Section marks & order

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Cadman
Junior participant
Junior participant

Section marks & order

Postby Cadman » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:21 pm

Having checked my 2007 manual, I'm unable to answer a q I have re section marks.
Knowing I can't cross my tracks, is there any rule that says I have to pass markers in a particular section in any particluar order?
Bit hard to describe in text, but lets say we have 2 markers Y & Z.
Y is closer to start than Z.
Y says I pass on RHS and Z on LHS

Can I enter section, do a clockwise "U" turn around Z and come back and
pass Y on RHS. I have passed both markers on correct side, and approached markers from the "front" and I havn't crossed my tracks. Only 'rule' I may have broken is not doing the markers in order of distance from the start gate. But I can't see that rule in the 2007 manual anyhow.

Given State titles & Aussie coming up, I just wondered what the rules where on order of passing section markers.

TIA for any info.

Edit: For clarity I changed markers in description to Y & Z

Phoenix
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Phoenix » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:47 am

It doesn't really matter how you read the sections just as long as you ride your markers....
just remember next time you read a section, just think that you can only see your markers......
all the other ones a invisible

Frank van Heerden

VIVA MONTESA

Cadman
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Cadman » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:32 pm

Phoenix wrote:It doesn't really matter how you read the sections just as long as you ride your markers....
just remember next time you read a section, just think that you can only see your markers......
all the other ones a invisible

Sorry I should have said marker Y & Marker Z (rather than A& B). Both markers I'm talking about are my grade. I'm asking re the order I have to ride them in, & if there is some rule not in the book that covers it?

Edit: a pic = 1000 words?
Attachments
sectionmarks3.JPG

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:31 pm

Yes that issue sometimes crops up when navigation is purely by gating.
Most times one interpretation of the gate sequence is plainly easier than the other. Sometimes the section setter intends the gating to be able to be ridden either way, with similar degree of difficulty, leaving the choice to the individual rider.
In some countries the gates are numbered so that the sequence is unambiguous. This seems an obvious solution.
Does such a simple concept really have to be in the MA MOMS before it can be used in a Title event?

bryan
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby bryan » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:16 pm

Honestly, I think it should be specified in the MOMS before being used at a title event.
When people are travelling across the Tasman and Nullarbor and the like, to ride for sheep stations, it pays to be very specific about simple things like numbering gates and intended direction of travel.

example:
On one side of this great country, numbers are in common use, on the other an "X" is marked on the "face" of the arrows to indicate the direction of travel.
To the uninitiated the X could be either an expert line, or if there were no experts present, just an old expert arrow turned around the wrong way.

If you just plain didn't know of the local "X" equals direction of travel rule, you might find yourself in an argument with an observer or organiser, where technically both of you are right - yeah you inadvertently went the wrong way, but where is the rule that backs up the unique local system of specifying it?

I don't like arguments but I don't like getting fived for rules that aren't really rules in titles events.

The closest the MOMS come is to suggest that the section should be defined by natural barriers wherever possible. This is practically impossible with clubbies to experts all in the one set of tapes.

How impressive is it though, when you watch a whole field of riders struggle with a section, then just one rider spots a "smarter" line and cleans it. Obviously everyone else copies on the next lap, but providing the rules are followed, what's wrong with that?

Bryan

Cadman
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Cadman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:26 pm

bryan wrote:How impressive is it though, when you watch a whole field of riders struggle with a section, then just one rider spots a "smarter" line and cleans it. Obviously everyone else copies on the next lap, but providing the rules are followed, what's wrong with that?

Bryan

That's prob my point. Just because no one else spots the line, does that make it non-legal?

In my example I suspect the setter "intended" line to be on RHS of Y *then* LHS of Z. But does that make my example line illegal?
As you pointed out, would be nice to know before Aussies & the transfer of sheepstations.

Phoenix
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Phoenix » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:20 am

Just because no one else spots the line, does that make it non-legal?

hey Cadman if you see an easier line or a line that know one else sees ,well good on you.

What I have done in the past is I've told the observer who is marking the section the line that I am taking and they see it the way I have, or even decuss it with the blokes that you are riding with.

Good luck at the Aussies.

Frank van Heerden

VIVA MONTESA

Return to “Trials Talk”