My Montesa 349 Project

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 349 Cota
Club: NA

Re: My Montesa 349 Project

Postby Kombivan » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:15 pm

gearing is too low a ratio for trials might have to gear it up a little. its currently 11 to 44. but be good on the road. also I don't have a slow action throttle grip on it it's pretty instant gotta get used to it. Also those tapered steering head bearings really loosen up the steering take a while to get used to it it also has the later model 3 phase springs in the front forks very smooth and those springs on the shockies actually support my weight gotta clean out the shed now and don't know where to beguin.

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:52 pm

would like to thank Humphrey at Kolorworks, John's Motorcycle Garage (engine & powder coating frame in Taree), Bernie at Wheelworks Fredrickton (respoke), Taree Motorcycles (tyres), Jeff Nolan vintage dirt bikes US, Jarrod Bates southwest Montesa Texas, Vall Moto Spain, Frankiemountain, spain, Dave Renham at Inmotion Bultaco, Hamilton Chrome, Lismore Chrome, Ebay for all those hard to source bits, classic-bike-spares, arvank, obsolete_cycle_parts, billsmcplus, solamotos, how61, twostroke1975, brit_am_nos13, cyclesavant, yourtrash-mytreasure, doughty46, gat55550, straight_up_cycles, jy462709 (with his knives I opened all the parcels), en40bdog (shockies), and the many more plus Trials Australia for the helpful information with enthusiam and kindness and my Wife for the paitence and the smile I saw on her face when she saw me riding it in the back yard today.

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:01 pm

A grade parcipant didn't know I could ride that good :lol:

1973 saftey thongs lack of helment gloves?

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:38 pm

It seems that 1981 was the first year Montesa's had compliance plates the black front wheel on the 1981 models indicate to me these were made when Honda purchased Montesa for the Name and Importers of Montesa's had exemptions from compliance Plates as the importers wern't the Manufacturers of the Motorcycle. They were also road registered in NSW back in the day The Motor Transport Department would inspect and pass them and there were no blue slips back then only pink slips. This means under the second version of ADR from 1 jan 1969 - Febuary 1983 some Importers of Foriegn motorcycle had exemptions from compliance plates and therefore have no requirement to comply with ADR's just headlight,tail light, horn, brake light and mirror and chainguard. Now I will find out if RMS will register my bike or Not. I remember them registered and on the road back in the day does anyone else.

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Montesa Dealers Back in the Day

Postby Kombivan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:30 pm

Gaye Ford Cairns Dealership

Herb Watson WA Dealership

Vince Emely SA

Barry Ryan Parramatta NSW Dealership

Paul Oneil Montesa Spare parts 03 9755 2994 Vic Montesa world spares

Bob Morgan Queensland Dealership

Lopolene .......... Plastic Fuel Tanks are made From.

O'Brien Yamaha Gary O'brien.

Lyall O'Brien Geelong Montesa Importer and Dealership.

Ron Rrazier Newcastle Dealership mainly Bultaco.

Griffith Motorcycles Taree Dealership.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:50 pm

I remember QLD road- registered earlier Montesa trials bikes but don't remember seeing any road-registered 1981 Cota 349s probably because I was mainly doing enduros by then
I have a photo somewhere of a mate's Queensland road rego Cota 172 showing the rego plates if that helps
If it helps your case with the rego in NSW, ADB magazine tests of the late 1970s Montesa enduro bikes like the H6 specifically mention details related to the ease of getting NSW road rego and I seem to remember them mentioning that they had ADR plates fitted by the importer.
I don't remember offhand any aussie dirt bike magazine tests showing NSW road - registered Montesa trials bikes

relax, nothing is under control

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:36 pm

Glen Stud In Newy has a picture of a Ryan's Motorcycle Advert in 1978 listing the road registerable Montesas and the 1978 348 is listed and they wear the 51m Prefix I am finding that the RMS guy might be a bit Over zealous as I read pre 1989 vehicles don't need to measure up to his expetations and Police recon Stat dec should surfice but its still interesting finding old info Mine is a 1980 349. possibly first purchased from Bob Morgan in 1980 and inported by Lylall O'Brien would love some import documents and old rego papers for the Bike anyone got a compliance plate collection? :mrgreen: I hear some of you remove them to reduce the weight of your Bikes. 51m19132 is the magic number i'm looking for. I wonder if there's an old dealer sitting near his import log book right now reading this. YES in my DREAMS. :montesa

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Silencer 349

Postby Kombivan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:55 am

If your looking for an alternative silencer for your 349 a early 80's Yamaha Banshee 4 wheel ag thingy (or earlier) will fit it the connection end of your old 349 silencer is welded on the the Yamaha silencer. only then have to fit a short drop down bracket to bolt it on. :montesa + :yamaha but ensure you use the proper o-rings or you will melt the plastic.

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:17 pm

Ok another tip those fuel gauges on the side of the 349 tanks are just grease nipples 90* with an extension bit. very hard to get in. I've glued washer to nut for inside tank will use Sikaflex 291 marine shit resist water and oil brass washers either side the hardest part will be getting the nipple of the extended tube on the grease nipple once the nut is set in the spanner hoping sifaflex will hold it untill fitted. been at it all day so tomorrow the leak will be fixed I hope. If you want to do a Montesa look alike the extended tube could be heat only no flame soldiered in but I'm going with the sikaflex I think on that joint as well so I can take it appart if need to.

The thread on local nipplie is about 1/8 shy however a flange nut might work with it.

LR52
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: montesa cota 247

Postby LR52 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:23 am

Hi
you might know already try France Trial Classic
great site

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”