply of the older Morad alloy 36 hole "Tubeless" style rims found on early Gassers, so you can re-lace the wheel to accept modern tubeless tyres.

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
The Hell Team Trials Store
whoever@thehellteam.com
http://www.thehellteam.com

sherpa
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gasgas/sherpa
Club: pacific park

Postby sherpa » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:59 pm

'In Motion' or Bultaco UK have IRC Tube Type advertised. I have made several 'Bultaco parts'[not tyres] purchases from them in the past and have found them to be very very well priced and efficient to deal with. Orders generally take 4 to 5 days to arrive. The fellow I have dealt with is Peter Bowker. Tyre should be about $130 plus delivery

http://www.inmotiontrials.com/product/i ... rear-tyre/

Cheers Greg

katostrom
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TY175
Club: Denman

Postby katostrom » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Haven't bought any myself but they are showing IRC TR-11 4.00x18 Tube type in stock at the moment for US$113.99 plus freight -i am assuming these are ok for older bikes, but could be wrong.
They couldnt ship some tyre brands in the past due to restrictions (pirelli & metzeler when I tried) but not sure current status of these types or others, but IRC tyres show shipping to aus ok when you load them into your shopping cart and select shipping destination.
However if we can get local then all the better
Rgds

Edit. Anybody tried the Shinko trial tyre, they have them in stock (and cheap) and assuming they are tube type looking at the reviews (all on enduro bikes). Maybe no good for proper trials riding but given my skill level on twin shock as long as its black, round and rubbery and stays on the rim probably not going to affect my miserable scores

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:52 pm

i'm working on it.

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
The Hell Team Trials Store
whoever@thehellteam.com
http://www.thehellteam.com

Gary B
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Gasser ! TLR 250, TY
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby Gary B » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:39 pm

Guy's why not try Dunlop D803 Trials tyres on your tube type rims?
They are a "'Tubeless" tyre but I have used them on 2 different TY175s, recently I fitted one to my Honda TLR250 with no issues.
I used to use the old D801 Tubeless Dunlops on my Fantic 300 & also on the Cota 242 I had 10 years ago.
Never had an issue with any of them.
I have always had two rim locks in the wheel and always used the good alloy ones.

Gary B. from Wollongong MCC.
Now the Old Man in "Team Boniface"
:?

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:28 pm

update on using "TUBLISS" device in the rear rim to allow use of tubeless rear tyres on tube-type rims
I finally got a TUBLISS device from a local bike shop. It was the first one they had ever sold.
Unfortunately, the fine print in the fitting instructions revealed that it should only be fitted with a new tyre, so it might be a while before I can give it a try
Apparently, the problem with fitting it to a used tyre is that the grooves caused by the teeth of tyre clamp on the inside of the tyre cause air to escape past the TUBLISS sealing ring

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”