Environmentally Friendly?

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

DIESEL DAN
C grade participant
C grade participant

Environmentally Friendly?

Postby DIESEL DAN » Tue May 01, 2007 5:55 pm

Was interesting to see the introduction of Enviro Mats for national and Vic offroad championships (enduro)

I made a mental note on sunday while at Vic Troy1 Tooborac, Section markers stuck to rocks with silicon, no enviro mats while re-fueling adding oild or lubing chain.

Are we falling behind the 8 ball?

Also is it common not to sign anything to say you have been at riders briefing?

Also the dirt track we parked on, was it a public road or private property?

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Wed May 09, 2007 7:16 pm

Dan

Let's face it, when a trials bike uses less fuel in a month than neally any other motorcycle, digs up less ground, makes less noise and usually only gets ridden on private land and organised events, (edit) are you on about???

If everyone rode a trials bikes there would be no need for knobby tyres, less erosion, less noise, less emissions and the list goes on and on! When the rest of motorsport gets to use about 2lt of fuel for the whole day then we might have them at the same level as us! The average enduro/trail bike rider spills more fuel than a trials bike uses in a day!

Make a statement, sell your KTM!!!

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Wed May 09, 2007 11:56 pm

BJScorps, you are missing the point, views are changing about the environment and they way we act and access what we all take for granted. (like Johnny Howard in regard to Kyoto)
Changes as far as legislation and so forth are probably on the horizon all ready.

Think about it this way, if no one makes an effort or starts to act like they are responsible for their actions, or begins to set an example like Diesel Dans post, then we really do have our heads stuck under some rock in a section!

It is interesting that this has already taken effect with that enduro event. I believe a post in the VMX site said that some clubs have paid up for their club members carbon tax for the year!

I know this sounds all pedantic and anal retentive stuff, but think about this: If you dont start to work within the changes, they will work against you in the long run if you resist, and decisions will be made for you without your input.

The enduro guys support Tread Lightly for some years due to land areas being closed to them, and so the 4WD clubs. Maybe us on the side like you say, do less damage etc be dragged into the firing line one day, but will get no support if dont start being involved from the start before we get restricted one day for what we love doing best!

Just my point of view.

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Ben Z
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Ben Z » Thu May 10, 2007 9:30 pm

Just for interest sakes,

A few months ago, I submitted the topic of enviromats as an agenda item for discussion at this weekends commission meeting.

We will all have to wait and see what these discussions result in.

Cheers

Ben

-------------------------------------------
Finding it tough on a solo??
You should take up sidecars!
At least you have someone else to blame for the 5!!!!!!!

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu May 10, 2007 9:59 pm

Please someone tell me what is an enviromat is made of and who sells them. I think I want to buy one/some.
Thanks

bryan
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby bryan » Sun May 13, 2007 12:04 pm

Despite trawling the internet for information on "enviromats", it appears that no specific product exists.

The specifications on the references I could find requested a non-porous ground sheet, and that a peice of carpet was not acceptable.
Something I read suggested that a blue tarp was good enough.

I would think that a bike sized piece of lino would be suitable, does anyone know more?

I will be interested to hear what comes from the commission meeting.

My opinion is that this is an unnecessary step to take to control a problem that doesn't exist to any measurable degree (in trials, in my opinion - show me data that states otherwise).

That said, if it gets forced it on us, who cares, it'll make a much nicer surface to work on bikes, stetch before events and get changed before and after the event without getting grass on your socks.

Speaking of unnecessary steps, as far as I knew, signing on after rider briefing is required (I think) as per the MOM's. But really, does signing that form actually mean anything? After all, you've already signed an indemnity form to enter the event, and driven past a sign at the gate that states that motorcycling is dangerous etc etc, in 20mm red lettering.
What's next, each rider to supply his/her own solicitor to check the individual competition contract?

Finally, Dan, can you explain further your concern of using silicon glue to stick the markers on the rocks (which we subsequently ride over and generally beat around with various expensive pieces of plastic, rubber, aluminium and steel, all day) ??????

Bryan

outfit65
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby outfit65 » Sun May 13, 2007 4:18 pm

Hey All,

The enviromats have just come in here in SA as a compulory item in Motocross, Enduro & Reliability Trials, but as yet not moto trials.

This is a rule that has filtered down from the FIM to MA and the SCBs are just falling into line. There is nothing we can do to stop it, or its eventual intoduction into Moto Trials.

Where it might look to us as a bit of a 'wank factor' and another piece of legistration put onto motorcycles, it does make it look like we are doing the right thing by the enviroment, and the greenies, which will safe guard the future of the sport - and isnt that the important thing in all this?

But the bottom line on all this, and it has been touched on above, if you don't want to use one, the solution is easy - refuel your bike and oil the chain BEFORE you leave home. These are the only time that you have to use a mat. Problem solved!

Our Club has purchased a batch of mats for our juniors and any members that need to buy them. They cost our members $2.00 per mat, with our juniors given one freebie each - not much to stay on the right side of everybody is it?

Happy Hopping
Outfit

Sidecars - its betta to have a swinger than fly solo!

DIESEL DAN
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby DIESEL DAN » Mon May 14, 2007 7:26 pm

BJScorps wrote:Dan

Let's face it, when a trials bike uses less fuel in a month than neally any other motorcycle, digs up less ground, makes less noise and usually only gets ridden on private land and organised events, (edit) are you on about???

If everyone rode a trials bikes there would be no need for knobby tyres, less erosion, less noise, less emissions and the list goes on and on! When the rest of motorsport gets to use about 2lt of fuel for the whole day then we might have them at the same level as us! The average enduro/trail bike rider spills more fuel than a trials bike uses in a day!

Make a statement, sell your KTM!!!

I spill far more fuel re-fueling my Gas Gas than my ktm because my ktm has a quick fill neck. Get on board or be left behind. Pull your head out of the sand and don't take everything for granted. Just because your events are held on private property doesn't mean your safe from regulation.

DIESEL DAN
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby DIESEL DAN » Mon May 14, 2007 7:29 pm

bryan wrote:
Finally, Dan, can you explain further your concern of using silicon

I have a fear of my breasts becoming as big as as scorper rider :shock:

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Postby Starky » Tue May 15, 2007 3:20 pm

Interesting read. Now I know what those tarps are for under the rally cars and the Dakar bikes when the crews are working on them. I thought the tarps were there to pretty things up for the camera and if you droped a nut or washer you had a darn good chance of finding it. :lol:

I don't mind the idea of the enviromat, however in the Queensland heat I can see a squeal from the greenies as a tarp or similar product will kill the grass under it in twenty minutes through solarization. :roll:

I could get a nice yellow one and get Beta wrote on it in big bold lettering and make meself look real professional. :P

Starky :beta

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

Return to “Trials Talk”