My Montesa 349 Project

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 349 Cota
Club: NA

Re: Montesa 349 Project

Postby Kombivan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:09 am

to paint and have your writing intack prepare it then wipe vasoline on your finger not a big lump and proceed to wipe the area's you don't want to paint with the vasoline being very careful not to get it on the surface you want the paint to stick to then paint it and let it dry. If you do get some vasoline in the wrong area remove it with grease and wax remover either supa cheap or bunnings have this.

As you can see I painted the whole of the covers.

I got the cylinder head on and kitted and cleaned the carby.

Multi purpose mower.

Finished product.

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:59 pm

I put on the bash plate today I purchased this NOS about 2005 to my disappointment the thing was out of shape and had the crap scratched out of it....Yes how did the seller get away with this he wrapped it completely with packing tape so I couldn't see the condition till I unwrapped it well its on now. The Cylinder head I tensioned down with a tension wrench I got from Supacheap only to find that I dug out an old wrench a mate had given me in 1983 and I found that it was much more accurate.

Brake lever and drum stay and foot pegs were the order of the day yesterday.

just a pretty picture- What a bugger that brass clutch cable holder was to get in had to tape the nut in the open ended spanner and stick the washer on with grease then it took hours to line it up correctly. You see the alloy chainguard bracket at the rear I got it from InMotion in the UK and they don't fit I think the ones from Vallmoto will they come with the spacer plastic thingies and a washer all in one big saving to buying them seperate as I did.
I got the alloy bracket to fit by straightening it then rebending it to the correct shape and it turned out to be a fraction longer than the original one.

Another picture

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:11 pm

Tripple clamps etc.

Had some interesting dramas setting up the front wheel if it looks off center it might just be that your spacers are wrong size or your wheel could be respoked differently and you could even be using the wrong brake drum if you have a few lying around.

What an issue putting on the kickstand return spring good thing I had 2 and a long screwdriver it took ages.

Now the kickstart lever uses the smallest ball bearing my pushbike shop carries and the spring that goes in behind it is a C-526 available at Bunnings just have to cut 1/3 off and your in buisness.

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:25 pm

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:27 pm

OR

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:06 pm

I been customing the exhaust with a 5lb hammer and i've got it pretty close now just gave exhaust a fresh coat of paint and I will see if any white rubs on to it again when the paint is dry. Was thinking about reshaping the under side of the fuel tank but exhaust is easier to reshape. That looks like a 350 montesa am I correct and not a 349. My clutch cable won't be too close to the exhaust on mine as engine pipe goes back in the centre of the frame and I've also pushed it more to the left hand side so I have plenty of clearence for the clutch. Looks like I'm going with the white tank. There is a different part number between 80 and 81 349 only one didget so many parts are different even though they look similar in the parts book so ensure you have the correct parts book for your 349.

Jake
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Montesa 349

Postby Jake » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi, I was wondering if you know where to find a fuel tap for the 79 Montesa 349?

Thanks in advance :D

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:44 pm

Is there something special about that fuel tap? All the spanish fibreglass tanks I have use 12mm female thread in the tank and taps for these are readily available. One local supplier would be Bultaco Parts Australia www.bultacoaustralia.com
Another would be Don Newell in Brisbane

relax, nothing is under control

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:37 am

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Kombivan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:33 pm

Primary drive side photo's for those like me whom are not mechanics and need to know where the parts fit.

THESE PHOTOS BELOW ARE 1979 349 COTA.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”