New to trials, what bike?

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

bikesparky
Junior participant
Junior participant

New to trials, what bike?

Postby bikesparky » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:58 pm

I'm new to trials but have been riding bikes for years. Initially road bikes but in the last couple of years 4stroke enduro bikes too. Want to get more serious in trials for improving skills and the low speed high skill is more attractive to me than the fast flat out bush rides.
I have been offered a 4stroke trial bike, Sherco 320, for a reasonable price. Not scared of the bigger 4 strokes but the ease of maintenance and the tried and tested 2 stroke option makes me hesitate to take the plunge. I have also been told that these 320's are a handful for a beginner. Any known pitfalls on that model Sherco? Any advice or input appreciated.

Luap
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: GAS GAS
Club: TCC

Re: New to trials, what bike?

Postby Luap » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:23 pm

As a novice I tried to use a 320 and at least for me it was a real handful. The power just keeps on coming.
Maint wise they are just as easy as any other bike oil filter is a washable unit, valve adjustment would be a one every two years unless you were riding every day and revving the proverbial out of it.
If you go with one try a slow action throttle would be my advice.
Since that time I have gone to a 250 2 stroke and not looked back.

jml
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Gas Gas Racing 125
Club: Wollongong Motor Cycle Club

Postby jml » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:26 pm

Are you looking at riding in Competitions with a local club, or just a bike to ride around on for fun... more casual riding?

bikesparky
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby bikesparky » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:18 pm

jml wrote:Are you looking at riding in Competitions with a local club, or just a bike to ride around on for fun... more casual riding?

Casual riding for now as there is not much going on up here in regards to Trials.
Mainly developing skills, cross training for enduro and fun.

jml
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby jml » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:26 pm

bikesparky wrote:Casual riding for now as there is not much going on up here in regards to Trials.
Mainly developing skills, cross training for enduro and fun.

It's somewhat unpopular opinion but I would get a 125-200cc bike if you're looking at cross training or skills development.

xrfethers
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 4RT,tlr 250,450x650r

Postby xrfethers » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:11 pm

depending on your weight a 125-200 could be an issue,70kg and less go the 200,a 125 you will struggle ,4- stroke are hard to master,people made that mistake 25 years ago when the Honda TLR250 came out,i would suggest a mid 2000 250 2 stroke and for starters put on the slow action throttle,if your bike is secondary to your enduro bike you wont do the maintenance required for a 4 stroke and the early 4RT hondas and sherco had fairly aggressive engine braking,i have coached people for years, remember start basic and work your way up your not going to ride a 2014 better than a 2005, but get out there and have fun

jml
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby jml » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:12 pm

xrfethers wrote:depending on your weight a 125-200 could be an issue,70kg and less go the 200,a 125 you will struggle

Just as an aside, I started riding when I was around ~120 kg and the Beta EVO 125 cc hauled me around without drama, yes it needs a bit more throttle and yes it makes a little more noise, but it still can get the job done. The 125-200 capacity is a little more forgiving with an inexperience pilot (such as myself). I think the only thing that might of been an issue was the rear spring as these bikes are sprung for 65-70 kg riders. I really think it comes down to what you want to achieve with the bike. I'd recommend having a go on a few different bikes with varying capacities. I find the 125 really punishes me for bad technique, which is part of the reason I went with the capacity.

http://www.wdtc.org.au/trials-training/ ... ginner.htm

Return to “Trials Talk”