Importing late model secondhand competition bikes hurts everybody.

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

nipper
A grade participant
A grade participant

Importing late model secondhand competition bikes hurts everybody.

Postby nipper » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:29 pm

I see you have deleted your article on importing late model competition bikes. Not really benefiting any one by doing this Paul. Such a small market is not helped by bringing in these machines. The loyal new bike buyers are really penalised by your actions by drastically reducing prospective buyers in such a limited market. We all know they rely on selling at a reasonable price that allows them to fund the purchase for a new machine each year or two.

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Re: Importing late model secondhand competition bikes hurts everybody.

Postby The Hell Team » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:56 pm

Which Paul are you referring to Nipper?
I definitely have not removed / deleted / changed any articles on importing second hand bikes.
What was the article about? Where did you see it on the front page, or in these Forums?
Paul Arnott

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
The Hell Team Trials Store
whoever@thehellteam.com
http://www.thehellteam.com

nipper
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby nipper » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:47 pm

OK, If that's the case lets start again on the real substance of the post.
I only ask respectfully, is it really benefiting anyone other than the importer by over loading a small market we have here in Australia.
The loyal new bike buyers are really penalised by drastically reducing prospective buyers, and they are not the only people that it impacts on.
The retailers of the other brand trials machines are losing potential second hand bike buyers as well.
They do not have the capacity to have bikes sitting around. Their commitment to the sport is long standing and done with a love of the discipline.
Trials is not in good shape and we can not afford more losses if we are going to keep our sport viable.

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:43 pm

Ok Nipper please let me respectively state my case in reply.

Firstly I did not delete any posts. I posted an article on my Blog page and The Hell team Facebook page about our incoming shipment of second hand trials bikes from Spain. Both are still there, and NO posts have been "deleted".

The market is not "overloaded" as you state.
There is currently a plethora of people keen to get into trials, but there is a definite shortage of second hand trials bikes to be found. I field calls every day from riders - almost every day the same thing:
* I cannot find a second hand bike, why is there no places to buy trials bikes?
* I want a reasonably priced first trials bike, if I like it I might buy new.
* I've been looking for ages and can't find anything etc etc
There are people out there who want a trials bike now and can't find one.

I have fielded 3 calls already today about second hand bikes. A lot of these folks don't want the new bike buyers one year year old trials bike. They want a 2004, 2006, 2009 type bike they can kick a leg over and give it a try.
A lot of these people already own a dirt bike but want to give trials a go.
At the moment their enthusiasm is being stifled by a very big drought and lack of second hand bikes.

My livelihood depends on selling trials bikes. I am not going to jeopardise the market. There is a plausible and genuine need for more bikes in the second hand market.

This will also bring more people into the sport of trials. New riders means new club members, and more people at events. This benefits us all.

As far as the other retailers go I'm sure if you speak to any of them they will tell you the same story. We all talk to each other semi regularly, and we commonly say: "give me a dozen $3-4K bikes and I would have them sold in a week". There is an opportunity and I am going to do my best to fill it.

If as you say the other retailers "do not have the capacity to have bikes sitting around" then they should not be selling bikes!

C'mon Nipper we need to be professionals, not backyard hobby merchants. As a Trials professionals I need to supply the bike riding public with quality products, good service and choices - as many choices as possible. If that means competition FANTASTIC. If that means lower prices for consumers FANTASTIC.

And hopefully that means more bikes.
More new bikes that we the importers actually holding stock of, not bikes by special order only.
More second hand bikes to choose from.
More aftermarket products , parts and accessories to choose from - that you can get NOW.

Your quote: "Their commitment to the sport is long standing and done with a love of the discipline". Is that love of the discipline shown by not supplying a service to people who want to get into the sport? By fixing price structures by NOT having new or second hand bikes available. That's doesn't cut it.

I still respect your opinion, but I disagree with it 100%, and I'm not sorry about that.
I want to give people choices, variety, quality and respect. There is no disrespect intended in my actions, either to current or future trials riders, or any of my other fellow importers / dealers, and I would encourage anyone else reading this to chime in and add their two cents worth.
Respectfully, but diametrically opposed.
Paul Arnott.

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
whoever@thehellteam.com

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 00 290, 4RT

Postby S.E.Lucas » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:56 pm

Some people don't want to pay 7k for a bike.

Welcome to free market economics.

( •_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:34 pm

Oh, and for those that haven't seen the article in question please see this link.
https://thehellteam.wordpress.com/2015/11/26/second-hand-trials-bikes/

whoever@thehellteam.com

jml
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Gas Gas Racing 125
Club: Wollongong Motor Cycle Club

Postby jml » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:37 pm

nipper wrote:Trials is not in good shape and we can not afford more losses if we are going to keep our sport viable.

I see nothing wrong with a dealer (or anyone for that matter) capitalizing on a market opportunity and trying to fill it, especially when that gap in the market could potentially lead to a cycle of new club riders to the sport and especially ones who could of been deterred away from the sports high barrier to entry (bike availability/price/general lack of familiarity to the sport). If the sport is in such dire straits as you mentioned then shouldn't everyone be sympathetic to promoters of the sport and realize that it's more important to gain traction with making the sport more accessible by providing a range of sensible options to newcomers? Long story short and as mentioned before, some people are just not in the market for new/near-new $7,000/$11,000 bikes especially as a first beater.

Anyone who knows Paul, knows the work he does to promote the sport in Australia (sponsoring riders, events, organizing trials, improving the sport, providing technical help, running trials training, setting sections, the list goes on) It wouldn't make sense for him to attempt to hurt the sport or the market as it would only come back around and hurt him.

I'm fully on board with Paul on this one nipper. :thumb:

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Postby Greg Harding » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:48 am

Hi Everyone,

Having just reread this and followed the link, I now understand what Paul is doing much better!

Thank you Paul, excellent idea =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Trango
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gas gas 300
Club: WDTC

Postby Trango » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:23 pm

jml wrote:
Anyone who knows Paul, knows the work he does to promote the sport in Australia (sponsoring riders, events, organizing trials, improving the sport, providing technical help, running trials training, setting sections, the list goes on) It wouldn't make sense for him to attempt to hurt the sport or the market as it would only come back around and hurt him.

I'm fully on board with Paul on this one nipper. :thumb:

As a long time customer of Pauls I couldn't agree more jml. Only thing you left out was his love and enthusiasm for our sport. Anyone who would open his shop at 5 am on a Sunday morning to accommodate the mad Queenslander who has driven down through the night has genuine passion for the sport. Behind you 100% Paul =D>

dragster1964
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: TL125, 2011 Raga 250
Club: MWMCC

Postby dragster1964 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:47 pm

+1 to jml comments.

Return to “Trials Talk”