Grades?

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

yamfan
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Various
Club: pathfinders/ajs

Grades?

Postby yamfan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi everyone, I have noticed that the latest Vic results have a Trial 4 plus grade C+ ? why did we move to the new grading system with equal steps to the next grade and then invent another grade?

outforfun
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 2002 Sherco 290
Club: WDTC

Re: Grades?

Postby outforfun » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:59 am

Hi Yamfan, was it an extra grade or just explaining for people to understand the new grade names compared to the old ones?
As in trial 4 is C grade.

I think the number system was because it seems trials in Australia is a kin to the railway system. Every state needs to reinvent the wheel and have it's own system to feel the have a unique ID, rather than having a unilaterally recognised system so that riders from all states can easily identify the grade they ride in a different state. State titles for example.

I am not quite sure why the + grade is added to grades. It is kind of like telling the kids if they don't do the right thing by the time you count to 3... 1, 2, 2 1/4, 2 1/2, 2 3/4... No wonder some clubs have trouble with all of the grades at their events.

I may be wrong, but it sure seems that way.

Kurt
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Montesa, SWM, Ossa
Club: TMTC

Re: Grades?

Postby Kurt » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:19 pm

outforfun - I believe the number of grades is the same between QLD and VIC.
If we compare (the old names) between states:
Expert=Expert
A grade = A grade
B grade = B grade
C grade = C+ grade
Clubperson = C Grade
Introductory = Clubman

Why is there a '+' Grade?
The answer to this is in the history of the grades. C+ started in Tasmania because it was recognised that there was too big of a gap between C and B grades at the time.

Instead of setting a whole new line for another grade to bridge this gap it was decided that riders could follow the existing C grade line and deviate from this to a more difficult obstacle where appropriate denoted by C grade arrows with a + marked on them.
Therefore it was decided to call this new class C+ Grade.

From this position it is logical to include a Trial 4+ grade due to the ease of transitioning from the old grade system structure.

Return to “Trials Talk”