My Montesa 349 Project

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 349 Cota
Club: NA

My Montesa 349 Project

Postby Kombivan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:38 pm

349 Montesa Purchased 2004/5 with no compression not yet ridden 2014 March

Frame ready for powder coater & old rusted forks I learnt today the 349 frame is shorter than the 247 from top of shocks to the post at the front tried a 71 cota tank on it.

Tub of new Goodies I have been collecting since before I purchased the bike I purchased the new barrel Piston and rings std size before I purchased a 349. I wanted one.

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Re: Montesa 349 Project

Postby Kombivan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Re: Montesa 349 Project - Wheels rebuilt

Postby Kombivan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:28 pm

i had some wheels rebuilt a few years ago at Wheel Works for my montesa cota 247 Bernie made the spokes herself and she did a first class job on the wheels She was in Fredrickton 0265668599. Lovely Lady her Father taught her the trade.

If you want to know the age of your Montesa the year is stamped on the wheels so its good practice to respoke rather than replace.

Knowing the date of the bike is on the rims is reason enough to keep the bike as original as possible and new spokes and a polish and cut back of the rims really brings them up good. I wouldn't have known this had I not being polishing the wheels. If you want to resell and you can identify your Montesa your likely to get the best price for it because people will be able to see its original. I was informed yesterday that I am getting stainless steel spokes so no more rust. :Montesa :twisted:

:Montesa These are my wheels Stainless spokes got them one grade thicker on the front so they don't loosen (stretch) so easily. I had to break the bank and get new rubber, tubes, rim bands and wheel bearings. The respoke cost $620.00 and rubber +tubes & rim bands $290.00 from Taree Motorcycles. Sproket was about $50.00 purchased it years ago and the wheel bearings were 54 pounds plus postage from NOTE, I had to request the wheel seals via email

http://www.inmotiontrials.com/product-c ... s-montesa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The wheel bearings I had not done before FRONT WHEEL: The bearings have a sleeve inside them with a shouldered spacer I found that a XF ford falcon hydraulic lifter tool fitted perfectly just took the end off as it wouldn't fit through mind you don't lose the ball bearing from inside the lifter tool insert it in one side then screw the sliding hammer on adjust the lifter tool so it catches the sleeve and not the bearing and paitently remove the sleeve one bearing will come out with it. Turn the wheel over and punch out the other bearing using a bearing punch.
Replace the new bearings using sockets to drive them in carefully tapping in a circular motion so the bearing doesn't jamb and the socket MUST be the correct size to fit on the outer race and inside the housing in the wheel and ensure both housings are clean with a little wd40 before fitting. Then replace the dust seals I used a lot of bearing grease on mine even though the bearings are pregreased and sealed.

REAR WHEEL: remove both seals then there is a circlip on one side that requires removal. The rear wheels have a spacer between the bearings so a bearing punch through the bearing on one side to the inside of the bearing on the other side and tap both bearings out in a similar manor rotate the bearing punch each hit a 1/4 way around the bearing so it doesn't jamb. When out remove the inner spacer clean parts then WD40 and replace again I used plenty of grease on mine even though the bearings are sealed I do this to keep the elements out when riding. Note, do not use inox on any rubber or wiring harness over time it can make some materials brittle.

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:25 pm

Presently waiting on Chrome guy then its all together.

8) AWSOME 8)

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:19 am

You guys will notice I have picts of my bike and parts on two trials sites well I also advertised on a Montesa Board for parts so some fool has emailed me offering to sell me Montesa parts from the bikes he is stripping down, he sent me photos of the two bikes and the parts well to my surprise I already own these two bikes and parts what are the odds of all the bikes in the world the fool sends me photo's of my own bikes to sell to me what parts I needed. He is going by the name of Ian McKellen of Devon the United Kingdom. Dumber and Dumber but now we have the dumbest.

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Triumph
Club: Wester districs trials club

Postby TriCub » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:28 am

It's his lucky day! Have you sent all the details to the UK police?

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:31 pm

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:13 pm

post edited

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:36 pm

the police would need the time stamp on the headers then video footage to see what car was parked in this airport carparking space when the email was sent. then bingo they got their criminals.

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:35 pm

1975 247 cota sold in 2007 to get a new boat engine.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”