Where are all the entries ????

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

ianrogers
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Beta Beta
Club: SQTA

Re: Where are all the entries ????

Postby ianrogers » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:29 am

And furthermore, I have a solution to change the face of Trials & its dwindling numbers. Since the obtaining of a road bike license has been changed to an act of attrition over 24 months now, at least in Qld anyway, obviously to address some of the nuffies out there who couldnt ride their way out of a wet paper bag, why not approach the relevant State Governments with the suggestion a compulsory 3 to 6 month trials involvement be introduced into the process whereby every rider wishing to get a bike license is required to have trials riding experience. We trials riders all know the benefits of trials training/riding & how it filters thru to all the other motorcycle disciplines & talk about a win win for everyone. Can you imagine how many riders would follow thru & continue their involvement with the sport once completing their course, bringing new members & funds into every club in the country?
Now there's something concrete that the self appointed ruling bodies could canvas thru the relevant state governments that would bring some real return on your license fees & rider levy donations.
Perhaps that could be your first order of business when you join the sub committee next year Roger Galpin???

"The older I get the better I was"

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Well I suppose I'll stick my oar in here... The people running the sport REALLY need to listen up, because we are a dying breed/sport if we don't encourage our kids to ride. And yes, the poor kids as well as the rich kids!

The barriers to entry are IMHO ridiculous.
My grandson is 12 years old, he needed a wealthy benefactor to pay for his entry fees etc for his very first trial today. I supplied the bike, but even though it's an old TY 175 it was illegal apparently, (max 125 for juniors? who thought that little scam up? my theory is, it's the blokes who sell the new 125 bikes!) I have another bike for him, but that's illegal too (a TXT280).
What a joke! Seriously, give me the rationale as to why a 12 year old can't ride a 175? Is it REALLY about the distributors making more money? That's pretty damned sad. (Don't tell me it's about power output please, because you'll get hit with a LOAD of data to disprove that). Tell me why it's not a scam.

So what, do I have to go and buy him a 125 that will be useful for 1 or at the most 2 seasons? (Pensioner here... not so much dosh handy!)

Many of us just don't have that disposable income. Many of the people involved obviously have no financial issues judging by the 'rigs' in the carpark, but PLEASE understand that many people just can't afford all that.
We need to encourage poor kids into the sport too, not just the kids from wealthy families.

Is my grandson to be locked out of the sport because he only has a '73 175 TY or 02 TXT Gasser to ride?

Please tell me. (But at the same time make sure you tell me why entries are pathetically low).
3, yes grand total of THREE juniors today.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Juniors 7 to under 13 can ride up to 200cc and 13 to under 16 can ride open capacity in MA trials if it is on a twinshock

relax, nothing is under control

Twinshock200
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Classics & Twinshock
Club: SQTA

Postby Twinshock200 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:18 pm

Responding to Ian Rogers suggestions,,,, I couldn't imagine MQ or MA officials ever having any success persuading government to enforce trials training before issuing a road licence.

But,,,,,,, it would be possible for them (MA/Q) to actually promote trials by introducing a rule that requires a newcomer to whatever branch of motorcycle sport to have participated in 10 trials events or done a full season as a trials rider to improve their bike control skills before entering any type of speed event..

Everyone I know agrees that knowing how to control a trials bike has helped them in their fitness and other branches of motorcycle sport, just ask Jeff Smith, Sammy Miller, John McGuinness, Mick Doohan, all champions and world champions and there's heaps of others.
This is a suggestion that MA/Q could actually bring in so what do others think, voice your opinions

Pre 65 Classic bikes

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:33 am

There's me shootin' my mouth off again!!!
My apologies, I was misinformed about engine capacity. :oops:

Trango
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gas gas 300
Club: WDTC

Postby Trango » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Twinshock200 wrote:Responding to Ian Rogers suggestions,,,, I couldn't imagine MQ or MA officials ever having any success persuading government to enforce trials training before issuing a road licence.

But,,,,,,, it would be possible for them (MA/Q) to actually promote trials by introducing a rule that requires a newcomer to whatever branch of motorcycle sport to have participated in 10 trials events or done a full season as a trials rider to improve their bike control skills before entering any type of speed event..

I had similar thoughts reading Ians post but I don't think it would be implemented. Forcing potential riders in another discipline to go to the expense of buying a bike and gear and waiting a year to ride their sport may drive riders away which would not suit MA. An argument may be made for requiring those riders to complete 1 or 2 trials coaching courses before getting a racing licence. If club members were happy to rent them a bike for the day it would lower the cost and possibly leave them with a better feeling from their trials experience rather than being forced into a deeper commitment. Just a thought

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:06 pm

i have said for a long time now, we have to look at the Juniors and new comers to the sport. Without them we will be gone. Of course we can ooh,ahh at the World Class Lads and Lasses but look at the lower grades and help them. Support them and keep them interested in a sport they love and enjoy..or they will walk..
Why isnt Clubman Grade included in the Aussie titles? I know Ive asked this before, but I firmly believe they should be included. If the riders are good enough to ride all year, why not let them have a crack at the Titles.
Nurture the lower grades, promote the great motorcycle sport that it is and you will get the numbers...

Feet up, as always!

outfit65
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby outfit65 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:00 pm

Interesting thread this one - and hosting the Australian Championships this year has bought something to light that is of concern.
With a week to go until entries closed for the Championships, there had only been 30 junior entries, and of that 5 were Mini Trial support class entries. So our 3 junior Championship classes had a total of 25 entries!

Of the 30 entries, 15 are from the host state, SA, and as we are doing well at the moment with juniors, averaging around the 20 mark at most events, and they are spread from B Grade through to Mini Trial here in SA, that wasn't a big surprise.

What was a surprise, and of concern, was that only 14 entries had come from the rest of Australia (and 1 from New Zealand)

The full breakdown was this;
SA; 15
QLD; 3
NSW; 3
WA; 2
Vic; 2
Tas; 2
ACT; 2
NZ; 1

Now, with entries due to close in 24 hours, there are 46 junior entries, 10 of which are Mini Trial, 10 Open Junior, and 13 each in Under 13 & Junior Women, with SA still leading the way!

Full breakdown is now this;
SA: 20
NSW; 7
Vic; 5
QLD; 3
WA; 3
ACT; 3
NZ; 3
Tas; 2

I know not everyone can travel, but it was hoped that with the Championships in the school holidays for all states that they would attract at least 60 entries - or 15 in each class - but it doesn't look possible now!!

I know a couple of eligible juniors who have turned 16 since January 1 are, either, not coming, or are entering Youth, so i guess the question is this - where is our future, where are our future TdN riders, where are our future Open Solo & Women champions - where are they going to come from??

Sidecars - its betta to have a swinger than fly solo!

MAG66
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: beta
Club: WDTC

Postby MAG66 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:31 am

I have thought in most Sports too much gets spent on the elite end instead of the weekend warrior
If you look after the grass roots the top end can usually maintain itself

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:03 pm

thats exactly what Ive been saying!!!

Feet up, as always!

Return to “Trials Talk”