Australian Champion V’s European Australian Champion

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Should European Riders be eligible to win the Australian Championship

Poll ended at Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:22 pm

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 39

Promo
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Promo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:22 pm

The 2007 Manual of Motorcycle Sport General Competition Rules clearly state under ruling 23.8.3.2 that

RIDERS OF ANY NATIONALITY MAY BE AWARDED THE AUSTRALIAN CHAMPIONSHIP. The Moto-Trials Commission recommends that the promoter provides a trophy for the best Australian should an Australian not win the title.

Whilst this ruling only affects a handful of Australian riders in the results list, I hope that the promoters of the European entrants consider the devastating effects this may have on Moto-Trials for this country. The organizers may increase interest for 1 event but where does that leave the Australian Moto-Trials community for the rest of the year?

How do we promote Moto-Trials or our own riders in Australia when the National Title leaves our shores. History shows our title has left our shores 7 out of 12 years but Australia has received no praise, no international support, overall no benefit. Various individuals receive personal benefits but not Australia as a whole.

2005 – Shaun Morris UK
98-99 – Dan Clarke UK Exhibition Rider
2002 – Warren Laugesen NZ
2001 – Sam Ludgate UK
1999 – Warren Laugesen NZ
1995 – Stefan Meriman NZ
1994 – Graham Jarvis UK
1993 – Stefan Merriman NZ

The best scenario from the past 10 years was in 1998 or 1999 when Dan Clarke competed in the Australian Championships as an exhibition rider. This allowed the Open Solo riders to compete with a skilled European rider, gauge their own skills against his but by being an exhibition rider, Clarke did not affect the Championship standings.

I urge the promoters of the Australian Championships, the European riders and their supporters to enter these riders as exhibition riders so as to not affect the Championship and future promotions of an Australian Champion.

If we cannot promote an Australian Champion how will the sport survive in Australia?

I know my thoughts will create a heated discussion but look at the overall picture. I am not against European Riders participation, just the affect they may cause on the championship and future promotions for Australian Moto-Trials.

Think About This: Dougie Lampkin rides the Spanish Championship but is not eligible to win because he’s not Spanish!

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Australian Champion V’s European Australian Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:40 pm

Promo wrote:Whilst this ruling only affects a handful of Australian riders in the results list, I hope that the promoters of the European entrants consider the devastating effects this may have on Moto-Trials for this country. The organizers may increase interest for 1 event but where does that leave the Australian Moto-Trials community for the rest of the year?

It's possible your posting is a sly attempt to increase publicity for the upcoming Titles, but just in case it really is your opinion...

Was Australian Trials really devastated after the 2005 Aussie Titles when the international riders took out the top placings at Canungra? Maybe I missed out noticing the devastation because I enjoyed that event so much. What is your evidence of devastation?

Excluding the most highly skilled people from winning our Titles wherever they come from would be Australia's loss. Bring on the Kiwis, Poms and anyone else who honours us by coming to ride at this far-flung outpost of the trials world.

outfit65
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby outfit65 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:05 pm

As far as I know this post has not come from the organising club, my club the Keyneton MCC, so it is not a blatant attempt to increase promotions.

We would like to think that the quality field that is being assembled will be more than an enticement to come to the Barossa for Trials Week 2007 and enjoy some fine riding.

I also don't think this should cause heated debate as it is not a bad topic, but I also think if any European riders are willing to travel half way around the world, mostly at their own cost, to compete in an event where there is no prizemonies on offer they should be allowed to win the top prize.

If I was a Colin or Kevin Zar, or Boyd or Mitch, or any top Aussie rider and I won an Australian Title by beating any European, or Kiwi for that matter, fair and square it would make that victory even sweeter. (Cast your mind back to Wayne Gardner winning the Swann Series in the early '80's against overseas opposition for proof)

It looks likely that we in SA will have a number of overseas riders with outstanding careers to watch at the Titles this year, and yes it will draw more people through the gate to watch, what we hope will be a great battle for the Aussie No 1 plate.

If some of those spectators that come through the gate because of these riders then take up the sport and numbers increase that would be an added bonus, because at the end of the day that is what having an Aussie Titles in your state is about - promoting the sport and using the best available riders to do it.

Happy Hopping until Trials Week 2007

Outfit

Sidecars - its betta to have a swinger than fly solo!

lewry family
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby lewry family » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:15 pm

Just to add fuel to the fire :wink:

I'm not really sure where my opinion lies, but these questions are worth pondering in relation to the Australian Trials Championships.......

Should the Melbourne Cup only be won by a Victorian Horse?

What about the US Open in Tennis?

Sydney City to Surf?

Dubai Classic in Golf?

Americas Cup in Sailing?

Only just a handful of examples.

Maree
:lol:

Trials.......the family sport

Warren Laugesen
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Warren Laugesen » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:49 pm

So would you class a Kiwi as a top international rider and there for not elegible to win any more? I understand the point about using the local champ to promote the sport but this would be very unfair for the Kiwi rider who is really only in the same level as the Aussies. Maybe the wording could be "Australisians are elegible, but not Europeans". Then what happens if young 17 year old Pat Smadge came over from the USA and cleaned you all up which he would from what I saw of him last month in Europe, then is he elegible? Its a can of worms, leave it as is.
For the record I actually beat Dan in 99 on total points lost even if he was an exhibition rider which shows it can be done.
Having Internationals riding your events will do more for the sport than local rider promotion in my experience. Not only is it good for promotion but it lifts the level of riding which filters down through all grades.

CRAFTY
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby CRAFTY » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:08 pm

Of course Kiwis are welcome. Who else can be so much fun at before and after parties?

keithj
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Gas Gas 250
Club: OMCC

Postby keithj » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:12 pm

Great topic!

I reckon, yes, they should be eligible for a win. These international riders take themselves seriously. I would think it a bit rich to be asked to fly half way around the world to ride in a National championship event for no award. What's the point? A week's holiday? Better off going to the south of France for a week and not lose the travel time.

I do agree with the MA bit about supplying a trophy for best Australian, and I'm sure any rider who was in that position could spin that fact pretty well in a press release.

Here's an up-side: When Shaun Morris lists among his achievements "2005 Australian Mototrials Champion" people over there might actually say "Wow - they have a mototrials championship in Australia!" thus Australia benefits! :mrgreen:
(OK, maybe a long-shot...)

Let 'em in, and let 'em win (if they can - go Laugo!).

Keith.

-> Mouse Magnet <-

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:42 am

Graham Jarvis lists his 1994 Australian Championship win as a career highlight on his website.

Sherco Qld
Dealer
Dealer

Postby Sherco Qld » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:05 pm

I like the idea that the Australian Championships attrack the overseas riders to Australia.To see such a field of past,current and future overseas champions in Australia make's our titles even more special for the riders and spectators.

The top Australian rider's in the top 10 always get a huge applause.

Does anyone know of any overseas riders for this years championships?

Scott :lol:

outfit65
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby outfit65 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:52 pm

Hi Scott,

At this stage we have 90% confirmed 2 riders from the UK (Shaun Morris & Ben Hemingway) and well over a dozen Kiwis.

Supp Regs will be available in the next few days and Ben has put up a website for all the info, go to http://www.wroxton.com.au/AMTC.htm The AMTC is case sensitive.

Also available now are the supp regs for the South Australian Titles that start Trials Week 2007, the week before, go to http://www.ajs.asn.au or http://www.motorcyclingsa.org.au

As well you will find all the details for the Master Games Trial on Wednesday 10th in the middle of Trials Week 2007 on the AJS site as well.

Happy Hopping until then
Outfit

Sidecars - its betta to have a swinger than fly solo!

Return to “Trials Talk”