2017 Rule Changes

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Toby Coleman
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Sherco
Club: TCC

2017 Rule Changes

Postby Toby Coleman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:15 am

Hey everyone,

Just curious if you have all had a chance to read the new Rule Changes for 2017? A couple of Changes below. Whats everyone's thoughts?

A few Classes have been removed.

CATEGORIES FOR SENIOR AUSTRALIAN TRIAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
SENIOR TRIAL
Solo
Sidecar
Classic
Post Classic
Youth
Veteran 40 years+
Age Groups: (Removed)
40 - 49 (Removed)
50 - 59 (Removed)
60 - plus (Removed)
Masters (Removed)
Women
Air Cooled Mono Shock (Removed)

Riders must attempt the sections in
sequential order. Promoter has the
ability to start individual classes at
different sections on the course.

Any one that was at Round 1 of the NSW Titles (all 44 riders) I'm sure will agree that this didn't work. I didn't ride and got to see it first hand. A massive line of riders following behind the few Expert riders.

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Re: 2017 Rule Changes

Postby Greg Harding » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:21 pm

Hi Everyone,
Toby Coleman wrote:Hey everyone,

Just curious if you have all had a chance to read the new Rule Changes for 2017? A couple of Changes below. Whats everyone's thoughts?

Riders must attempt the sections in
sequential order. Promoter has the
ability to start individual classes at
different sections on the course.

Any one that was at Round 1 of the NSW Titles (all 44 riders) I'm sure will agree that this didn't work. I didn't ride and got to see it first hand. A massive line of riders following behind the few Expert riders.

Hi Toby,

No I have not read the rule changes but I do wonder WHYa sequential order would be Added?

Is there some benefit that eludes Me?

Or is it just a change for changes Sake?

Just my opinion: anything that adds confusion is a major step in the wrong direction!

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:54 pm

It is also worth noting that non championship classes can now run at the Aussie Titles.

I fail to see a logical reason for the riders to attempt the sections in sequential order. Not to mention the practicality of trying to enforce it.

Copy of the Trials section of the MoMs attached.

2017_MoMS.pdf
(382.98 KiB) Downloaded 366 times

JAKROO
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: nothing at the momen
Club: Pacific Park

Postby JAKROO » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:18 pm

The removal of the age groups seems to favour those who would have ridden masters who ride B line (from memory) whereas the vets ride C because the grading/handicapping is no longer in use. It certainly removes the age grouping identification of competitors, so less ageism opportunities for those interested in being less than 'politically correct' :shock:

It could however increase the entrants in open solo which could now be graded from Expert through to Clubman. In effect, I suspect that the outcome will be neutral in numbers....one would move from riding C in Vets to riding C in Open. Less awards being handed out.

On to 'sequence' - the definition of sequential is things in a consecutive or logical order. It is following a certain prescribed order.

In terms of sequence, most of us who already use the shotgun approach at trials, would do so by going to, say, section 3 and then going to sections 4, 5 6, in ascending sequence. This is different to starting at 3, going to 1, then 4, then 8 then 6 and so on.

For those more mathematically inclined, the forcing of sequence will allow us to be comfortable in using different sequence techniques....every odd before every even, do the the prime numbers before composite numbers, do the factors of 8 before factors of 15 and so on.

Of course, a sequence can go forwards or backwards, and the rules have not really explicitly said you need to do section 2 before section 3.

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:12 pm

Well that's the end for me, no age group, no ride, just saved 10 grand on buying a new bike.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:19 pm

I remember reading the proposal for having to ride the sections in a set sequence (and having a good laugh).

I will try very hard not to be critical here and just say what I remember of the reasons given with the proposal:

1 It will avoid two-way traffic on the loop
2 It will mean that riders spend more time spectating and will learn to ride better from watching the top riders go through
3 It will be easier for observers at the end of the trial (sorry I can't remember the logic given for this one)

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:26 pm

I knew that Veterans was going to lose the age categories, but didn't realise until now that Masters was disappearing.
I suspect that this will put off many of the Vets who may find the section severity has been adjusted upwards to cater for the ex-Masters riders who will now probably be riding in Veterans at the Aussies

JAKROO
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: nothing at the momen
Club: Pacific Park

Postby JAKROO » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:31 pm

David, it will achieve #1, who knows about #3 but won't necessarily do #2. The rules state that 'the Promoter has the ability to start individual classes at different sections on the course', so to avoid significant pooling behind others, I would imagine this being done more often than not....and realistically, once we've all done the first lap, the quicker riders have gone through and passed others they may have started behind.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:33 pm

PA wrote:I fail to see a logical reason for the riders to attempt the sections in sequential order. Not to mention the practicality of trying to enforce it.

I was just about to repaint one of my bikes in the usual shiny and bright colours, but with this new rule I think I will use a camouflage colour scheme, and combined with camo riding gear, I will be able to ride to sections in any sequence I choose and enjoy my trials riding as much as I did in 2016

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:39 pm

David Lahey wrote:
PA wrote:I fail to see a logical reason for the riders to attempt the sections in sequential order. Not to mention the practicality of trying to enforce it.

I was just about to repaint one of my bikes in the usual shiny and bright colours, but with this new rule I think I will use a camouflage colour scheme, and combined with camo riding gear, I will be able to ride to sections in any sequence I choose and enjoy my trials riding as much as I did in 2016

I think the other PA sells Camo bikes. :D

Return to “Trials Talk”