Environmentally Friendly?

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

nipper
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby nipper » Tue May 15, 2007 4:19 pm

Starky wrote:

I could get a nice yellow one and get Beta wrote on it in big bold lettering and make meself look real professional. :P

Starky :beta

Get a Gas Gas and you will BE a professional ! :D

and better still you won"t need a mat . :thumb:

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Tue May 15, 2007 6:33 pm

You guys have really missed the point!

What about the twinshocks???

Will we need to have drip pans out at the queue lines for sections and little tins wired underneath them to catch the drops as they ride????????????

Will subjuniors have to ride electric bikes because they get that much sludge in the tailpipes they drip oil from the exhaust?????

Quote Dan
"Just because your events are held on private property doesn't mean your safe from regulation.

Don't get me wrong, I think we all need to think about how our actions can impact on the environment and the rules we should follow. As a matter of fact I worked as a local gov environment officer for a number of years so I know all about rules and regulations.

The best answer is education not regulation. Most problems occur because people don't know or don't think. Armed with a bit of learnered advice the majority will take more care and those that don't will never obey the rules anyway. There is more to being environmentally responsible than a bit of plastic on the ground and taking your rubbish home to the right bin. I said at the start of this thread that I believe Trials bikes are much easier on the environment than other off road motor vehicles (whether competing or recreational) Many enduro riders are swapping back to trials tyres rather than knobbies and using traction not wheelspin, all we need now is to get them riding 70-75kg bikes with quiet exhausts and the greenies would see a real change in culture.

Take my word for it, more would be achieved with a sound level meter in the state forest than an enviromat under my Scorpas.

And no I have not had breast implants (it is all pure muscle :wink: ), but I could use a bigger heart if I ever plan on going up a grade!

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

DIESEL DAN
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby DIESEL DAN » Fri May 18, 2007 8:48 am

BJScorps wrote:You guys have really missed the point!

Will we need to have drip pans out at the queue lines for sections and little tins wired underneath them to catch the drops as they ride????????????

Will subjuniors have to ride electric bikes because they get that much sludge in the tailpipes they drip oil from the exhaust?????

Quote Dan
"Just because your events are held on private property doesn't mean your safe from regulation.

Don't get me wrong, I think we all need to think about how our actions can impact on the environment and the rules we should follow. As a matter of fact I worked as a local gov environment officer for a number of years so I know all about rules and regulations.

The best answer is education not regulation. Most problems occur because people don't know or don't think. Armed with a bit of learnered advice the majority will take more care and those that don't will never obey the rules anyway. There is more to being environmentally responsible than a bit of plastic on the ground and taking your rubbish home to the right bin. I said at the start of this thread that I believe Trials bikes are much easier on the environment than other off road motor vehicles (whether competing or recreational) Many enduro riders are swapping back to trials tyres rather than knobbies and using traction not wheelspin, all we need now is to get them riding 70-75kg bikes with quiet exhausts and the greenies would see a real change in culture.

Take my word for it, more would be achieved with a sound level meter in the state forest than an enviromat under my Scorpas.

And no I have not had breast implants (it is all pure muscle :wink: ), but I could use a bigger heart if I ever plan on going up a grade!

There was no point to be made BJ, just a discussion about a few points.
Yes Education is the key! Perhaps you need some education on what an Enviro mat is. We are not here to point the finger at other codes, just merely having a look at how we can better ourselves and keep in touch with the latest good practices The introduction of enviromats is a good practice just like the time limit of A and Expert in sections.
When dealing with chemicals, fuels and lubricants, my business has procedures and up to date practices in place to contain and deal with spills and accidents as they happen.
Also if a bike has an oil leak or fuel leak it does not pass scrutineering and if sustained in competition must return to the work area, be fixed then re-scruitineered before returning to competiton.

BJ My post was designed to get people talking, and from the post here we can assume that the majority of people would accept the introduction of enviromats as common sense. The minority of people would disagree, but then again there is always a minority (remmember the greens?)

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Postby Starky » Fri May 18, 2007 9:28 am

DIESEL DAN wrote:
BJScorps wrote:You guys have really missed the point!

Quote Dan

There was no point to be made BJ, just a discussion about a few points.
Yes Education is the key! Perhaps you need some education on what an Enviro mat is. We are not here to point the finger at other codes, just merely having a look at how we can better ourselves and keep in touch with the latest good practices The introduction of enviromats is a good practice just like the time limit of A and Expert in sections.
When dealing with chemicals, fuels and lubricants, my business has procedures and up to date practices in place to contain and deal with spills and accidents as they happen.
Also if a bike has an oil leak or fuel leak it does not pass scrutineering and if sustained in competition must return to the work area, be fixed then re-scruitineered before returning to competiton.

BJ My post was designed to get people talking, and from the post here we can assume that the majority of people would accept the introduction of enviromats as common sense. The minority of people would disagree, but then again there is always a minority (remmember the greens?)

Hey Fellas

Maybe I have missed the point as BJ says. I thought he was having a little light hearted dig at the practicality of the enviromats for the twin shocks. I didn't take it negatively. The rest of his message I thought was very relevent as well because noise is a very relevent current issues as well. Some of the twin shocks are noisy little suckers. 8)

Then Dan comes in with some more excellent information. Really an extension of all the above points. Very excellent points.

Education is always needed as people have to be informed and none of us know it all.

Both of you guys are right- keep the ideas and conversation going.

Now this part is a little calmer for the situation. When my wife gets up me (She has hypoglycemia and regularly gets upset at little things) I look her straight in the eyes and say "You keep it up and I will kiss you". The immediadte effect is she will calm down and see the situation for what it is. We are a team working for the same goals we just see some issues diffrently.

I value both of your very informed opinions. :D :D :D

Or OOPS HAVE I MISSED THE POINT AGAIN?????

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Fri May 18, 2007 4:43 pm

Starky

Problem solved!!!!!

I might just get one of these, no noise, no fuel and if I use vege oil on the chain not too much to worry about in the way of lubricants. And most of all it's about my level of power capability and small enough that I can carry it though a section for a messy three if need be :wink:

These little electric bikes will be sold here soon, who knows, maybe we'll end up fueling the generator on the emat to charge up our full sized trials weapons in the future or having helmets and plastics with inbuilt solar panels.

Can you imagine waiting at a section in total silence and no fumes, nah wouldn't be the same.....would it?

BTW, did you know in parts of Europe they have been using vege oil in chainsaws as a chain lube for over twenty years. Maybe we could get McDonalds to refine their used oil into an enviro safe chain lube, at least we know we wouldn't be putting anything with nutrients into the ecostructure!!!!!

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Sat May 19, 2007 12:25 am

Another alternative to using vegie oil as chain lube, is Lanolin.
You can get in an aerosol can too in Bunnings. I found it flicked off quicker, so had to use more than the usual stuff. Great lubricant however.

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Postby Starky » Mon May 21, 2007 8:48 am

Hey BJ,

An electric bike now that would be neat. You would not have to worry about stalling it or having to kick start it through a section without putting your foot down.

However it is still not the total "clean" answer as you need to burn coal or uranium to get the electricity or fuel to run a gererator or as you point out you need solar cells charging a string of batteries on a trials day. But you will solve the noise problem.

Just think electric bikes could be used in every suburban back yard. If everyone in a town block had a trials track in their back yard you could link twenty or thirty sections together without leaving home. Now I am just getting silly aren't I. :oops:

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

Phil
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: GasGas
Club: TCV

Electric trials

Postby Phil » Wed May 23, 2007 7:34 am

Hi all
Found this for you Bruce.

http://www.hench.net/Trials.htm

There also was a story on the lewisport web site a couple of months a go
of a guy in the USA that had fitted a electric motor to a 315 Montesa.
It may be the way of future.

Phil
Attachments
electrials.jpg

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Wed May 23, 2007 9:56 pm

C'mon, it's almost the end of May, not April 1 !!
How can we find the A Graders if you can't smell the 'good oil'?

Feet up, as always!

flatslide
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Any sponsored bike

Postby flatslide » Wed May 30, 2007 6:33 pm

My enviromat is now full of oil, do i just throw it in landfill now?

Flatslide

Return to “Trials Talk”