How would one get started with trials bike riding?

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

topari
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby topari » Fri May 18, 2007 10:43 am

I’m 48 years old. Been riding since I was 12. Rode MX, some enduros and lots dual sport riding. I’m a regularly motorbike commuter. I love motorbikes and feel the need to keep riding to maintain my form. Trials has appeal. Looks like fun and a lot safer and I can take the family to events.
MX these days has all but been ruined by big jumps.

So how does one start? What sort of bike? How to practise?

Regards
Tom

paulm
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BSA Bantam
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby paulm » Fri May 18, 2007 12:42 pm

Hi Tom
Welcome to the family - a good way to start is to take a look at the Coaching Manual (link below) lots of good info there
http://www.trials.com.au/contributions/trialman.php

Next get yourself along to a local event - calendar link below and talk to anyone at the event - - trials riders and their families are the friendliest bunch of motor sport nuts you'll ever find.
http://www.trials.com.au/calndrs/calendars.php

If you’re in NSW, there's a National event run by TCC on Sunday near Gundaroo - great place to start cos you'll see everyone from absolute tragics (like me) to some of the best male and female riders in the country – with bikes from 70’s and 80’s right up to the latest brand spanking new super machines. The sections are marked out with 'ability' based routes so you'll quickly get a feel for the sort of 'class' you can start in. Link to directions for Sunday below:
http://www.trials.com.au/BB2/viewtopic.php?t=2567

Hope this helps and good luck

Regards

Paul Mac

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Postby Starky » Fri May 18, 2007 12:45 pm

Hi Tom,

You sound to be in my position. I am 53 and started this year.

I am in the DSMRA with my DR650 so I just asked some guys around me who do you talk to about trials. Sure enough they knew a couple fellows locally who rode trials. I talked with them and I then bought a 2003 Beta 200cc and started riding with them. We do not have an offical club but we do have a course and I have my own six acres.

As soon as you get to know someone they all come out and introduce themselves and ask you out riding.

I am sure there are many diffrent ways to get started but if you approach a club or another rider in your area they will put you on the right track. Even dealers will introduce you to riders.

Starky :beta

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

Phil
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: GasGas
Club: TCV

Getting started

Postby Phil » Sun May 20, 2007 8:46 am

Hi Tom
Glad to hear you are interested in trials.
I see that you are located in Victoria.
If you follow this link,
http://www.trials.com.au/absolut/articl ... cleID=1022
it will take you to the club contact page.
We have a trial coming up on the 27/5/07 at Anakie being run by the Sporting motorcycle club
may by worth a drive to meet a few people
all of the dealers will be there also.
Hope to see you at a trial soon.
Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Phil.
BMCC/TCV

topari
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby topari » Mon May 21, 2007 10:21 am

Thanks for the nice replies. Bought a Ryan Young DVD. Will try to get to Anakie. The Montesa 4RT looks really good.
Tom

SteveRed
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby SteveRed » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:40 pm

Hi, another Noob here... I am also in my mid 40's and ride a variety of dirt, dual and road bikes... Hey I even have an old R6 for the track! But Trials has been something I have both revered and feared but I would like to get started. Does anyone offer instruction? Any courses run near Sydney?

Cheers

Lovin Life... For Fun!

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:57 am

Hi Steve
Being situated at Galston , Sydney your just a short drive to Pacific Park, Maroota Sydney. Our local Trials Hub and home of the Pacific Park Trials Club.
Pacific Park is a Motorcycle and Waterski Park, available to the general public for a small entrance fee, but the owner is a Trials rider himself and the park has massive Trials riding acreage. (It was the venue for the 2004 Australain Trials Championships)
On the weekends there is always trials riders around willing to offer assistance, someone to ride with, or a try out of their bikes. It's a very social atmosphere!
As part of my position as Scorpa Importer, I have run some Trials Schools there , utilizing the talents of some of our expert local riders, and will have some more towards the later part of the year. But the best thing is get talking to a few people ,get yourself on a bike and get out there, there's no shortage of helping hands.
Useful contacts in Sydney
http://www.pacificpark.com.au Phone: 02.4579.1019
Pacific Park Trials Club - Keith Marchant Phone: 02.9635.0537
http://www.thehellteam.com
Feel free to call if I can help further.
Paul Arnott

Tony C
C grade participant
C grade participant

New riders

Postby Tony C » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:58 pm

Steve,
if you (or anyone) would like to see some competitive action, the next scheduled trial is at Peebles Rd, Arcadia (near the end on left), next Sunday 17th June.
Sure to be riders of all grades & at this rate, a very wet trial.
Directions can be seen on "Direction Listing"

Tony

SteveRed
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby SteveRed » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:46 pm

Thanks Paul!

Tony I have just got back from Brisbane and will endeavor to get out to see some of you guys in action this weekend although it is scheduled for a downpour on Sat & Sunday!?

Cheers

Lovin Life... For Fun!

Return to “Trials Talk”