Trials as training. Racers on trials bikes.

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

yoda
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: GG280, ZX6, GSXR600
Club: TCV

Trials as training. Racers on trials bikes.

Postby yoda » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:08 am

There was a thread on TC a while ago but im thinking we should come up with a bit more Aussie one.
I'm interested in riders wrom other disciplines using trials as a training tool, or coming from a trials background...
For example,
Dani Pedrosa, Moto GP
Ricky Carmichael, MX, Supercross
Chris Pfeiffer, Euro stunt riding champ

I think it would be interesting to have a bit of a list... I know of a heap more, if anyone is interested?
Any ideas?

Professional faller off-er

kembro
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Rev3, DRZ

Re: Trials as training. Racers on trials bikes.

Postby kembro » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:31 am

David Knight - GNCC Team Ktm
Juha Salminen - multi times World Enduro Champion Team Ktm
Stefan Merriman - Team aprillia

Not sure if they all still ride Trials, but it's where they learn to stay upright.

motocentral
Dealer
Dealer

Postby motocentral » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:42 am

We sold a Sherco to Casey Stoner last year (although I'd stop short of crediting that to his awesome year but you never know) Also Steve Martin, former Aust junior trials champ bought a Sherco off us direct from the factory to train on at his Swiss base while he competes in the WSBK champs.
Shawn Giles, Suzuki Aust Superbike rider & multi Oz Superbike champ rides a tidy 2005 Sherco. seems to be a trend here with the road race guys....
I have pics of a young Mick Doohan riding in an arena trial in Brisbane in an old bike mag also.

Play with Gravity

Warren Laugesen
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Warren Laugesen » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:05 pm

Yip here is a good one. Josh Coppins rides his Gas Gas bikes every summer when he comes back home to NZ and rides at the Non stop trials park in Nelson. He was getting really keen last year and doing quite well but this year his injuries have prevented him from riding the trials bike much at all as he doesnt want to risk any more damage. Also Josh came out the other week and spent a few hours talking with young Jake Whitaker at the park when Jake was there last a few weeks ago. Jake found this very good and got lots of great advice about being a professional rider in Europe. (Jake is arriving in Italy as I write this ready to begin his year with the Future trial team). Ben Townley also used to have one when he was based in Belgium a few years back and used to ride it a bit there. Shane King used to own an Older Monty which he brought back from Europe when he won his world MX title but i dont think he rode it much.

gmandas
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Gasser
Club: AJS of SA

Postby gmandas » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:13 am

Not quite on the bikes, but motor racing just the same - The last issue of Trial Magazine lists Colin McRae, the late multiple World Rally Champ as Scottish Intermediate Trials champion whilst only in his teens - then riding a Montessa 200.

DIESEL DAN
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby DIESEL DAN » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:52 pm

Aussie Riders,
Jehi Willis Vic #2
Blake Hoare Vic #1
Anthony Roberts Aus #1

and pretty much all the Professional riders in Enduro do use trials bikes as training.

as the saying goes "Trials riding will improve your Enduro riding, but Enduro riding won't improve your Trials riding".

gmandas
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Gasser
Club: AJS of SA

Postby gmandas » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:06 pm

Troy Corser, former World Superbike Champ has a SY250 Scorpa for cross-training purposes.

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:46 pm

Supercross and Motorcross legend Ricky Carmichael uses a Scorpa to cross train.
Carmichael had ownership of the AMA national motocross championship, with his clean sweep of all 12 races in 2006. The rider from Havana, Florida wheels out the Yamaha powered SCORPA SY250 on a regular basis for cross training. Ricky says trials riding improves his balance, clutch and brake control as well as just being a great way to have fun with a few friends! Also on Scorpa's are Régis LACONI, Stefan EVERTS, Stéphane PETERHANSEL, and Cédric Mélotte.
Attachments
scorpa-rc.gif

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
The Hell Team Trials Store
whoever@thehellteam.com
http://www.thehellteam.com

restoremaz
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby restoremaz » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:14 pm

Im no racer or champion, but i recently got back into enduro,and long trail rides.
I rode scorpa trials bikes for a year,and learnt a lot of skills with pacific park trials club.

the skills i use all the time out on the trails,up the big climbs,and down the big drops.
When going up rocky stuff, i always pick the hardest path, just to test my skills and keep in practise :lol:

Oh and a lot of the trail guys are fiting trials tyres to their trail bikes for optimum grip these days.......i am to in a month or so when my bike (xr250 ) needs new tyres 8)

TY80 a model side cover and air box tube wanted.

My videos www.youtube.com/restoremaz

BAT Woman
LittleMissBrainy
LittleMissBrainy

Postby BAT Woman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:57 pm

In 1975, at Mt Kembla, Wollongong, I rode my 2nd ever Open Trial & their was a young lad there riding for Uncle Brian's Bike Shop Team (Dapto) on a TY80, same as mine. He was very impressive. Next time I met him was 1983 at Brands Hatch, UK, he had already wrapped up the GB RR Champs, so it did not matter that he crashed out. One Wayne Gardner!

Return to “Trials Talk”