Where are all the entries ????

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock
Club: SQTA

Where are all the entries ????

Postby Twinshock200 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:19 pm

There is a great thread on the UK Trials Central (TC) website trying to identify why they are loosing riders in todays events compared to what they had only a few years ago.
Numerous theories are being put forward and I raise this topic here because without a doubt we have the same problem which is pretty obvious from my perspective after riding trials in Australia since 1980.
If readers think I'm wrong, fair enough, but nobody including riders, clubs, officials or the sales of bikes could convince me that our sport is growing.
Have a read of the Trials Central topic, Where are all the entries???? http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/top ... ent-454070

Galps

Pre 65 Classic bikes

Steve S
C grade participant
C grade participant

Re: Where are all the entries ????

Postby Steve S » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:20 am

If the decline is real, I would say that, as a newcomer to (photographing) trials but with decades of involvement in many other forms of motorsport, I reckon marketing is to blame, or rather a lack of it. I can't recall the last time I saw trials on TV or mentioned in the media and this lack of promotion will inevitably lead to continuing decline, in my opinion.

Now more than ever, a sport must have a highly-visible profile if it is to attract and retain competitors, because despite people generally being more affluent than ever, they have so much more choice when it comes to recreation. In this way, trials is itself competing with all the other leisure activities, along with competing products aimed at soaking up our discretionary spending.

This is dangerous because, I assume, the various trials organisations can only spend money on promotion if they receive it from competitors and, with entries falling, their 'marketing budget' inevitably falls with it. This might mean that there is a shrinking window of opportunity to launch a campaign - unless of course the governing body can somehow persuade governments to divert a proportion of its spending on sports toward trials. Perhaps this should be the priority.

I would suggest that the growing interest in electric trials machines could present an opportunity here. As we all know, governments are usually keen to support 'green' initiatives and so perhaps a grant could be sought in order to promote electric trials and all its environmental angles, in the course of which trials in general could be promoted.

There are lots of ways in which trials could be promoted for free, too. For instance, whenever a town or city has a large public event, the local trials community should offer to provide a display, demonstration or take part in the parade. Somebody could also contact the TV companies and offer to provide, free of charge, some riders to film a segment within a relevant leisure or sport programme. Somebody should also ensure that every trial event is flagged to all internet "What's On' sites. There are plenty more and this just covers the promotional side - marketing would also include developing a sophisticated understanding of what competitors (including prospective riders), sponsors, organisers and all other stakeholders want.

To paraphrase somebody much smarter than me, "Advertising is completely unnecessary - unless you want to survive."

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

yamfan
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Various
Club: pathfinders/ajs

Postby yamfan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:41 pm

Trials in WA hasn't been this healthy for years, although we can't run a Nationals our entries certainly haven't decreased and in many classes they are growing ie:Sidecars & Juniors.

outforfun
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: WDTC

Postby outforfun » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:18 am

I have to agree with Steve S.

Mototrials is not marketed in any way like other motor sports. We see the V8 supercars, motogp, motocross, pretty much if it's got an engine in it sports on the TV news, why not our sport?

I've never seen an add for an event online, on TV or heard it on the radio. If you're not already in the trials community and on facetwitter, you won't know about upcoming events or results for them.

The silly stunts of captain risky is doing more to promote trials than we are. A couple of years ago a TV crew was invited to and filmed at the twinshock masters at Connodale, but I have no idea what ever came of that. We don't even see a newspaper journo at the Qld titles.

It seems like the only advertising we do to bring spectators and new competitors to trials is telling our friends to come give it a go. We all know that trials is great fun, but how do we get others involved to help grow the sport?

My 2 cents worth.

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock

Postby Twinshock200 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:38 am

Personally I think there are quite a few reasons our sport isn't growing and there is one common factor in most issues and it has the initials MA.
Section severity, Marketing, costs and distance have also been brought up.
MA,MQ are not responsible for section severity or distance but could have a big impact if they ever got involved with marketing and publicising trials and reducing permit fees and rider levies to make it more reasonable to run or enter an event.

I recall an advert that was placed by MQ several years ago for a Marketing Manager with an advertised salary of $75,000 pa and I believe an appointment was made but I have never seen that person at a trials event or seen any of their efforts to promote trials in the last 8 years.
I haven't been to every event so I could well be wrong (it has been known !) and I'm sure somebody in MQ (or MA) will read this and rush to point out the good work they are doing for trials !!
Trials in Queensland is at its lowest point that I can remember and I have been riding here since 1980.
Before anyone shoots me down, yes, I have done my share of running clubs from scrutineer to President, setting sections and being an official for MQ but I cannot do it any longer due to age, operations, senility, costs and a reluctance to work with guys who only have their own personal agenda's for motivation.
Sorry but its up to the governing bodies to throw in some assistance, ideas and interest, don't forget how many riders have started in trials, lost interest and gone on to enduro, extreme events and motocross, trials is a development and training ground for all those .
I think I will volunteer for the MQ Trials sub committee next year.

Pre 65 Classic bikes

sybella
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Honda

Postby sybella » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Hi all , As the president of the central Queensland trials club, i would like to say trials in central Queensland is going ok . With the introduction of FREE entry and Free licensing for kids under 12 our club is going along just fine . We the cqtc held the Queensland titles for the first time outside the SE in 35 years , having trials motorcycle in bike shops with posters around the central Queensland area proved very successful. I get annoyed with the continued bagging (grubbing ) of the way things are done . The Queensland titles were split over two separate occasions , one for moderns and one for twinshocks , which proved very successful. A total of 100 riders. Not bad for a struggling trials community. Well done to the TCQ club. It is very hard to compete with the range of sports on offer in todays world Western districts just put on a gate trial , from all reports it was very successful. Gympie are now up and running and are looking to grow there membership. The simple answer is either your goin to be part of the solution or part of the problem. Don't tell us what you can't do, tell us what you CAN DO.cheers Baxy

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Postby Greg Harding » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi Everyone,
Twinshock200 wrote:There is a great thread on the UK Trials Central (TC) website trying to identify why they are loosing riders in todays events compared to what they had only a few years ago.
Have a read of the Trials Central topic, Where are all the entries???? http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/top ... ent-454070
Galps

Roger, I have followed your link and tried to read it all but my attention span is too narrow for so much text without any photos to break it up.
1504675925380.jpg
1504675925380.jpg (104.84 KiB) Viewed 10248 times

Steve S wrote:To paraphrase somebody much smarter than me, "Advertising is completely unnecessary - unless you want to survive."

Steve, I like how you think. Your photos tell me you do your own thinking and I am very Impressed!
outforfun wrote:I have to agree with Steve S.

The silly stunts of captain risky is doing more to promote trials than we are. A couple of years ago a TV crew was invited to and filmed at the twinshock masters at Connodale, but I have no idea what ever came of that. We don't even see a newspaper journo at the Qld titles.
My 2 cents worth.

Don, just my opinion but I think the Captain Risky adds work because they are new and fresh.They continue to re-invent him instead of doing the same old and wondering why it no longer works?
Twinshock200 wrote: I think I will volunteer for the MQ Trials sub committee next year.

Excellent news Roger.
sybella wrote: Don't tell us what you can't do, tell us what you CAN DO.cheers Baxy

Tony, after thinking about it for a while, I remembered something that our :TAS: Tasmanian friends do from time to time. This works:
1504690515669.jpg
1504690515669.jpg (271.1 KiB) Viewed 10248 times

1504690545928.jpg
1504690545928.jpg (69.45 KiB) Viewed 10248 times

For the record, I have deleted the add because Graham might think I am selling his :Bultaco: for $500.

Another thing I have noticed is NO Trials Riders from :TAS: Tassie EVER complains about MA because MA NEVER got their foot in the Door!

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:43 pm

I might also say that you are selling two of my bikes for $500 each Greg but I won`t. The sport has been a bit quiet this year but it always has good years and bad years. Holding the Australian Titles last year did take a bit out of all of us who helped to make that event the success it was. It will improve with the help of all of the riders and the clubs. Graham.

Dirt_drifter
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gg280
Club: Wmcc

Postby Dirt_drifter » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Have to agree with above re MA. They do nothing for the sport but take money. Clubs and volunteers do all the work. I refuse to join MA out of protest.

.. using Tapatalk

ianrogers
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Beta Beta

Postby ianrogers » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:33 pm

There is definitely an inbalance here that never seems to be addressed openly within the affiliated community & that is, why is it that our Trials Des Nations national teams have to crowd & self fund so much to get overseas. Where do all your licence fees & rider levees go? If your self appointed ruling bodies aren't willing to contribute toward them then they aren't going to throw money at grass roots PR are they. It's a sad fact that Trials will always be the forgotten step child of motorcycling which leaves each & every trials club in the country responsible for taking charge of their own destiny alas. Believe it or not, the heartland of world trials, the UK, has the same ongoing problems, so your not alone.
It's a sad fact that the high profile events that attract the funding are the very ones responsible for turning people away. Everyone loves to watch the Toni Bou's of the world perform but if you're not a trials enthusiast you are gob smacked but go away thinking, "I could never do that"! It's like going to the circus. I wonder how much effort is made in promoting grass roots club trials at these events, probably not a lot???

"The older I get the better I was"

Return to “Trials Talk”