Trials bikes entering in Enduros?

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

kembro
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Rev3, DRZ

Re: Trials bikes entering in Enduros?

Postby kembro » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:01 pm

http://www.bluelightride.com.au/
That's the link for the website. 12 months to get the details sorted Stu.

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:23 pm

thanks for the link, kembro. Noe I don't have an excuse not to ride..

Feet up, as always!

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:35 pm

Stu

I think the Blue light might be a bit crowded for the TY, too many throttle jockeys looking for OF's on slow bikes to use for a berm :P

I'm going to check out a few events this year and maybe run one on the SY250F (one reason why I still have a full MA license). I have the long ride tank and :roll: seat :roll: so I can go about 25km on fuel. I have found that the clutch is too light to pull the 12t front sproket so I might invest in a Yamaha WRF clutch pack for the enduro scene. The step up from 9t to 12t otherwise makes the bike Ideal in the bush although I might try a smaller rear sprocket just to get the chain out of the mud a bit more. If you look at an SYF you will see the rear cog is even bigger than the 4RT. The key thing I have found with the SYF is the added engine braking saves using the binders. Not so bad on the TY but late model tiny discs and pads the size of two finger tips don't like pulling you up from 100kph. And yes and up geared SYF will go that fast :shock: but you need at least 10psi in the rear tyre or it feels like a jelly fish on ice!!!!

I think they run one at Three Bridges which is just the right terrain for a feet up bike and small enough loops that I wouldn't need a fuel bottle and enviro mat stashed half way around the loop.

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:22 pm

BJ was that a typo? 25km range with a long range tank on an SY250F?
I know what you are on about with the brakes issue. I've seen plenty of boiled brakes and blue discs on modern trials bikes during mountainous trail rides.
Stu you are on track riding the TY250 twinshock at one of those trail rides. They have a great fuel range if jetted well. Last mountain trail ride I did used less than half a TY250 tank (about 2 litres) and covered 40km in 3 hours so it was a slow and technical ride. The Beta Rev3s on the same ride all refuelled part way and still ran out before the end (3 litre tank).

relax, nothing is under control

kembro
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Rev3, DRZ

Postby kembro » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Not long 'till the Beta's get a long range kit (tank and seat), to extend that whopping 3L fuel range a little further. Looks trick too, but at what cost.

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:47 pm

David,
when I was riding competitive, I used a full tank plus a top up if needed all day! When I trailride at a mates place, I use maybe 2 tanks in 4 days riding. So I reckon I could get a decent ride at a closed Enduro without refuelling. I'm riding near Lithgow soon, so that will give an idea how much fuel I use.

Feet up, as always!

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:12 pm

David Lahey wrote:BJ was that a typo? 25km range with a long range tank on an SY250F?
I know what you are on about with the brakes issue. I've seen plenty of boiled brakes and blue discs on modern trials bikes during mountainous trail rides.
Stu you are on track riding the TY250 twinshock at one of those trail rides. They have a great fuel range if jetted well. Last mountain trail ride I did used less than half a TY250 tank (about 2 litres) and covered 40km in 3 hours so it was a slow and technical ride. The Beta Rev3s on the same ride all refuelled part way and still ran out before the end (3 litre tank).

:lol: dAVID,

nO TYPO, the SY250R 2T (standard tank) goes as far as the SY250F (LR tank) and the TYS175F with the 3.3lt tank does about the same (the 143cc just has to work harder pulling my 95kgs). If anything the 2T may go a bit further(after all it is only a grown up version of the TY :wink: ). The key thing is the jetting, the 2T gets jetted leaner to get more HP but the 4T likes more fuel. In the case of the 07 SYF a lot more fuel.

Without flaring the 2T v 4T argument this is what I have found. The 2T with less grunt and more instant throttle response on trails means less time on the throttle, were as riding the 4T I tend to use the grunt. Often this means I have more throttle open while the engine is at low revs and bogging than I would on a 2T (hence bigger jets to compensate for more air). This lets you ride using the bottom end of the 4T and makes it pull like a train. The down side is twofold -

Obviously I am using more fuel :oops:
And secondly if you break traction the engine rapidly picks up revs as spins up big.

I have no probs handling the latter because I grew up riding low reving grunty 4T's but a Camel full of premium unleaded doesn't maintain body fluids!

BJ

KTMSprocket
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby KTMSprocket » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:54 pm

Don;t want to hijack the thread...but roughly how far (kilometres) does the SY250R Longride do on a full tank? I have just bought one and got a week out of it - stuffing around in the woods for a few hours each day.....but I'd love to know how it translates into K's. Cheers

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:31 pm

Sprocket

If it is full longride the gearing in a bit taller than a trials version fitted with the bigger tank, the 6 speed gearbox help the go a lot further too. I think you could get 60km out a LR or maybe even 70km depending on terain. If it is a trials version with the LR tank chuck an 11th front on it and it will be just as good and you don't need a longer chain. I have new 10 & 11 front sprockets in stock for $22.00 + postage. That's about 2/3 of the RRP from the importer.

BJ

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:36 am

Stu wrote:ok now I'm stuffed. No rec rego in NSW and no learner's licence. Oh well i tried...

Stu, I haven't read the rest of the thread but if your TY is pre-compliance why not shove some lights on it and get it registered with the RTA?

Is it time to ride yet?

Return to “Trials Talk”