why are moto competition licences so expensive?

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

bigdamo
B grade participant
B grade participant

why are moto competition licences so expensive?

Postby bigdamo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:37 pm

I race MTB XC and a open MTB licence is $80.00.To race a club round will cost me $10.00 or $20.00 at one track($10.00 of that goes to the land owner)I know insurance comes into it but i would say MTB xc is probably the same or more dangerous than moto trials and Down hill would have to be far more dangerous than Trials. :?:

seiko
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: montesa repsol 4RT
Club: RTC

Postby seiko » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:18 pm

If you enter an Australian Title MX event it costs about $250 per entry... Licence costs $275 per year. And of course the damage/doctors bills... :-P

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 00 290, 4RT

Postby S.E.Lucas » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:16 pm

seiko wrote:If you enter an Australian Title MX event it costs about $250 per entry... Licence costs $275 per year. And of course the damage/doctors bills... :-P
I thought a national license was more than that :?

outfit65
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby outfit65 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:53 pm

Senior National Licence costs $255.50 per year.
Better than it was a couple of years ago - was around $280.00

Why is it so expensive??
Without going into specifics it is something like this.
A couple of bad prangs in the last few years in other facets resulted in big insurance payouts, so all of a sudden noone wanted to insure MA and its affiliates - the price we have now is the result of the insurance premiums.

Unfortunate, as it made the sport look unsafe - but more people get killed walking across roads or from lightning strikes, and there are more season ending injuries each year in the AFL!

I guess it comes down to the fact that whether we like it or not, motorcycling is looked at as a high risk sport, which it is, obviously, at least to some differing degrees in most facets.

Maybe, and I hope I am way off the mark on this as far as motorcycling goes, there are also a few people in sports now days that go the "American way" and if they get hurt, it is not their fault it is someone elses fault and they sue!

We had to love an expensive sport!!!
Outfit

Sidecars - its betta to have a swinger than fly solo!

lewry family
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby lewry family » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:21 pm

Restricted Senior and Junior National licences for mototrials only are $175 each.........(just had to send a cheque for 2 today). The application form explains the difference in fees payable between Senior National and Restricted National.

Regards
Lewry Family

Trials.......the family sport

seiko
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: montesa repsol 4RT
Club: RTC

Postby seiko » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:20 pm

Yeah National Open @ $255.50 and National Restricted @ $175..... Not doing any road racing anymore (too expensive!) so alot better just to pay the wee little trials fees me thinks... :|

ajharry
C grade participant
C grade participant
Club: Juventusmcc.org

liscence

Postby ajharry » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:24 pm

This topic has been out and about for years. I have mentioned this with particular MA delegates and not sure if further research is being done but this is the score in the UK:
Trials liscence lets you ride any UK trial (not FIM). Cost doubled a couple of years ago, is now 10 (ten) pounds. It does state trials on the liscence and other disciplines pay only slightly more. Ok the pound is strong but...
And the Uk is definitely a few steps ahead in the blame claim sarga so I'm not really sure what the crack is or theory but they are some facts.
There also was a death last year on an open practice site and prices / levies have not changed - isn't that what insurance is for? Also i'm guessing the average trials rider in the UK rides at least 3 times as many trials as the Aussie counterpart - shouldn't that mean greater risk to be insured? For example I've ridden 11 trials in the last 11 weeks, yep, trials heaven...
Most trials entry fee is 12 to 18 pounds pending national level etc Championship £25. The best value trial in the world is the SSDT at £275.

keep your feet up!

r2wtrials
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: swm tl 3203
Club: Zona 1 mcc

Postby r2wtrials » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:16 am

... what he said above!!
Why the hell are you so expensive over there?... We get a photo licence for a tenner that means i can ride in any trial in the uk apart i think from British championship. Around here the average entry fee for an event is around 12 quid. Be that club trial or an open to centre event. Sounds to me like you are getting screwed over there.... what is the break down in costs, and how does that amazing licence fee get justified.
Reminds me... must get a licence this year at some stage!!! :o

austini
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby austini » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:04 pm

In WA we pay $10 per trial + $175 for a licence, we ride around 25 trials a year so that equals $425 per year thats not too bad I think.

10 pounds + (25 X 12) = 310 X 2.5 = $775 were cheaper in WA depending on how many trials you ride, saying that we don't hand out many trophys either.

R2 does the ACU (UK) licence give you any insurance coverage ie: lost didgets, limbs, death etc:?

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:28 pm

austini wrote:R2 does the ACU (UK) licence give you any insurance coverage ie: lost didgets, limbs, death etc:?

He may need to ge and check with Barry.

Return to “Trials Talk”